SE535 for Classical?
Oct 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ColoredVinylSucks

New Head-Fier
I need an IEM for classical music (large symphonic works), and I wanted to know how the 535s would work in this situation? These will be for on the go listening with my A&K Kann, which is loaded with 24/192 FLAC and DSD files. I'm not interested in the ER4s, because as a low brass player, I like just a little more color than Etys give. At the current $349 price for the 535s, would that be tough to beat?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 6
For around that price range, maybe consider the Moondrop Blessing 2 or the LZ A7. Search for either in the Portable Headphones, etc. section of Head-Fi, plenty of chatter and talk about each IEM.

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 6
After trying several different IEMs (see my sig), the best IEM that I have for classical music, especially symphonic music, is the NF Audio NM2+. It is a single dynamic driver IEM, but it sounds so natural and realistic, plus is has a very impressive soundstage and imaging. It is the most technically capable single DD that I’ve heard thus far. @tgx78 is a classical music aficionado, and has tried several different IEMs as well, and we both agree, that for most classical music, the NM2+ is even better than the UM MEST. He also really likes the LZ A7 for certain classical pieces, but I have not yet heard the A7.

Just FYI, I’m a big fan of the Shure se846, so I have nothing against Shure, but you can get a lot better sound for the money nowadays. If you need it as a stage monitor, then things are a bit different.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 6
After trying several different IEMs (see my sig), the best IEM that I have for classical music, especially symphonic music, is the NF Audio NM2+. It is a single dynamic driver IEM, but it sounds so natural and realistic, plus is has a very impressive soundstage and imaging. It is the most technically capable single DD that I’ve heard thus far. @tgx78 is a classical music aficionado, and has tried several different IEMs as well, and we both agree, that for most classical music, the NM2+ is even better than the UM MEST. He also really likes the LZ A7 for certain classical pieces, but I have not yet heard the A7.

Just FYI, I’m a big fan of the Shure se846, so I have nothing against Shure, but you can get a lot better sound for the money nowadays. If you need it as a stage monitor, then things are a bit different.

I know price doesn't always determine quality, but I am surprised to hear such high regard for IEMs that are under $200. For the record, I listen to a lot of Brucker, Shostakovich, and Rachmaninov symphonies. Really loud brass and low brass parts. Any other recommendations that don't go over $499?

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 6
I know price doesn't always determine quality, but I am surprised to hear such high regard for IEMs that are under $200. For the record, I listen to a lot of Brucker, Shostakovich, and Rachmaninov symphonies. Really loud brass and low brass parts. Any other recommendations that don't go over $499?
The interesting thing about IEMs is that there are a lot of excellent products in the $100-300 range, then to get a significantly better product. you have to jump to the $700-800 range, then the $1500-2000 range. Price no object, out of everything I’ve heard thus far, for all classical, jazz, acoustic music, I would choose the NM2+. The only catch is if you are very sensitive to upper midrange frequencies, around 2-5KHz. Upper midrange is really prominent on the NM2+, though FWIW, I tend to be very sensitive to those frequencies, and I find this IEM amazing. The best deal has been via Drop (since you live in the US), but the 2nd drop just ended.

Between the NM2+ and the LZ A7, in the $500 or less range, I honestly can’t think of anything better. The Moondrop Blessing 2 is also a well liked neutral-ish IEM, but I haven’t heard that one either. There is the JVC/Drop FDX1, but I prefer the NM2+ to it.

Edit: For a bit more relaxing signature compared to the NM2+, the Tanchjim Oxygen is also an excellent single DD IEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back