Searching for Sweet and Warm IEM for 250$
Nov 16, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #31 of 87

Quote:
You'll need an amp for the RE262. But since the IEM is only 150 USD, the extra amp will make the bundle at around 200-250 USD depending on what you are willing to spend for an amp.
I would not get an amp that's too expensive. You have great cheap options like Fiio E11, Soundmagic A10, Linearossa W1. Or go for a DAC/AMP like the Fiio E7, E10, iBasso D-zero,... and spend a little more. With a DAC/AMP you can use your IEMs on your laptop as well with better sound quality than plugged into the headphone-out.

No problem. I already have a Practical Devices XM6
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
Source: Cowon J3
  1. Amplifier: Practical Devices XM6
  2. Budget: ~250$
  3. Music: Progressive Rock (Camel rather than Dream Theater), Blues, Classical, jazz.

Let's investigate about the Radius... This is getting endlessly interesting  
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #33 of 87
I haven't heard any IEM's besides from S4 and hp4.

I had a listen to B&W P5 and am interested if anyone can compare the sound signature to the FXT90 and GR07.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #34 of 87
I you have an amp, the RE262 seems like your best bet. Getting a perfect seal might be a little fiddling. I find it works best with a shallower fit, using the big bi-flanges, but it works quite good with triple flanges and a deeper seal as well.

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #35 of 87
I have a J3 with an arrow amp and i have both owned 262/272

262 has great mids BUT the treble roll-off was a major turn-off (i caught myself switching to the 252/zero very often)

272 is my favourite iem atm , i have it along with the ortofon eq-5 , and sorry but the eq-5 loses hands down.

amazing clarity , i use it with my arrow just to punch the bass a bit , but cold ? sorry , it sounds fine to me.

if you like your treble nice and strong , go for the 272. otherwise 262 may be a good choice.

imo , i would keep the 272 , without a second thought. very very nice iems.

Nov 16, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #36 of 87
I suggest going for the GR07. While it's overall signature is neutral, it has this ethereal warmth to it that just puts a smile on my face. There are times when I want to just relax and let my music surround me, and they are perfect for that. While they are absolutely killer for rock and electronic music, I find myself drawn in when I listen to artists like Adele, Sara Bareilles, James Morrison, etc. If it's a sweet, yet transparent, warmth you're after, Don't look past them. Also the fact that you can get a pair for less than $200 ($130 on the FS threads) doesn't hurt either.

Nov 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #37 of 87
I have ordered the HifiMan RE262
etysmile.gif

I have also ordered a Sense G3 T7 tube amp for $169. I was firmly decided to pay $890 for the Earmax Pro but, after looking a picture of the components, I believe that the clone may not sound much different, specially after some DIY mods. But that is another story... I will evaluate everything in another thread when I try it.

Kiteki, I have read the reviews of the Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 and it looks really interesting for $44 only.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #38 of 87
I have received the HifiMan RE262 and they sound like real crap. As when you listen to the IEM without inserting them into the ears.

I imagine that it is a faulty pair, so I asked for a replacement 5 days ago,and I am still waiting the confirmation of the address to return them
frown.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #39 of 87

Quote:
Cowon J3 = cold sounding DAP
ATH-CK10 = cold, analytical signature IEM
J3 + CK10 combo = frozen ice sound signature (literally if you get what I mean)
So my personal suggestion, you can totally forget about getting the CK10 if you are looking for that sweet mids, warm sound signature with your current gear setup. You can trust my judgement since I have literally heard most Audio-technica IEMs released thus far, and I also know where the Cowon S9/J3 stands since I had some experience with those as well.
Probably try the JVC FX700, Radius HP-TWF21 or the Earsonics SM3 v2. These are known to be slightly warmer phones with a darker-sounding signature, yet still do very well with the genres you had listed in your original criterias.

Its a bit tricky calling the FX700 dark. They really aren't dark. They have the treble to make them on the brighter side of the spectrum but they are somewhat warm due to the deep bass. There's more sub bass than mid bass and mid bass is just right. The IE8 would be dark in comparison to the FX700.

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #40 of 87
Quote:
I have received the HifiMan RE262 and they sound like real crap. As when you listen to the IEM without inserting them into the ears.

