Searching for Sweet and Warm IEM for 250$
Nov 15, 2011 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

Pingfloid

100+ Head-Fier
  1. Source: Cowon J3
  2. Amplifier: Practical Devices XM6
  3. Budget: ~250$
  4. Music: Progressive Rock (Camel rather than Dream Theater), Blues, Classical, jazz.

As I get older, I am tending to press the "Skip to Next Track" button more often when the music is too fast or stressful.

I am searching for an earphone, or IEM that can provide sweet and warm mids and highs.

After reading kilometric posts, and the great "Multi IEM review" thread,I am considering the Audio-Technica CK10 and HiFiMan RE272. Am I in the right track with this options, if my target is "non fatigue", "sweet trebble", "pleasant mids" and "clear bass"?

The cheapest CK10 I have found so far is $300 in Ebay (including shipping to Thailand) that is what is making the cheaper RE272 a second interesting option. I will appreciate any other thoughts.

EDIT 15-Dec-2011:
Re-change thread title to the original after succesfully contact with Head-Direct

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 87
I suggest reading over our friend ClieOS' IEM comparison thread, which specifically lists out many warm and sweet sounding earphones. All the best my friend! 
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #5 of 87
I actually found Ck10s to be very cold sounding for some reason, more so than Ety's which I actually found it to be quite neutral with Shure Olives, just dead sounding

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #7 of 87

Quote:
I actually found Ck10s to be very cold sounding for some reason, more so than Ety's which I actually found it to be quite neutral with Shure Olives, just dead sounding

Agreed. Definitely want to stay away from the CK10 if you want warm and sweet. I personally loved them though because they were the perfect size for my ear xD

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 87
I second the RE262s; while I personally did not enjoy them due to the treble, they did have a warm and sweet sound sig. Another option is to look into the IE8s, while they are a bit dark sounding, they are also warm and pretty sweet to my ears. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 87
  • Source: Cowon J3

• Cowon J3 = cold sounding DAP
    ATH-CK10 = cold, analytical signature IEM
    J3 + CK10 combo = frozen ice sound signature (literally if you get what I mean)

So my personal suggestion, you can totally forget about getting the CK10 if you are looking for that sweet mids, warm sound signature with your current gear setup. You can trust my judgement since I have literally heard most Audio-technica IEMs released thus far, and I also know where the Cowon S9/J3 stands since I had some experience with those as well.

Probably try the JVC FX700, Radius HP-TWF21 or the Earsonics SM3 v2. These are known to be slightly warmer phones with a darker-sounding signature, yet still do very well with the genres you had listed in your original criterias.

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 87
The Klipch Image X10 are warm and sweet sounding IEMs with deep, smooth, reverbing bass, crisp clear mids and clean highs with fairly wide soundstage(highely recommended). The other IEMs are also recommended like Sony EX7550, B&W C5, MTP Gold, E-Q7, FA Tendem, FXC51 and IE7.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 87

Quote:
The Klipch Image X10 are warm and sweet sounding IEMs with deep, smooth, reverbing bass, crisp clear mids and clean highs with fairly wide soundstage(highely recommended). The other IEMs are also recommended like Sony EX7550, B&W C5, MTP Gold, E-Q7, FA Tendem, FXC51 and IE7. Quote:

Do you consider FXT90 a warm and sweet sounding IEM?

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 87
Quote:
Do you consider FXT90 a warm and sweet sounding IEM?

I'd say they're slightly north of neutral, though nowhere near DBA-02/CK10 bright. Their overall presentation conveys a slight sense of a brightness, but I've come to find with certain tips, they sound closer to neutral than not.

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 87

Quote:
Cowon J3 = cold sounding DAP
ATH-CK10 = cold, analytical signature IEM
J3 + CK10 combo = frozen ice sound signature (literally if you get what I mean)
So my personal suggestion, you can totally forget about getting the CK10 if you are looking for that sweet mids, warm sound signature with your current gear setup. You can trust my judgement since I have literally heard most Audio-technica IEMs released thus far, and I also know where the Cowon S9/J3 stands since I had some experience with those as well.
Probably try the JVC FX700, Radius HP-TWF21 or the Earsonics SM3 v2. These are known to be slightly warmer phones with a darker-sounding signature, yet still do very well with the genres you had listed in your original criterias.

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back