Second set of high end headphones - advice needed (~$250)
Mar 24, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 27
Yeah I have an iPod Classic running through LOD into the FiiO E7 into my Ad900 and also into the 225i. All of my music quality is quality encoded mp3 at the highest VBR quality, essentially a space saving version of 320. I was very excited to buy the 225i since I missed my Sr80i, but when I listened I was completely unhappy. I gave them some time and still found them to be flat. I think part of the problem is the pads they come with. The Sr80i comes with different pads which has your ears closer to the driver and I'm assuming that's what gave them the aggressive sound I loved. I don't have the money to try new pads so the 225i were shipped away.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 27
Nice, it seems like you love the AD900's sound signature. In my case, i liked more the grados (with rock). lol  
biggrin.gif

You need to try a pair of modded grados with different earpads. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #18 of 27

Quote:
Nice, it seems like you love the AD900's sound signature. In my case, i liked more the grados (with rock). lol  
biggrin.gif

You need to try a pair of modded grados with different earpads. 

I loved the Sr80i as well, though they were fatiguing to a degree I didn't want to put up with for a main headphone. I think it may have been the difference in pads that caused such a disparity in sound, because the Sr80i seems alive with the S-cush pads and the Sr225i sounded flat and dull with the L-cush pads.

S-cush:

L-cush:

I'd like to try some higher end Grado's one day, perhaps the RS1 with the flats.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #19 of 27

Quote:
Jesus christ
Price comparison for the SR225i
Amazon US $189
Amazon UK £220

Yes the currency symbols are the right way round, that is truly an insane mark up. Going to have them shipped to a friend in the US and then back on to me

Sorry, didn't realize you are in the UK.  Not being in the US definitely changes the value equation for Grados.  Good thing you have a friend in the US.

Mar 28, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #21 of 27
Tell me about it. I found a 3 year old pair of skullcandy headphones earlier (dont judge me, I was naive and they were shiny), flogged them on eBay for £40 and picked up a pair of 598s as well as the sr225i's. I'll give a little review when both of them get here I guess

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 27
Keep in mind that the E7 won't have the EQ options when docked to the E9. You'd have to run it through the line in of the E9, essentially double amping just to keep your EQ. Its not ideal, but not the worst way to use headphones.

My recommendations are to look into the D2000, DT990, and perhaps the Fischer Audio FA-011 which seems to be getting a lot of attention of late for the $120 or less tag. The DT770 Pro has some pretty severe mid recession and isn't much cheaper than those alternatives.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
Keep in mind that the E7 won't have the EQ options when docked to the E9. You'd have to run it through the line in of the E9, essentially double amping just to keep your EQ. Its not ideal, but not the worst way to use headphones.

My recommendations are to look into the D2000, DT990, and perhaps the Fischer Audio FA-011 which seems to be getting a lot of attention of late for the $120 or less tag. The DT770 Pro has some pretty severe mid recession and isn't much cheaper than those alternatives.

This post greatly confuses me. Why would you use a bass boost function on a DAC/Amp when you can do the exact same from your computer in your media player?

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #26 of 27
 I wouldn't really recommend the D2000 for rock, the mids are recessed and it's a bit relaxed sounding for rock. And from what I read and when I tried the DT770 Pro, the same recessed mids goes for the beyers.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
 I wouldn't really recommend the D2000 for rock, the mids are recessed and it's a bit relaxed sounding for rock. And from what I read and when I tried the DT770 Pro, the same recessed mids goes for the beyers.

Funny you should mention the DT770/80s, I'm listening to them right now and despite the mids, despite the booming bass, despite the borderline-harsh highs, I really like them. In fact, I like them more than the M50s. I WOULD like the Shure SRH750DJ over both sets, but they're so fiendishly uncomfortable that I can't afford to wear them for more than ten minutes at a time (Shure, why'd you have to go design a pair of DJ semi-portable headphones that has a PLASTIC headband???). I opened up the DT770s and added some blue-tack and open-cell foam, which fixed the bass boom and brought up the mids and treble a little bit (although the mids are still kind of recessed). Fact is, they're so much FUN that I can't stop listening to them, even though I have RS2s, even though I have the M50s and SRH750DJs, even though I have K501s and HD25s... I just like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back