See MOONDROP planar PARA, CD player, and 2DD+8BA flagship IEM!
Nov 11, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #62 of 71
I’ve heard their other DSP DACS have issues, and the one I do own (Quarks DSP) has a quite noticeable noise floor as well as phase issues which makes it a no-go. If this one has none of that then it is pretty much perfect for my needs.
The FreeDSP is absolutely transparent, it's a good DAC. Up to 384/32, while the Quarks DSP only does 48/16. Not that that matters in and of itself but it's an indication it's a different DAC. Quarks DSP has a noise floor, this has none that I can hear. Moondrop posted AP measurements which were very decent. It also has decent power, can run easier to drive over-ears with it, I have tried it with the Hifiman Sundara Closed with 2 pin to 3.5mm adapters (which needs EQ, and this cable does it well).

1699697257515.png

Nov 11, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #63 of 71
The FreeDSP is absolutely transparent, it's a good DAC. Up to 384/32, while the Quarks DSP only does 48/16. Not that that matters in and of itself but it's an indication it's a different DAC. Quarks DSP has a noise floor, this has none that I can hear. Moondrop posted AP measurements which were very decent. It also has decent power, can run easier to drive over-ears with it, I have tried it with the Hifiman Sundara Closed with 2 pin to 3.5mm adapters (which needs EQ, and this cable does it well).

1699697257515.png
Would phase issues show on the measurements they provided?

Nov 11, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #64 of 71
I’ve heard their other DSP DACS have issues, and the one I do own (Quarks DSP) has a quite noticeable noise floor as well as phase issues which makes it a no-go. If this one has none of that then it is pretty much perfect for my needs.
What type of issues? SQ or functionalities? For example, the FreeDSP / Link-II app is quite finicky, often resulting in “no device detected” message, but after loading the EQ, the FreeDSP works very reliably with pretty much anything I connect it to…

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #65 of 71
Would phase issues show on the measurements they provided?
I don't think it does, on a specific IEM (the XSL X-One) it has the same impulse response and phase behaviour as that IEM does with a regular analog 2 pin cable.

The Quarks DSP does look a bit weird:
1699776571033.png
1699776603580.png

XSL X-One analog cable:
1699776677658.png
1699776692930.png

XSL X-One Free DSP:
1699776741985.png
1699776762469.png

This is the change I'm making with the FreeDSP on the XSL X-One, includentally, not huge but makes a world of difference. I do notice there is a certain amount of fuzz in the high frequencies, I wonder if this might be sample rate related. I don't find it audible. I'm not sure if this is an actual issue or more related to my measurements.
1699777078547.png
1699777213993.png

Nov 24, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #67 of 71
Did an initial impression of the moondrop para. A full review maybe in a month time. Really like it.

Feb 2, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #68 of 71
Hi all, I'd like to share some info I received from HifiGo.com, where I have ordered a Moondrop DiscDream. After more than 3 months, the order has not been fulfilled yet. This is the statement I got:

"After research, our company found that we can better optimize the Discdream in some aspects and give customers a better experience. Therefore, brands are currently more strictly controlling and optimizing some product performance. This may take some time. May not be shipped until after Chinese New Year. (May after 17th February, the detail shipping time is still under confirmation). We really appreciate your high support on the brand and HiFiGo, is it ok for you to wait for more days?"

It's still unclear it's bad QA, low supply-high demand, slow/difficult manufacturing,..? Perhaps Moondrop itself can comment?

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #69 of 71
Same here: I placed an order in Oct through ShenzenAudio. Here is the response I received at the end of November:
The following is the notification from manufacturer MOONDROP:
Due to the complexity of the production process and the demand exceeding supply, it does require a longer shipping time.

The product will gradually be supplied, but it may require more waiting time. Please understand, thank you!
…and 2weeks ago:
Sorry the shipping time is still uncertain.
Not blaming the distributor.
Since nobody has reported an issue with the Discdream, I suspect it is manufacturing / supply related (a specific component no longer available?).
Or Moondrop decided to drop the “Disc” part and we’ll be left with “Dream”…

Feb 2, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #70 of 71
Same here: I placed an order in Oct through ShenzenAudio. Here is the response I received at the end of November:

…and 2weeks ago:

Since nobody has reported an issue with the Discdream, I suspect it is manufacturing / supply related (a specific component no longer available?).
Thanks for confirming, I guess we will all continue dreaming for now haha

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #71 of 71

…and 2weeks ago:

Hope they add digital output, and playing from microsd card( something like the hibylink) feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back