Seeking beta testers for the Aiwa Arc-1 Bluetooth Headphones
Jun 17, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #31 of 117
I just applied!

Definitely interested in hearing the headphones. I also have a MiniDSP EARS measuring system, so I'm curious to see the frequency response in the different modes.

I currently have the good ol' Aiwa HP-500 orthodynamic/planar magnetic headphones :D Well unfortunately I'm selling them due to some things coming up, but they are some darn good sounding headphones.

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #32 of 117
I have submitted my request to Beta Test these beauties. I have owned many a Aiwa products over my life time. I grew up with an Aiwa bedroom stereo and a portable stereo with detachable speakers. I used that carry around one everywhere until it died about 6 years later.

Jun 17, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #33 of 117
Love biocellulose drivers and am always interested in latest BT options so have applied.

I am in Canada so hopefully close to the States to count :). I own AKG K545, Sony Z7, Sennheiser HP4.50 BTNC, Sony MDR100ABN, Sony WI1000X (top of the line in ear BT notice cancelling model). Plus multiple previous experience with other models from B&O, Monster, and other brands with many of them being BT models. I can definitely help in regards to BT related stuff as I have ran the gamut of BT issues over the past couple of years and no the difference between BT issues versus other electro magnetic interference.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #34 of 117
Just applied. Thank you and nice to see Aiwa back in the game!

Jun 18, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #35 of 117
Great to see the bt-headphone category widen up. I`m intrigued :)

Thanks! It's a busy segment to be sure, but we think as long as the quality is there, the presence of another headphone in the category is justified.

Even though I'm not versed as much in audio as other Head-fiers, I'd love to try out plenty of headphones. I have some personal experience with audio equipment outside of headphones but not as much when dealing with headphones. I've submitted my form and hope to be a selected tester.

Thanks for applying!

The biggest problem with bluetooth wireless (especially when they are NC, though these are not) is variance between modes. Being able to get the same sound in every use is a distant target.

Definitely a tough problem to be sure. We prioritized the wireless experience over the wired, but we do recognize it's a trade-off. But, at least in wireless mode you don't need to worry about an impedance-matched source! :)

Would also love to test these. My first ever walkman was an Aiwa and the brand basically introduced me to personal audio when I was a teenager!

Awesome! Thanks for applying.

I'm glad Aiwa is back into the audio market, I've been using Aiwa since the days of the personal tape player, personal CD player along with those IEM, hopefully you can come back with those previous glory back in the old days, will you also be releasing Audio players and other new products.
I would also love to test out these new BT headphones.

We do have a set of mid-range (depending on your opinion of mid-range... they are $49) IEMs out already, we will probably send out some review units once we are able to do the next revision of the product, e.g. adding foam tips, some tweaks to the cable, etc. Thanks for applying!

Would like to have a try and recommend this to the community in the coming days. Bring AIWA back to Singapore! :)

Thanks! Unfortunately we do not have the right to sell using the Aiwa trademark in every country around the world - it's a bit of a long story, there is a blog post on our site if you're interested in learning more. We hope to sell our products everywhere in the near future, but right now availability is limited.

I applied via the link!

I've been apart of a few company sponsored review panels on this site!

I'm very technical and test out products thoroughly as you can see in my reviews.

Really hoping AIWA is open to Canadian testers as I am extremely interested in testing out your new Bluetooth headphones and providing detailed feedback on operation!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mixcder-hd601.22547/reviews?page=2#reviews

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ov...ts-exercise-travel.21909/reviews#review-17198

Thanks, I'll check it out!

I just applied!

Definitely interested in hearing the headphones. I also have a MiniDSP EARS measuring system, so I'm curious to see the frequency response in the different modes.

I currently have the good ol' Aiwa HP-500 orthodynamic/planar magnetic headphones :D Well unfortunately I'm selling them due to some things coming up, but they are some darn good sounding headphones.

Cool, thanks for applying! Also, how would you describe the HP-500 sound? Just curious. :)

I have submitted my request to Beta Test these beauties. I have owned many a Aiwa products over my life time. I grew up with an Aiwa bedroom stereo and a portable stereo with detachable speakers. I used that carry around one everywhere until it died about 6 years later.

