Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Nov 23, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #181 of 1,652
  From the AMA, apparently:

"current output impedance for the proX is 4.7 ohm, but they will look into this."

If this is true, it is a serious problem. The player only has enough power for IEMs, but won't play well with any with high sensitivity or IEMs with resistance under about 20ohm.

So if i have Westone W3's with impedence of 30 ohms, i should be fine?

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #182 of 1,652

So if i have Westone W3's with impedence of 30 ohms, i should be fine?

Maybe, balanced armatures can have different impedance for each driver. It will depend on the driver impedance, not the reported impedance. It may also be the case that you won't be able to hear any difference even with an impedance mismatch. The output impedance isn't necessarily a problem, but it can be a problem.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #183 of 1,652
Not a flaw by design, just one to consider if you have hard driving IEMS.
It is a hifi and Visual DAP streaming/ cloud DAP. Their PHA jumps in to cover, our side of things.

Playing devils advocate, not Phantom Seiun rep. For IDGG users PRO PRO X v nice dap and android use combo.

It's not a cheap TOTL Dap but designed to be used in conjunction (if) larger inpedance headphones are used, with the PHA amp.

Sorry guys, I pointed people here from the IDGG comments section for extra information. So feel an obligation to balance out views for the less informed. I am using this as a 3 way Server/ cloud transport for my OPPO ha1.
The hardest driving cans I'll have will be my B+W P7s but I will drive them off the PHA out and about.
My CRK10S and FLARE R2B'S off just the PRO X.

If you feel Iam being biased let me know. we can only guess from what stats are being released by CDRIVE until one of us get hold of one.

IDGOGO backers coming here worried for normal use Pro X, not an issue and don't need a PHA unless they want a PC Amp or bigger Cans.Or want the full Eco system for home set ups and on the go.

I still think this is a good deal and one I can get past the wife..

Opinions always welcome and agree CD could strike a better balance.

Glad to be home in the warm after cold Devon...

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #184 of 1,652
It is a hifi and Visual DAP streaming/ cloud DAP. Their PHA jumps in to cover, our side of things.

Actually, the problem is not hard driving IEMs, it's that high sensitivity IEMs with any driver with a low impedance might have clipping, distortion or other audible detriments to sound. It's easy driving IEMs that are the problem, you know the ones that any iPhone can drive with no problems. The power is enough for almost all IEMs on the Seiun Pro and Pro X, but that high output impedance may make a substantial proportion of them not sound right. It might not be an issue, and maybe you like the distortion, if it happens, but it is definitely a risk, and definitely something they need to fix. For a transport with 256+ storage capability (because of USB OTG), it is still worth the price, but it may not fulfil it's purpose as a DAP and could turn off newbies to hi-fi if they hook up their Shure SE215 or Brainwavz S0 and it sounds like crap (no idea if those will sound like crap, or if any will for that matter). Ironically, the target audience for this is unlikely to have the headphones least likely to be effected by this: Planar magnetics. I think this may drive the OPPO PM-3 and the Audeze EL8 just fine.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html?m=1

I think the Pro and Pro X will be great transports, to make them great DAPs, that output impedance needs to get under 2ohms, end of story.

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #185 of 1,652
Cheers Glass, teach me for not reading and typing while the wife's driving at crazy speeds back from the seaside and not knowing my Ohms.. Have you PM'ed for an answer?
Forgive me btw still mindful of IDGG Google searchers to HEAD-FI getting advice and views. I told a few lads at work to have a look..

Regards
Dave 8^)

Nov 23, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #186 of 1,652

Glad to be home in the warm after cold Devon...

Bottom line is , can they sort out this imedance? It won't affect me because I have a Mojo I shall be using. But it'll affect lots of other people. If they can fix it it'll make a great product even better.
The AK100 was a pain in it's Mark I stage. My Westone 4Rs had no bass weight to them , they just weren't being pushed by the Dap. My Klipsch X11i and IE800 Iems sounded great through the Astell & Kern because they had higher impedance.

Cold Devon? I think you're right on that at the moment. I live down here and in Cornwall too. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #191 of 1,652
The 150$ price point is only going to be available for the almost late birds.  The retail price for the seiun pro x is going to be 2400$.  So I jumped on and gave a backing as this product will be perfect for me. 

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #192 of 1,652
Here is a rendering of the PHA they just emailed to the backers!
https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_620/v1448331342/icpzavycd5ndbtyoycew.jpg

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #193 of 1,652
Just got a reply of the main comments section. 5 megapixel camera on the pro's. Nothing fixed in stone though..
Anyone get a reply on the Ohm concerns?

CD says they are still looking at HO impedance and will let us know if it changes from the 4.7 ohms.  The reply is in the comments section on the Indiegogo page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back