Se530's died, in ear/portable with same traits +better bass?
Sep 30, 2010 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Stylus_K

New Head-Fier
My pair of SE530's finally died on me after 3-4 yrs of constant use...

I must admit I've been trying to find a replacement for quite a while now.

I love their rich creamy midrange and smooth top end (i'm not looking for critical analysis while walking around...)

But lamented the lack of bass in either good quantity or quality.

Is there any in ear, or even closed back portable headphone that can approximate this?

As much as I say MORE BASS!, I've shot down quite a few other headphones for less than stellar top ends.

It's become most noticeable now the lack of clarity when a singer sings anything with an 'S' sound in it.

Silibance I think it's called?

In any event I've heard Klipsch X10's which failed this clarity test, but were otherwise great

Ditto the Shure SRH840

So in summary,

rich creamy mid,
smooth top end (but with enough presision so things like Symbols and 'S' come through without sounding muffled)
Good Bass (not too crazy, just a little more than neutral, punchy, fast)

Thanks for your thoughts!  

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 13
Ive been in the same boat as you, have a dead pair of E500s and a dying pair of SE530... After everything I've tried, I'm learning that I just really like the sound of the SE530 more  than its competitors. 

Sep 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Did the cable die or the whole driver? If its only the cable then you can probably get it recabled with a detachable cable or remould the whole shell to make it seem like new again.

Sep 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Westone 3

Westone 3 mids are not rich like the SE530. UM3x is more like the SE530 with more bass and a warmer sound. Maybe consider getting the SE535

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Did the cable die or the whole driver? If its only the cable then you can probably get it recabled with a detachable cable or remould the whole shell to make it seem like new again.

Cable dying at the point where the L & right cables join in the Y to the 3.5mm plug. Right side cuts out of you jiggle the cable. Might look into a recable aswell! Any ideas who can do it in Oz? or am I going to have to send them to Moon Audio or someone like that?

Oct 5, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 13
I haven't found an IEM which does mid-range like the 530's...would you be opposed to buying, say, the 535's and a headphone amp? After properly amping my iPod, my 530's have much tighter bass. Just a thought...

Oct 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 13
we can organise a full custom re-shell and cable for you, if by Oz you mean the great land down under!

www.uniquemelody.com.au

mods, i hope this is allowed.

Quote:
Cable dying at the point where the L & right cables join in the Y to the 3.5mm plug. Right side cuts out of you jiggle the cable. Might look into a recable aswell! Any ideas who can do it in Oz? or am I going to have to send them to Moon Audio or someone like that?

Oct 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #10 of 13
I went from Shure SE530's to UE TF10's Westone UM3X to Westone 3.  To me, the TF10's are close to what you are looking for.  I really liked the sound a lot, but they are horribly uncomfortable to me.  I couldn't use them.  Like having a square wine cork stuck in my outer ear.  After my brief excursion, my next foray into IEM's will be either based on best reasonable sound for around $125, or will result in me owning a pair of SE535's.

Oct 6, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 13
if you have some $ to spend try the stax sr001 mk2 or jh-13s. i too liked those shures,  but these 2 are even nicer with greater clarity.
apparently the fischer audio dba-02 also has a following around here, and costs a lot less than the others. availability for the next few weeks seems to be an issue. i've not heard them but to get a sense of the buzz see long time h-fer LFF's review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484569/review-fischer-audio-s-dba-02
vs rawster's review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497262/review-fischer-audio-dba-02
or for more reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504857/list-of-fischer-audio-dba-02-reviews
if these aren't bassy enough for you perhaps monster turbine gold or coppers might do the trick.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Fischer Audio Eterna.  Out of all the earphones I've used, this reminds me the most of the SE530 in note presentation.  The frequency response is a bit different and has a lot more low end bass that you seek.  Is this your best option?  Meh, but it's cheap, and it's good in its own right and at least reminds this guy of the SE530 more than most other products.

Oct 6, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the reply fellas, now I've got heaps to research. Now the decision comes: Reshell the Shures or go new....  decisions decisions!
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back