SEATTLE MEET @ FRONT PANEL EXPRESS 1/21/2012
Jan 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #526 of 569
What are road conditions like in the south sound

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #527 of 569
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #528 of 569

Quote:
Anyone bringing the HD800? I'm looking to get a pair soon, and would love to hear them.

Yes, I will have some there. Woke up to temps above 32. Snow has been turning to slush here. Keep your fingers crossed...

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #529 of 569

Quote:
...  I know I still owe you a tall frosty one, Ethan!

Good memory you have there, Marco!  >I< hadn't even remembered that, and it's rare I forget something having to do with drinks!

Roads are better, but my condo parking lot is still a winter wonderland.  Gil - I'll be playing it by ear and give you a call later whether or not I'll be heading out to help unload and to set up my stuff tonight.  I took my system down last night, but there's still about 3-4 inches of snow, slush, and ice leading up to my car.  :p

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #530 of 569
Ethan it is all good. I have a snow shovel in back of the pick up in case I need to dig you out
biggrin.gif
or can pick you up? Been all around town the last couple days.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #531 of 569
[size=medium]Test recordings:[/size]
[size=medium]Sera Una Noche, La Segunda 24/176
Herbie Hancock, River
Fred Hirsch, Personal Favorites 24/96
Cassandra Wilson, Glamoured
Monterey Quartet, Live at the 2007 Monterey Jazz Festival
Otto Klemperer, Das Lied von der Erde on EMI
Melody Gardot, My One and Only Thrill
Natalie Merchant, Tigerlily MFSL
William Christie, Hippolyte et Aricie by Rameau on Erato
Leonard Cohen, Ten New Songs
Jane Monheit, Home
[/size]
[size=medium]Among others[/size]

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #533 of 569
We had another inch of snow overnight and the temp is still below freezing so it's not looking good for me to make it to the Seattle meet unless we get warmer temperatures pronto to get rid of the ice and snow.

Will play it by the ear and decide on Sat morning whether to make the trip or not.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #534 of 569
Guys road conditions are improving, albeit it is messy out there, so please be careful.

For those of you coming by to set-up today. Gil and I are going to be down there a couple hours ahead of time. I'm leaving soon to go pick up extra tables and chairs. We are planning on meeting up at Smarty Pants before 5, so please call us or just meet us there if you are going to be showing up early. Look forward to meeting everyone!

beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #535 of 569

Quote:

My daughter Kate and her dog Daisy on a morning walk in the woods. Hiking in the snowy woods and shooting pix is a lot more fun than driving on ice...

Beautiful shot, Doc.  My gosh.  What gear were you using? 

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #536 of 569
need more input from folks between longiew and tacoma on road conditions.

Apparently this is the worst affected area.

Cameras show that it is getting better..albeit slowly.

Still need to go home and pack and make playlists for you peep.s

If the onitor and keyboard mouse plans fails to happen i can use my cellphone for controlling itunes.

Although this means we won't be able to listen to most of the reference recordings I have in ape and flac format.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #537 of 569
Thanks for the kind words.  That was taken with a D300 and my favorite Nikkor 35-70 1:2.8D. Tack sharp, good color, and in this shot I found that it seems to have pretty nice bokeh. The clouds and snow on the ground made for a really even lighting similar to a softbox setup.

Subject helps too. Kate graduated from modeling school a couple years ago and was just accepted to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising. So she understands makeup, color, posing, etc. Makes it much easier to get a good shot. Eileen and I were out bushwhacking, trying to get pix of bracket fungus with snowdrifts on them and such, and she just came walking down the road in this "I'm ready for my closeup" mood.

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #538 of 569
As Jax pointed out earlier, the route from Vashon is much less passable than a route from Bainbridge or elsewhere, primarily due to the steep winding roads that ascends from both of the island's two ferry terminals.  I live in a relatively less travelled road in the woods 500+ feet above sea level and the ice/snow level is a steady 8 or so inches.  My lawn is turning into a lake and the roads out of my area are pretty much all ice and slush.  I have a puny front-wheel drive Corolla-type car that will most certainly not make it to the main highway if the ice/snow does not get down to bare pavement with enough traction any time soon.

Alas, mates...I will make the call tomorrow morning as to whether I can get there safely or not.  I am majorly bummed and have not even packed.  I might leave the heavy Marantz 2275 behind and just bring the Cyber and HifiMan tube units....

I will post again tmw morning and give Gil a call as to my status....

Dang...foop!
confused_face.gif

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #540 of 569
I just cancelled my plans to drive up tonight from Salem tonight after talking with my brother who lives in Seattle, he didn't think it would be very safe given some flooding and ice.. I'll see what it's like tomorrow and hopefully still be able to make it.. I always like adventures so I might go and end up dying somewhere along the way. It's been a good life!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back