Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true?
Nov 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #137 of 1,652
The knob in your pocket..Could be locked pushed down. Pull up to engage volume.. Do you know any stacks that can fit in jeans pockets?

iPhone 6 and FiiO E18, done.

With the PHA, I'm inclined to say that the Seiun Pro and Pro X should be able to sit on top of it flush. I wouldn't feel safe with my DAP hanging off the end waiting for somebody to bust it up with a poorly placed elbow rest. I'd personally like to see them lock to one another. I'm thinking a magnetic connection would be the coolest, but some physical latches could work too.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #138 of 1,652
iPhone 6 and FiiO E18, done.

With the PHA, I'm inclined to say that the Seiun Pro and Pro X should be able to sit on top of it flush. I wouldn't feel safe with my DAP hanging off the end waiting for somebody to bust it up with a poorly placed elbow rest. I'd personally like to see them lock to one another. I'm thinking a magnetic connection would be the coolest, but some physical latches could work too.

I find the magnet idea attractive. ..
Just not sure how much scope we have for changes to designs, wish they came here first...

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #141 of 1,652
I find the magnet idea attractive. ..
Just not sure how much scope we have for changes to designs, wish they came here first...

Nice pun!

Making the cases stick together magnetically isn't that hard, it wouldn't even take much modification. Put the magnets in the PHA, and a little bit of magnetic material can be worked into the case of the Pros without making them any bigger. It does require not rounding off the top edges of the PHA, though, and making the volume knob not a massive obtrusive knurl of metal.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #143 of 1,652
Once AMD CPUs can also use a third of the power and perform on par with Intel, then I will mention AMD. Right now, processing power per watt, AMD is the CPU equivalent of a Hummer with the CPU strength of a family sedan. Said differently, Intel Atom chips sipping 4.5 watts are almost in line with the performance of AMD chips guzzling 15 watts. And Core M at 4.5 watts operates faster than AMD chips using 19 watts. It makes me wonder how AMD is still in business with all the near-zero margin sales they do to keep competitive.

Granted, the AMD Radeon iGPU powering their APUs packs a powerful punch compared to last year's iGPUs in Intel CPUs. But the new Skylake graphics found in the Core i3 and up far and away outperforms all but the top, pricey desktop APUs. And even then, they are either neck-and-neck by a couple frames or Intel still comes out on top by a huge lead. And Intel Iris just makes AMD look like it is finally on its death bed.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-9.html

Wait, so you want AMD to be 3 TIMES MORE EFFICIENT than Intel chips to even consider them?  >.<
I'm not even going to comment on that.
Anyways, the Atom line is for the super low power consumption models/phone chips Intel makes.  You're comparing tablet/phone power consumption with laptop consumption.  When you actually compare AMD's ultra mobile chips like its Mullins lineup, you can see that their lowest power chip is 3.9 watts.
Also, the AMD's fastest Mullins chip, the Micro-6700T, outperforms Intel's highest performance Atom, the x7-Z8700.  Take a look:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A10-Micro-6700T-SoC.115409.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Atom-x7-Z8700-Benchmarks.140906.0.html

While the comparison between the graphics performance of AMD vs Intel chips you included is accurate, you're comparing the 7850K (not even the lastest AMD APU) to counterparts that are are literally 3 TIMES ITS PRICE.  Of course it's going to be outperformed.  Also, when you say top, pricey AMD CPUs, you do realize that the 7850K IS THE EXACT SAME PRICE AS THE i3 6100.
And before you start accusing me of being an AMD fanboy, keep in mind I'm running a 4770K in my system right now.

Nov 21, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #144 of 1,652
  Wait, so you want AMD to be 3 TIMES MORE EFFICIENT than Intel chips to even consider them?  >.<
I'm not even going to comment on that.
Anyways, the Atom line is for the super low power consumption models/phone chips Intel makes.  You're comparing tablet/phone power consumption with laptop consumption.  When you actually compare AMD's ultra mobile chips like its Mullins lineup, you can see that their lowest power chip is 3.9 watts.
Also, the AMD's fastest Mullins chip, the Micro-6700T, outperforms Intel's highest performance Atom, the x7-Z8700.  Take a look:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A10-Micro-6700T-SoC.115409.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Atom-x7-Z8700-Benchmarks.140906.0.html

While the comparison between the graphics performance of AMD vs Intel chips you included is accurate, you're comparing the 7850K (not even the lastest AMD APU) to counterparts that are are literally 3 TIMES ITS PRICE.  Of course it's going to be outperformed.  Also, when you say top, pricey AMD CPUs, you do realize that the 7850K IS THE EXACT SAME PRICE AS THE i3 6100.
And before you start accusing me of being an AMD fanboy, keep in mind I'm running a 4770K in my system right now.

