Second set of high end headphones - advice needed (~$250)
Mar 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

cobley

New Head-Fier
So I've had my 595s for about 18 months now, my first set of high end headphones.
About a month ago I went out and picked up the FiiO E7 & E9. I was caught between spending my cash on either a reasonable desktop amp or a great portable one, and I figured I listen to my music mostly when away from the computer, so I went with the combo option, and its been great.

However I'm starting to think about picking up a better/different pair of headphones than the 595s. Price limit is a maximum of $250, but if the quality jump is big enough I could push to $300
I listen to rock music mostly, and I guess I'd appreciate a pair of headphones that really brought out the sound of acoustic guitars. I also listen to a little trip-hop, so I could take a drop in certain areas for a better all-round set of cans.
I'll be using the E7/E9 as an amp

Any ideas?

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 27
Actually I forgot to add:

I watch a LOT of films with my headphones on. If theres a set that are particularly good for watching movies/television, then I'd definitely have to take them into consideration

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 27
I'll be first to chime in with the automatic suggestion of "Grado" for rock.  Also a Grado 'phone would be very different from your Sennheiser and provide a good contrast in signature.  New, the SR225i would fall in your budget, or I would watch the classifieds for a good deal to pop up.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 27
Thanks, I guess thats what I'm looking for really. I honestly wouldnt mind spending the same amount of money as I did for the 595s but on something that sounded completely different.

Ive asked on another forum, and been told that the Beyerdynamic 770/80's wouldnt be too bad for a change of sound, and well within my price range. But Ive seen that they come at 250 ohms aswell, is there a huge difference in quality, and would the E7/E9 be able to drive them properly?

Also Im worried that when people say the Grados are good for 'rock' it'll mean at the expense of any acoustic guitar, which is important.

Id say I listen to about
30% rock
30% 'acoustic rock'/folk
15% trip hop
15% electronic

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 27
Actually one of the Grado strengths is guitar, both electric and acoustic.  (My experience is based on the SR60, now long gone, and my current RS1.)  They have a very up-front, detailed sound where you can practically see the strings vibrating. In my opinion they also excel at vocals which they deliver with realism and great....um, palpability?  Downside is that on some material I've found them to be shouty or shrill (this is recording dependent).  Also they have very limited soundstage.

My suggestion is to buy used, or from somewhere with a good return policy so that if they don't suit you, you can sell/return them at minimal expense.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 27
HD650, Ultrasone HFI780, SR325i, DT990(250,600), D2000 and Fischer 02.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #8 of 27
Here are some additional suggestions for ya:

AKG K601, K702

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900, A900

Beyerdynamic DT880, DT 990

Ultrasone HFi-780, PRO 750

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 27
Ive spent the past few hours scouring the forums and though I know a little about each model, but then more keep popping up

I think my plan right now is to pick up the Grado sr225i, with the E7 I can use the bass boost if needed, or adjust the EQ when using the E7/E9 combo
I guess if I narrowed down my music to one particular sound, it would be Kasabian, with their whole rock+electronica thing, if that helps any

I also dont plan on moving up to the likes of the HD650 et al. right now. Im going to save that for later, try a few more headphones out around this price range over the next few months and figure out the sound i want before delving into the deep end

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 27
The AD900's have an amazing soundstage, but...they are not as good as the grado's for rock music. 

The 225i's bass improves with some eq tweaking. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 27
Jesus christ
Price comparison for the SR225i
Amazon US $189
Amazon UK £220

Yes the currency symbols are the right way round, that is truly an insane mark up. Going to have them shipped to a friend in the US and then back on to me

Thanks for the help everyone, I think that experiencing a much different sound is the way to go for my second set, but will keep this thread in mind when I feel the itch for more

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
The AD900's have an amazing soundstage, but...they are not as good as the grado's for rock music. 

The 225i's bass improves with some eq tweaking. 

Subjective, but I preferred my Ad900 over the Sr225i for everything, including rock. I tried three Led Zeppelin albums, Abbey Road, Ziggy Stardust, and a few more current rock albums and found the Sr225i to be completely unsatisfying. I tried some other music on the Sr225i from post-rock to dubstep and promptly put them back up for sale here.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:

Subjective, but I preferred my Ad900 over the Sr225i for everything, including rock. I tried three Led Zeppelin albums, Abbey Road, Ziggy Stardust, and a few more current rock albums and found the Sr225i to be completely unsatisfying. I tried some other music on the Sr225i from post-rock to dubstep and promptly put them back up for sale here.

Nice to know!! Which source you have? (fiio e7)?
I guess the source thing it also depends...on how they sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back