I imagine that it is a faulty pair, so I asked for a replacement 5 days ago,and I am still waiting the confirmation of the address to return them
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #41 of 87
I am starting to feel disappointed with the lack of response from the HiFiMan / Head-Direct customer service.

[size=medium]I am also worried about the destiny of the package with my RE-262 returned for replacement. The tracking shows that on 28 November it failed to be delivered due to incorrect address, and I have used the specified address in Hong-kong, following the instructions from the Head-Direct website. 
confused.gif
[/size]

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #42 of 87
[size=medium]This is getting a little bit weird. The Head Direct web has changed the address for refund and replacement.[/size]

[size=medium]The 25th November, the day that I sent my package, the address was in Hong-Kong:[/size]

[size=medium]Huida c/o head-direct[/size]
[size=medium]Wharehouse Keeping Number 811[/size]
[size=medium]12,6/f hongleong industrial complex [/size]
[size=medium]No,4 wang kwong road kowloon[/size]
[size=medium]Hong Kong[/size]
[size=medium]Phone: 852-27954333[/size]

[size=medium]Now they show an address at the US:[/size]

[size=medium]Head-Direct Corporaiton[/size]
[size=medium]41-70 Main street, #3-326[/size]
[size=medium]Flushing, NY 11355[/size]
[size=medium]United States[/size]

[size=medium]http://www.hifiman.us/AboutUs/Warranty/[/size]

[size=medium]For a moment I thought that I had a strange mind lapse when I wrote the address, but I have checked Google Cache and it is still showing the address in Hong-Kong.[/size]

[size=medium]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FHnig83SN0kJ:www.hifiman.us/AboutUs/Warranty/[/size]

[size=medium]Have they closed the kiosk in Hong-Kong? Why are they not answering the emails that I am sending on a daily basis?[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Anyone knows another email to contact with HiFiMan / Head-Direct different than customerservice@head-direct.com or shipping@head-direct.com? [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The carrier, EMS, says that the receiver should call the EMS office in Hong-Kong and, since the address is incorrect, they have to personally pick the package there.[/size][/size]

Dec 1, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #43 of 87

If the error is on their part, then they need to own up and be responsible. I hope things work out for you though. Strange that you'd have these issues and your in China as well? Do you have proof of the address they wanted you to send the package to? If so that is all you'll need.
Quote:
[size=medium]This is getting a little bit weird. The Head Direct web has changed the address for refund and replacement.[/size]

[size=medium]The 25th November, the day that I sent my package, the address was in Hong-Kong:[/size]

[size=medium]Huida c/o head-direct[/size]
[size=medium]Wharehouse Keeping Number 811[/size]
[size=medium]12,6/f hongleong industrial complex [/size]
[size=medium]No,4 wang kwong road kowloon[/size]
[size=medium]Hong Kong[/size]
[size=medium]Phone: 852-27954333[/size]

[size=medium]Now they show an address at the US:[/size]

[size=medium]Head-Direct Corporaiton[/size]
[size=medium]41-70 Main street, #3-326[/size]
[size=medium]Flushing, NY 11355[/size]
[size=medium]United States[/size]

[size=medium]http://www.hifiman.us/AboutUs/Warranty/[/size]

[size=medium]For a moment I thought that I had a strange mind lapse when I wrote the address, but I have checked Google Cache and it is still showing the address in Hong-Kong.[/size]

[size=medium]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:FHnig83SN0kJ:www.hifiman.us/AboutUs/Warranty/[/size]

[size=medium]Have they closed the kiosk in Hong-Kong? Why are they not answering the emails that I am sending on a daily basis?[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]Anyone knows another email to contact with HiFiMan / Head-Direct different than customerservice@head-direct.com or shipping@head-direct.com? [/size][/size]
[size=medium][size=medium]The carrier, EMS, says that the receiver should call the EMS office in Hong-Kong and, since the address is incorrect, they have to personally pick the package there.[/size][/size]

Dec 1, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #44 of 87

Quote:
If the error is on their part, then they need to own up and be responsible. I hope things work out for you though. Strange that you'd have these issues and your in China as well? Do you have proof of the address they wanted you to send the package to? If so that is all you'll need.

No, I'm in Bangkok, quite the same spelling as Hong-kong  :)  I have the proof with the address, but I'm still waiting for signs of life.

Just a simple acknowledge receipt of my emails saying "we are going to investigate" would give me peace of mind...
triportsad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back