Awesome, thanks for applying!

Love biocellulose drivers and am always interested in latest BT options so have applied.

I am in Canada so hopefully close to the States to count :). I own AKG K545, Sony Z7, Sennheiser HP4.50 BTNC, Sony MDR100ABN, Sony WI1000X (top of the line in ear BT notice cancelling model). Plus multiple previous experience with other models from B&O, Monster, and other brands with many of them being BT models. I can definitely help in regards to BT related stuff as I have ran the gamut of BT issues over the past couple of years and no the difference between BT issues versus other electro magnetic interference.

Unfortunately we are actually restricted from selling in Canada at the moment... it's a bit of a long story and there is a blog post on our site that explains the situation. Basically after Sony shut down Aiwa in 2008, the trademark rights did not all end up at one company. Despite our best efforts we weren't able to secure the legal right to sell Aiwa products in Canada. It's very ironic because we're based in the US, you'd think we could sell to our closest neighbor, but trademarks don't always work out the way you expect. We're still working on a plan that allows us to ship our products to Canada and some other countries as well.

Just applied. Thank you and nice to see Aiwa back in the game!

Thanks, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #36 of 117
Cool, thanks for applying! Also, how would you describe the HP-500 sound? Just curious. :)

They're very nice and fairly linear. Very good bass extension with some heft in the mid-bass for some "thump". Some rumbling is audible but not really felt. The midrange is just a bit forward but not enough to make vocals shouty - enough for instruments to have a "bite" to it. Songs with female vocalists sound really nice. A bit of treble sparkle for a bit of articulation - with the stock earpads, it's a fairly smooth response. It's great for slower and dynamic tracks, though for things like rock or electronic, it gets quite a bit jumbled and congested. Overall it's a nice, intimate, and "euphoric" sounding headphone.

Below is without modifications and pushing the earcups against the silicone ears on the MiniDSP EARS measuring system. It's essentially an on-ear headphone so without pushing the earcups onto the silicone ears, it won't seal and the bass won't look "right".

HP-500.png

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #37 of 117
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #39 of 117
Request submitted. Lots of experience and desire to use Bluetooth. have had quite a few Aiwa components over the years and loved every one of them. Still use an old "boombox" from like 15 years ago. Excited to be considered, hope that I get a chance to be part of the beta testing.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #40 of 117
Definitely interested in these. Bluetooth is a staple for me on portable usage. I have an M&O Beryllium Acoustic I use on the go but looking to upgrade and get something better built. Very curious about this offering as I am looking for a new Bluetooth headphone. Once you go wireless for portable usage you can’t go back. Put in my application.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #41 of 117
If your adding the UK to the test, please consider me as well. Sent in Application.

Never been on a beta test before, but have a reasonably large BT range across most budgets, so hopefully can be objective and unbiased.

One test I would really like to cover is comfort. I really struggle with headphones that press against or are touching the ears. It's a big reason I opted for the Bose QC35 II's. Be nice to discover a decent alternative.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #42 of 117
Applied! I'm becoming far more open-minded to Bluetooth in terms of its benefits and increasing transparency. Keen to help contribute to the final product!

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #43 of 117
Hi,

i would love to test the headphones with my current daps. Especially with the Astell & Kern 70 MK II.
What i see so far is looking promising. The headband seems sturdy and simple. Most headphones nowadays are looking to complex in their construction. I also like nice red color touch and the L & R labeling.

Like many other portable music and headphone enthusiasts i owned aiwa products in my younger years. Me and my friends enjoyed what we got from your brand. Welcome back!
Sadly im living in Germany. If you consider to include the EU audioholics into the testing i will be happy to do a review.

