SE846 Filter mod
Nov 18, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #166 of 252
I tried the Jackomik mod, I used some silicon tube that wrapped around the metal nozzle then some thicker tubing to sandwich the needle tip and hold it firmly in place. I'm tempted to epoxy it to the silicon just to be extra sure it won't fall out, but it feels very secure now. It's sorta a modified Frankenstein tip now.
I used a 0.64mm dia. needle tip, (as well as trying out 0.4mm, and 1mm)

The 0.4mm didn't make a big difference, more airy treble response (similar to going from Green knowles to Brown)
the 1mm tube was too open and completely killed the bass response, as well as killing the isolation of the iems.

the 0.64mm is my ideal, I have only used it for 24 hours so far but it increases the sound stage as well as brightening up the earphones. I've gone from brown Knowles to green with a damping foam from the stock blues in each side. I've mounted them into the existing white filter tube rather than using a cotton swab. I think the green and foam is the orignal stock blue filter but at some point it got changed to white cloth in the blue filters.

It increases the sound stage massively and totally removes ear fatigue, because the pressure equalises. Everything sounds clearer and more naturally layered, the sound stage doesn't get wider but deeper, it's not easy to explain but the sounds are layered with more space between them, instead of previously where they sounded intimate (but in no way closed). There is no trace of any veil characteristic to the sound.
I find myself looking over my shoulder occasionally because in some tracks I'll hear parts of tracks that sound as if they're distinctly behind me.

I'd definitely say this combination of mods has completely opened up the earphones to their full potential.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #167 of 252
Must admit the stock tips ( combined with the blue filter) does lack in the upper treble dept, but for me I tried the shure supplied triple flange tips and I am getting loads of beautiful treble without any mods. I knew tips do effect the sound, but the treble difference is huge between the stock silicon and triple flange!

Dec 2, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #168 of 252
So is there any difference in using the white filters (stock) against the blue filters with the earpiece foam removed?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #170 of 252
The dampers at the bottom of the filter tubes have slightly different impedances, so yes, there's a difference :wink:

Please arrange in order of Brightest to Warmest.

White stock?
Blue without any foam?
Black without any foam?

Im trying to figure out the impedance of the attenuators in each Shure filter before any foam is added to the equation.

I also read of TRISHD (or something like that) mod. When the 2 foams are pushed in, are they compressed and then let naturally decompress or are they only pushed in so they touch each other with no compression. I would think compression of the foam would alter the sound very much.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #171 of 252
Please arrange in order of Brightest to Warmest.

White stock?
Blue without any foam?
Black without any foam?

Im trying to figure out the impedance of the attenuators in each Shure filter before any foam is added to the equation.

I also read of TRISHD (or something like that) mod. When the 2 foams are pushed in, are they compressed and then let naturally decompress or are they only pushed in so they touch each other with no compression. I would think compression of the foam would alter the sound very much.

Thanks
The order of brightest-to-warmest would be exactly as you've listed them. Just bear in mind that things aren't quite that simple as we're not just changing a single number, but creating a slightly differently-shaped FR curve.

I haven't done extensive tests on the trishd mod to see the effect of compressing the foam, but I doubt it would be significant because you wouldn't be able to compress the foam in the tube unless you wedged something else down there to stop it from expanding. It's not very dense foam and when you push it down to the filter end, it will naturally expand again. Trishd is quite an interesting mod. It takes a chunk out of the mid-range and makes the SE846 more v-shaped. I prefer it (with silicone tips) to any of the stock filters or any of the Knowles' replacement dampers:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #172 of 252
Trishd is quite an interesting mod. It takes a chunk out of the mid-range and makes the SE846 more v-shaped. I prefer it (with silicone tips) to any of the stock filters or any of the Knowles' replacement dampers:

What he said! This is my favorite mod setup as well.

Terry

Apr 23, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #173 of 252
The order of brightest-to-warmest would be exactly as you've listed them. Just bear in mind that things aren't quite that simple as we're not just changing a single number, but creating a slightly differently-shaped FR curve.

I haven't done extensive tests on the trishd mod to see the effect of compressing the foam, but I doubt it would be significant because you wouldn't be able to compress the foam in the tube unless you wedged something else down there to stop it from expanding. It's not very dense foam and when you push it down to the filter end, it will naturally expand again. Trishd is quite an interesting mod. It takes a chunk out of the mid-range and makes the SE846 more v-shaped. I prefer it (with silicone tips) to any of the stock filters or any of the Knowles' replacement dampers:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/se846-filter-mod.802350/page-11#post-14224778

Ok, thanks for that. So if I understood correctly, White with no foam has more treble than blue with all foam removed? If that's the case, how would White with just one foam placed in the side closest to the ear canal compare to the Blue filter with Trishd mod? I personally like a thick midrange as long as it is clear.

