Searching for Sweet and Warm IEM for 250$
Nov 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 87
FXT90 is comparatively brighter than the GR07. GR07 is quite neutral in presentation.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #18 of 87
Not knowing what you really mean by "sweet", I will say that the SM3 is warm, enveloping and very refined. RE262 with a good portable amp is a wonderful experience too. Look for iems that are focused on the mids and have longer decays. At $200 used I consider the SM3's to be among the best values for an iem. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #19 of 87
How does the midbass hump of the FXT90 compare to HP-TWF21 and SM3V2?

I'm looking for a warm IEM with equal mid bass hump as the FXT90, lower base extension and nothing too bright or comes close to sibilant, all for < $200.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 87
I suggested the OP read over ClieOS' comparison thread, which provide a lengthy list of warm and sweet sounding earphones, and a brief but concise overview of each. 
smile.gif

Indeed, the FXT90 boasts noticeably greater sub-bass weight and impact, but the GR07's low end is no slough either. As far as midbass hump is concerned, the FXT90 boasts much more prominent sub-bass, than mid-bass. For an excellent balance of sub-bass and mid-bass weight and impact, that noticeably outweighs even the FXT90, I'd recommend the ClarityOne. At their current price (~$112), they're as good an option as any, and offer an open, airy, warm, and bassy (albeit overall balanced) sound signature.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #23 of 87

Quote:
I suggested the OP read over ClieOS' comparison thread, which provide a lengthy list of warm and sweet sounding earphones, and a brief but concise overview of each. 
smile.gif

Indeed, the FXT90 boasts noticeably greater sub-bass weight and impact, but the GR07's low end is no slough either. As far as midbass hump is concerned, the FXT90 boasts much more prominent sub-bass, than mid-bass. For an excellent balance of sub-bass and mid-bass weight and impact, that noticeably outweighs even the FXT90, I'd recommend the ClarityOne. At their current price (~$112), they're as good an option as any, and offer an open, airy, warm, and bassy (albeit overall balanced) sound signature.

Thanks for suggesting the above thread.  A quick view and I didn't see the FXT90 on the bottom "List".

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 87
It will be some time before our friend ClieOS completes his review of the FXT90. The ones he has scheduled for review can be found listed here, among which the FXT90 is listed (towards the bottom half). In any case, you can always post any inquiries in the dedicated FXT90 appreciation thread, as there are a number of people who already own the FXT90. 
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #25 of 87

Quote:
It will be some time before our friend ClieOS completes his review of the FXT90. The ones he has scheduled for review can be found listed here, among which the FXT90 is listed (towards the bottom half). In any case, you can always post any inquiries in the dedicated FXT90 appreciation thread, as there are a number of people who already own the FXT90. 
smile.gif

+1

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #26 of 87

Thank You very much for all the comments. This is getting very interesting and I am glad that I have asked before deciding.
I have written all the variables in an Excel file and I am going to read the great links that you have provided.

Quote:
Cowon J3 = cold sounding DAP

This may explain why I enjoy the combo J3+332C+HD650 more than the J3+XM6+HD650. The 332C is probably working as a subtle sweetener for the J3.

I have made an A/B comparison of the 332C Vs XM6 (I know that they are apples and oranges, but that is what I have). Both are offering a clear, detailed and balanced sound in the whole frequency spectrum, but I find that the 332C is less harsh with the high frequencies. The song "An ordinary nightmare In Poor Mr. Hope's Ordinary Life" by Tomas Bodin is useful for this comparison. It has a very deep bass and a nasty dentist drill sound. The drill is slightly less disagreeable wih the 332C, without damping the crispness. Unfortunatlely, I have to return the 332C because It has a problem with radio interferences. For portability I will use J3+XM6+??? and for the house I will get another tube amp.

At the house I will use both the HD650 and the IEM that I am going to buy, because I would like to have some isolation when there is too much noise around.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #27 of 87
The equation sweetness/price/reviews is driving me towards the RE262.

The only flaw that i see from the reviews is that "it will neet a little more volume to sound at its best, so it is not a great choice for minimum-volume-listener" and normally I like to listen music at low levels. But the $150 price is attractive, as it is less than was expecting to spend and I have to save money for a tube amp.

The JVC HA-FX70 is tempting, but $379... and it seems that the isolation is not great. Anyone know where to buy it cheaper than this?: http://www.seyo-shop.com/product.php?productid=500612809&cat=0&page=1

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 87
You'll need an amp for the RE262. But since the IEM is only 150 USD, the extra amp will make the bundle at around 200-250 USD depending on what you are willing to spend for an amp.
I would not get an amp that's too expensive. You have great cheap options like Fiio E11, Soundmagic A10, Linearossa W1. Or go for a DAC/AMP like the Fiio E7, E10, iBasso D-zero,... and spend a little more. With a DAC/AMP you can use your IEMs on your laptop as well with better sound quality than plugged into the headphone-out.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:24 AM Post #29 of 87
someone suggested the radius ddm, of all the iems i've heard these are the most musical. soundstage, bass extension, warm and sweet, presence. ( *i have the brookstone knockoff ) i've only had them since last thursday, so less than 40 hours. very full. i cannot understand why these are not on everyones top tier list. yes, it's possibly they look like alien technology very comfortable in human ears, idk. dynamic drivers done right, a fact.

Nov 16, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #30 of 87
I have the Radius DDM (the first one), the GR07, the SM3, and I have heard the FXT90.

They are all dramatically different; I don't feel the DDM or the FXT90 offer enough refinement compared to the SM3 or GR07, though they both fit the description of warm (the FXT90 more so with its mid-bass hump, whereas the DDM is a little more delicate and polite, while still being quite sweet). I haven't heard the second version of the DDM (though I'd like to). I understand its an improvement.

The SM3 matches the OP's description to the t, being so lush and liquid in its sound. I have never, ever had an issue with sibilance with the SM3; its always been relaxed and smooth. The sound however can sometimes seem a little 'thick' at first. And of course, it's an expensive option.

The GR07 is tremendous value, though its a fair bit more neutral (though still on the slightly warm side.) I'm absolutely ecstatic about the sound and in most tracks you will not experience any fatigue, though be warned on some tracks it can be of course tiring. However it would probably be my recommendation considering its flexibility with genres and lack of any major flaws in the sound.

I might also suggest the Ortofon EQ-5, which is also fairly relaxed. It's a slightly biased suggestion because I am trying to sell a pair, but they have a neutral, sweet and refreshing sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back