With best regards
Phony

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #44 of 117
They're very nice and fairly linear. Very good bass extension with some heft in the mid-bass for some "thump". Some rumbling is audible but not really felt. The midrange is just a bit forward but not enough to make vocals shouty - enough for instruments to have a "bite" to it. Songs with female vocalists sound really nice. A bit of treble sparkle for a bit of articulation - with the stock earpads, it's a fairly smooth response. It's great for slower and dynamic tracks, though for things like rock or electronic, it gets quite a bit jumbled and congested. Overall it's a nice, intimate, and "euphoric" sounding headphone.

Below is without modifications and pushing the earcups against the silicone ears on the MiniDSP EARS measuring system. It's essentially an on-ear headphone so without pushing the earcups onto the silicone ears, it won't seal and the bass won't look "right".

Looks like a very good response, although I would agree the bass / sub bass might be expected to be a little thin.

i am interested i will fill the application form

Thanks!

Those could potentially sound decent, lacking sub bass, which in closed headphones should follow the Harman Curve ideally and be at least a few db higher than mid bass.

Agreed.

Request submitted. Lots of experience and desire to use Bluetooth. have had quite a few Aiwa components over the years and loved every one of them. Still use an old "boombox" from like 15 years ago. Excited to be considered, hope that I get a chance to be part of the beta testing.

Thanks for the kind words!

Definitely interested in these. Bluetooth is a staple for me on portable usage. I have an M&O Beryllium Acoustic I use on the go but looking to upgrade and get something better built. Very curious about this offering as I am looking for a new Bluetooth headphone. Once you go wireless for portable usage you can’t go back. Put in my application.

Hmm, those look pretty interesting. If it's an actual solid piece of beryllium it's a very impressive value for $129, I would imagine they're beryllium composites or possibly coated mylar or something? Pure beryllium is probably considered a fancier material than biocellulose. Totally agree about wireless though, and especially when I'm out and about (with more noise around) the small loss in fidelity always seems worth it to me.

If your adding the UK to the test, please consider me as well. Sent in Application.

Never been on a beta test before, but have a reasonably large BT range across most budgets, so hopefully can be objective and unbiased.

One test I would really like to cover is comfort. I really struggle with headphones that press against or are touching the ears. It's a big reason I opted for the Bose QC35 II's. Be nice to discover a decent alternative.

I have nothing bad to say about the comfort level of Bose headphones! Ours don't fit exactly the same way but so far most people find them pretty comfortable. However, it's a rare headphone that feel perfect on every head.

Applied! I'm becoming far more open-minded to Bluetooth in terms of its benefits and increasing transparency. Keen to help contribute to the final product!

Thanks! aptX and better chips are lowering the disparity between wired and BT. Lossy / lower-bitrate codecs will always put a ceiling on the absolute maximum quality, but we do feel that putting some decent transducers in a BT set still delivers big benefits, lossy codec or not. I mean, unless you're listening to 96k MP3s, better gear is going to sound better. :)

Hi,

i would love to test the headphones with my current daps. Especially with the Astell & Kern 70 MK II.
What i see so far is looking promising. The headband seems sturdy and simple. Most headphones nowadays are looking to complex in their construction. I also like nice red color touch and the L & R labeling.

Like many other portable music and headphone enthusiasts i owned aiwa products in my younger years. Me and my friends enjoyed what we got from your brand. Welcome back!
Sadly im living in Germany. If you consider to include the EU audioholics into the testing i will be happy to do a review.

With best regards
Phony

Much appreciated! We are still working on our distribution rights in Europe, and it is country-by-country. If we don't do any beta units in Europe this time, we will try to make up for it on the next product, though!

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #45 of 117
Hmm, those look pretty interesting. If it's an actual solid piece of beryllium it's a very impressive value for $129, I would imagine they're beryllium composites or possibly coated mylar or something? Pure beryllium is probably considered a fancier material than biocellulose. Totally agree about wireless though, and especially when I'm out and about (with more noise around) the small loss in fidelity always seems worth it to me.

It's something akin to coated mylar, it's not pure beryllium, it does have quite a strong magnet The headphone does sound quite nice, on the bass heavy side. I have been having some build quality concerns about them lately though which is why I'm looking for something else and the Bluetooth range could be better. I agree, convenience is king with portable headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back