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #174 of 252
Ok, thanks for that. So if I understood correctly, White with no foam has more treble than blue with all foam removed? If that's the case, how would White with just one foam placed in the side closest to the ear canal compare to the Blue filter with Trishd mod? I personally like a thick midrange as long as it is clear.
I'm not sure I've ever tried that combination. Give it a try and see if you like it.

P.S. I'm not sure if the foam in the black and blue filters are of the same density, so you might have a couple of options to test there.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #175 of 252
I'm not sure I've ever tried that combination. Give it a try and see if you like it.

P.S. I'm not sure if the foam in the black and blue filters are of the same density, so you might have a couple of options to test there.

I will, I just can't yet because I only have blues. I bought them used and the blue ones are the only ones they came with. I ordered the pill box with all the filters so when they come in I'll be able to test everything myself.

I saw your tests and graphs of the Knowles filters and the shifted peaks and I'm not interested in going that route.

I wish I had some of the equipment you have access to. I would be interested in seeing graphs for the following combinations overlayed on each other.
  1. White Stock
  2. White with 1 foam close to attenuator
  3. White with 1 foam far from attenuator
  4. White with Trishd configuration
  5. White with 2 foams (one on each end)
  1. Blue with no foam
  2. Blue with 1 foam close to attenuator
  3. Blue with 1 foam far from attenuator
  4. Blue with Trishd configuration
  5. Blue Stock
  1. Black with no foam
  2. Black with 1 foam close to attenuator
  3. Black with 1 foam far from attenuator
  4. Black with Trishd configuration
  5. Black Stock
I know, it's most definitetly alot to ask. It would be an immense contribution to the SE846 community though. This would be every combination possible with the stock filters. The underlined ones are the ones I'm particularly interested in.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #176 of 252
I will, I just can't yet because I only have blues. I bought them used and the blue ones are the only ones they came with. I ordered the pill box with all the filters so when they come in I'll be able to test everything myself.

I saw your tests and graphs of the Knowles filters and the shifted peaks and I'm not interested in going that route.

I wish I had some of the equipment you have access to. I would be interested in seeing graphs for the following combinations overlayed on each other.
  1. White Stock
  2. White with 1 foam close to attenuator
  3. White with 1 foam far from attenuator
  4. White with Trishd configuration
  5. White with 2 foams (one on each end)
  1. Blue with no foam
  2. Blue with 1 foam close to attenuator
  3. Blue with 1 foam far from attenuator
  4. Blue with Trishd configuration
  5. Blue Stock
  1. Black with no foam
  2. Black with 1 foam close to attenuator
  3. Black with 1 foam far from attenuator
  4. Black with Trishd configuration
  5. Black Stock
I know, it's most definitetly alot to ask. It would be an immense contribution to the SE846 community though. This would be every combination possible with the stock filters. The underlined ones are the ones I'm particularly interested in.

Heh - may be overkill! The TrishD Mod suffices! :)

Terry

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #178 of 252
Perhaps, still I would be curious about the possibilities with the white filter and some foam. I'm kinda surprised this hasn't been explored yet.
These are all good ideas - we might learn something interesting. It's just a question of time. I can't promise an ETA, but I'll add it to my to-do list.

P.S. I suspect that anything you do with the white filter tube is going to cause you to lose some sub-bass.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #179 of 252
These are all good ideas - we might learn something interesting. It's just a question of time. I can't promise an ETA, but I'll add it to my to-do list.

P.S. I suspect that anything you do with the white filter tube is going to cause you to lose some sub-bass.

I look forward to trying all these combinations when I receive my filter tubes. I was kinda hoping someone would come out and say "Actually this has been tried, here is the thread where its discussed." Oh well, i'll try them all and let my ears decide. I've also been wondering about the black filter with all foam removed and what it would sound like. Its got the densest attenuator which would favor the bass, but would the removal of the foam free up some of the highs? So many questions, so little time lol.

Looking forward to your graphs whenever you get a chance to test out these configs.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Apr 28, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #180 of 252
I received the filters pill box directly from Shure. I noticed that the white filters had no foams as expected. The blue filters had 2 foams per filter as expected. But the black filters... one had 2 foams and the other one had only 1. Whats the correct number of foams for the black filter?

Surprisingly, the sound I enjoyed most was the black without any foam. Lots of detail and the bass was all there. White with just one foam far from the attenuator also sounded good to my ears. It sounded like a very flat EQ, perhaps what the blue should have been. But black with no foam.. has anyone here given that a listen? To me it sounded like the white, but with more bass. Im starting to think that the attenuator in the Black filter is dense enough that it kills the harsh stuff without even needing supplementary foam.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back