That is all on point, and I agree, and hearing about Mullins makes me happy! :) And no worries: I don't play the loyalties game. And I'm not the one to judge someone about the brands they like. Sometimes, we buy what we like, not just for the numbers, but for the feelings. I bought AMD in the past and I was very proud of my system. It was an Athlon 64 X2 with a Radeon X1950 video card. Man, does that bring back sweet memories. I also hope that AMD will make a comeback someday. It is something real special when the underdog comes out on top. It is hard to believe that AMD used to rule over 50% of desktop CPU sales. We can all thank Intel for their unethical "bribery" with CPU manufacturers for that changing. Maybe AMD will make their return to their glory days with Zen? I hope so because Intel has no competition in desktops and the prices are just so high compared to what trends say they should be. But I must point out, the same HD 530 graphics are also in the 6th gen Core i3 CPU's. Those go for only 130 bucks and give AMD a run for their money.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-6100-Processor-FC-LGA14C-BX80662I36100/dp/B015VPX2EO

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #146 of 1,652
From the AMA, apparently:

"current output impedance for the proX is 4.7 ohm, but they will look into this."

If this is true, it is a serious problem. The player only has enough power for IEMs, but won't play well with any with high sensitivity or IEMs with resistance under about 20ohm.

Nov 21, 2015 at 8:11 AM Post #147 of 1,652
Apologies if this is an obvious question, but what would you expect to be hearing from sensitive IEMs? I'm guessing the relatively high output impedance and low amp power will protecting lead to audible hiss on sensitive in ears? Would external amping alleviate that?

I'm currently using a pair of Flare R2As and waiting on delivery of some Trinity Audio Atlas - I have to amp the R2s with my Sony NWZ-A15 or LG I order to get them to "full potential" (which is pretty impressive with the A15). I have added the PHA to my order for at home/sit down listening, but just wondering if something like a Fiio E6 for "on the move" playback would help?

Apologies for the newbie question - I'm a long time music and technology geek, but only a recent convert to Head-fi and the wonderful audiophile toys we all like to play with here so still building up my gear and understanding!

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #148 of 1,652
Im pretty sure Seiyun is probably a licensed rip of a Huawei or another Chinese brand phone, and had the phone functions ripped out and replaced with audio focused components. Companies like Huawei, Xiaomi and others have been churning out models at this price range which have similar spec and capabilities. Im probably going to judge it against the Oppo HA2 in terms of sound. The audio differences between components $100-200 apart are minor in most cases so if it matches then Seiyun can call it a win.

Funny, this was exactly what I had thought.

The photos from their facebook group look almost too similar to a Xiaomi Mi4i. I have this exact phone model, and I can assure you that they look exactly the same.

Photo from the Cyberdrive Facebook (Gallery)

Photo from Android Authority (Gallery)

While they have updated their renders (Gallery), the fact that the initial photos of the Pro and the Pro X are this similar to an existing product is quite unsettling.

I want to believe that this is a feasible project, but I just can't at this moment.

Edit: Included gallery links

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #149 of 1,652

The photos from their facebook group look almost too similar to a Xiaomi Mi4i. I have this exact phone model, and I can assure you that they look exactly the same.

While they have updated their renders (Gallery), the fact that the initial photos of the Pro and the Pro X are this similar to an existing product is quite unsettling.

I want to believe that this is a feasible project, but I just can't at this moment.

There are a lot of rockchip cell phone solutions. The Seiun players are those cell phones minus telephone capability + ESS DAC.

That is one reason, I trust this whole thing. It is not unrealistic to accomplish such an player. I do not care if it looks like another cell phone. There is not much distinction between most cell phones anyway.

Nov 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #150 of 1,652

Using pre- designed and built tooling is fairly common amoung CCTV camera manufacturers. I know this is a different industry but the concept is the same. If manufacturer A is willing to let you use their machinery a bulk of the cost lessens and manufacturer B designs the circuitry to fit the housing but it's still a unique product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back