Seen vs. unseen
Dec 1, 2005 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AlanY

1000+ Head-Fier
I was thinking about this the other day. People say that ferrites on power cords need to be removed because they constrict the sound and degrade sound quality. Yet, many of those same people are strong advocates of power conditioning, and almost all power conditioners contain chokes and ferrites. What's up with that?

Dec 1, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 20
When did power conditioners stop choking power
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Yet, many of those same people are strong advocates of power conditioning, and almost all power conditioners contain chokes and ferrites. What's up with that?

Your darn tootin they do.. That's why I won't use some of them in my system. They roll off the highs. Now with the case of the PS Audio, I unscrewed the top, took my trusty scredriver and removed them nast ferrite rings.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 20
Yes, conditioners work by *subtraction*. Is it possible/likely that conditioning could have a negative impact (depending on implementation)? Yup.

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
They roll off the highs.

As I see it, that's exactly what power conditioners are supposed to do, or am I wrong? Everything else than the pure original signal (a sine wave) is considered a pollution which can potentially do harm to your audio electronics. That said, from what's been reported it's absolutely possible that they (ferrit rings and chokes) may have an adverse effect as well -- I was just amused by your «rolled-off highs». You wouldn't want artificial highs added by your power line, would you?
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelhwolff
Your darn tootin they do.. That's why I won't use some of them in my system. They roll off the highs. Now with the case of the PS Audio, I unscrewed the top, took my trusty scredriver and removed them nast ferrite rings.

Did you remove the iron-core inductors too? It would seem to me that the inductors would have even more impact on the sound than the ferrites, since the power has to pass right through the inductors (they're directly in the "signal" path, whereas the ferrites are not).

The other thing that comes to mind is: why did PS Audio put the ferrites in there if they hurt the sound quality? It's not as if PS Audio is a mass-market vendor; they're an audiophile brand, and these are audiophile power conditioners.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 20
Nope did not remove the inductors. Does the PS Audio 500 and 600 have inductors. Hey, it's just what I did and I like the performance better. I have auditioned such as the BPT which is also "Audiophile". Didn't like them. highs were rolled off.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

why did PS Audio put the ferrites in there if they hurt the sound quality? It's not as if PS Audio is a mass-market vendor; they're an audiophile brand, and these are audiophile power conditioners.

Gosh well I never thought about that. Maybe I should not have modified it.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #9 of 20
My old amp sounded better going right into the wall instead of through any power conditioning. But my Melos seems to sound fine either way so i keep it under conditioning.

Dec 14, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
[size=large]DEATH TO ALL FERRITES!!![/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's reprehensible that a friggin' hamster-lover finds it necessary to spew such venom about another creature that many of us find charming and delightful. I've been raising ferrites for years and I'll take them over your smelly little rodents any day!
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 20
In my experience I have noted that ferrites can actually help lower the noise floor. But they can also reduce the treble energy. I prefer using the smallest ferrites possible and then using multiples, putting them on and taking them off. I rarely use them with my PS Audio 500. My Stealth seems to have extended highs when plugged into the PS 500 rather than the wall due to the lowered noise floor. MY MF A3cr is plugged into the UO of the PS 500 and I notice no diminishment in treble clarity or extension compared to plugging it straight into the wall.

It is a thin line and you need to decide for yourself what is your preference and what is closer to the actual music. Are you rolling off recorded treble or are you rolling off audible hash from rf or emi? Just an alternate opinion.

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
Are you rolling off recorded treble or are you rolling off audible hash from rf or emi? Just an alternate opinion.

That was my guess too (some people like the extra "detail" that comes from RF/EMI-induced hash), but I didn't want to say anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back