Seattle Meet at Bottlehead Headquarters 8/04/2012
Jun 15, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #31 of 188
Just cleared up a previous conflict and am happy to report that I'll definitely be at the meet. Probably won't have any gear, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.

As I intend on taking on the ferry to Bainbridge Island, is the distance between the ferry terminal and Bottlehead walk-able? If so, about how long would it take? Or if not, what are the public transportation options?

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #32 of 188
I'm usually very happy to pick someone up and drop them off, but unfortunately as the host I will be tied down. It's a little too far to walk, about 2.6 miles. There is a bus from the ferry terminal that makes a stop near our business park. I think the fare is about $2. But the ferries run about an hour apart so there are just a couple ferries scheduled around each end of the event that everyone catches. So far it has proven pretty easy to coordinate with someone who is taking a car on the boat to get a lift to and from our place. Quite a few attendees seem to have coordinated that kind of thing at past events. 

Of course with the new brewery next door the exit times may string out a bit. They were getting ready last night to wash the new kegs for the first batch, I think they called it an IPA with an attitude or something like that. I saw a nice big dose of Cascade hops going into the, uh, hop holder thing a ma jig (I don't think that's what it's really called).

If anyone can give brother Asr a lift, please shout out.

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #34 of 188
Quote:
Something that I don't think has been mentioned is our new neighbor (like ten steps away) microbrewery, Bainbridge Island Brewing, will be open for your quaffing pleasure. They have a first batch brewing this week. We keep going over there and asking "Yet?!"

Awesome!  Yay new neighbors with brewing thingamabobbers!

Quote:
Just cleared up a previous conflict and am happy to report that I'll definitely be at the meet. Probably won't have any gear, but I wouldn't rule it out yet.

As I intend on taking on the ferry to Bainbridge Island, is the distance between the ferry terminal and Bottlehead walk-able? If so, about how long would it take? Or if not, what are the public transportation options?

Will be good to have you up here again.  I'll probably be driving, so we could coordinate times and meet on the ferry or something.

Quote:
barring any unforeseen issues cropping up.. I will make the meet.

Will bring my stat rig.

Glad to hear bro.  Looking forward to more time with the LL.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #35 of 188
The guys just came by and said they needed one piece of wire to be able to finish wiring the machinery to start filling kegs today. I happily volunteered some of the best sounding brewery wire they will ever hear, and I am sitting attentively at my desk in anticipation of that first lovely swig...

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #36 of 188
Quote:
The guys just came by and said they needed one piece of wire to be able to finish wiring the machinery to start filling kegs today. I happily volunteered some of the best sounding brewery wire they will ever hear, and I am sitting attentively at my desk in anticipation of that first lovely swig...

Nice.  Too bad Gil wasn't around.  He could have espoused the advantages of silver wires for their brewing. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #37 of 188
yeah if it was only powered by tube gear......lol

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #38 of 188
Nice.  Too bad Gil wasn't around.  He could have espoused the advantages of silver wires for their brewing.  :evil:

I have experienced this first-hand! Silver wiring gives the beer a sweeter, crisper flavor. Copper wires give the beer a slightly smokey, oaken finish. Can't go wrong either way, but for summer brews, I personally think silver is the way to go. And don't forget power conditioning - it smoothes the fermentation process... :rolleyes:

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #39 of 188
Hi,

Anyone here in Seattle have either a headamp pico USB DAC/Amp or an RSA Predator?  I'd love the opportunity to demo one before I make a purchasing decision.

Thanks,

-Laurence

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #40 of 188
Brian we will have to test those theories out at the meet. Look forward to it since it looks like I work now 7days a week as a Chef. May have to break out the cigars.....

Jun 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #43 of 188
Thanks to lurking the head-fi forum for several years I managed to bulls eye my listening goals first go on each, with one tube and one solid state system which I enjoy greatly:

Source for both: Sonos -> Benchmark DAC1
Tube: WA3+  with Amperex 6922 and Tung Sol 5998 -> Sennheiser HD600
SS: Violectric V200 -> Hifiman HE-500

I may be adding a Violectric V800 for a source DAC in the future. To give a flavor for my personal preferences and bias, I listened to both the HD650 and HD600. I preferred the HD600. Then the HE-500 sounds to me like the HD600 with the high end above 1500Hz down 2 dB, but with lower overall residual distortion, though it should be noted that the HD600 already has very low distortion to begin with. I've had the tube system for over a year, the solid state is a more recent addition. Very happy with each for their respective capabilities.

I will be attending the meet and bring the SS system. The V200 has the internal USB option which I will run from a notebook source using WinAmp. Will have AIXCoustic Electri-Q EQ in WinAmp for folks to hear what happens adding a +2dB shelf EQ above 1500Hz on the HE-500 vs no EQ.

Looking forward to meeting everyone, thanks to all the forum contributors (esp SkyLab and Big Poppa) which helped steer my search.

Atomic Bob

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #44 of 188
WELCOME atomicbob, look forward to meeting you and auditioning you gear. Nice 1st post.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #45 of 188
Brian we will have to test those theories out at the meet. Look forward to it since it looks like I work now 7days a week as a Chef. May have to break out the cigars.....

It sounds like you have something cooking in the oven of a different sort.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back