SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Jun 16, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #406 of 590
  Hello Friend,
could inform me of shure models, what do you have?
è I have the Shure SE535-CL.
like a feedback.rsrs
In the case of my shure use an IPOD + EQ + Shure SE535,
When increasing the total volume of my iPod, the sound coming out of shure seems half trembling in the acute,
Type the music of slipknot - the sound of dishes me sounds kind of shaky, I wonder if it has the Shure SE535, the sound in a natural way or acute this excelling on the other instruments of music.

so you play with the eq ... you raise the treble ? if yes that would what likely affecting the quality of the treble and then after the eq you raise the volume of the ipod that makes a lot of distortion .. i think that using a quality amp will solve that problem and might decrease the need of boosting the treble ( or playing with the eq from the first place ) to some degree ... you may try that solution first

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #407 of 590
  Hello juliojlo,

I have the normal brown SE535's.
So far I'm playing them with a Samsung Galaxy S3. Not s(h)ure what portable DAC/amp I'll buy.

I am downgrading from an Audez'e LCD-2 with a schiit stack, so I'm quite spoiled and I'd like to get at least some of the warm Audez'e sound out of these Shure's.

Hello SennMetal
I also do not have an AMP / DAC, another day I would have a :)
What kind of music like to listen to the Shure SE535,
In my case I listen to a lot Slipknot and System Of Down, Mudyvane and other genre.
The sound of my shure not think this out neutral, the sound is much more self for acute, use an EQ, the voice of singing is half trembling, the more it all occurs when the sound is loud :)
At low sound I hear normal over not hear the music details,
On your Samsung sound out loud? the voice remains clean and clear?
this well enjoying the sound?
I think it might be my ipode or I very exageiro in wanting a clean, clear sound :)
Thank you and good night friend.

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #408 of 590

so you play with the eq ... you raise the treble ? if yes that would what likely affecting the quality of the treble and then after the eq you raise the volume of the ipod that makes a lot of distortion .. i think that using a quality amp will solve that problem and might decrease the need of boosting the treble ( or playing with the eq from the first place ) to some degree ... you may try that solution first

Hello Friend,
On my iPod I leave the sound at most and EQ I leave everything in the maximum :)
if I leave it on low until it comes out good, no distortion,
more if I increased a little more normal it seems that is the middle with a wheezing sound.
I have more utimamento left in neutral EQ and the sound iPod at most, yet even the most acute this higher than the rest of the sound.
The reviews of other users of shure, I thought it would have a more neutral sound, it could hear a louder sound and perceive the music details,
I pensandoem sell and buy a JH5 pro or god bless me I buy a pro JH13
More'm still tested other tips on shure to see if the seal :)
Thanks for the tip friend

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #409 of 590
Hello Friend,
On my iPod I leave the sound at most and EQ I leave everything in the maximum :)

if I leave it on low until it comes out good, no distortion,
more if I increased a little more normal it seems that is the middle with a wheezing sound.
I have more utimamento left in neutral EQ and the sound iPod at most, yet even the most acute this higher than the rest of the sound.
The reviews of other users of shure, I thought it would have a more neutral sound, it could hear a louder sound and perceive the music details,
I pensandoem sell and buy a JH5 pro or god bless me I buy a pro JH13
More'm still tested other tips on shure to see if the seal :)
Thanks for the tip friend

You are welcome :blush:

Jun 29, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #410 of 590
I succeeded in changing my filter from the stock one! Completely destroyed the original one and im pretty sure the needle and screwdriver damaged the nozzles inside quite a bit.

I read that a bunch of people liked the 2200 and 3300 ohm filters. What sleeves are you guys using? Im using the 1000 ohm filter and i think its almost too warm, 3300 seems crazy high.

Also how do yo get your filters out of the nozzle? Since its metal my tools would just slide off if i try to pull them up, even if they arent attatched very hard. I left one of the earphones with the filter sticking out a little bit so i can grab it with tweezers, but the other one went almost all the way in by accident, only like 0,5 mm is sticking out.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #411 of 590
  I succeeded in changing my filter from the stock one! Completely destroyed the original one and im pretty sure the needle and screwdriver damaged the nozzles inside quite a bit.

I read that a bunch of people liked the 2200 and 3300 ohm filters. What sleeves are you guys using? Im using the 1000 ohm filter and i think its almost too warm, 3300 seems crazy high.

Also how do yo get your filters out of the nozzle? Since its metal my tools would just slide off if i try to pull them up, even if they arent attatched very hard. I left one of the earphones with the filter sticking out a little bit so i can grab it with tweezers, but the other one went almost all the way in by accident, only like 0,5 mm is sticking out.

this is the best method for changing filters : http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/accessories/hf/er38-45.html

Jul 26, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #412 of 590
Guys, do you know, is it safe to use SE535 without dampers if I dry them every night with lot of silica gel? 

I broke a bit one nozzle during original filter remove (got damaged one filter by alcohol during nozzle cleaning). I've replaced one shell with replica from china, and it's nozzle is just a little bit thiner, so knowles damper does not go even with some pressure. Right now I'm waiting for another pair of shells of different color as well as for removal tool, but before this I'm using IEMs without any damper.

Theoretically dampers aren't airtight, so I will not do anything new to IEMs if will use them without dampers. Or not? 

Jul 26, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #414 of 590
  It is safe as long as you keep out earwax or other debris, but the frequency response will be very strong in the mid-treble. (They are acoustic filters after all.)

Definetly, I've already found 2200Ohm (red) dampers as my favourite before to disassemble one of shells.

Maybe I should leave original shell with several light cracks, but previously i have had E5C, and once the cracks started to appear on both nozzles, they kept to grow no matter how I glued them. 

Jul 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #415 of 590
So I started to get a really bad imbalance problem, the left ear piece got really low, I thought it was defective, there was nothing wrong visually with the filters(browns), so just to check, I got them out and tested without any filter, and that was it, problem solved. I guess that over time the filters may be getting congested, but the dirt is really not visible, might need a microscope.  
rolleyes.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #416 of 590
So I started to get a really bad imbalance problem, the left ear piece got really low, I thought it was defective, there was nothing wrong visually with the filters(browns), so just to check, I got them out and tested without any filter, and that was it, problem solved. I guess that over time the filters may be getting congested, but the dirt is really not visible, might need a microscope.  :rolleyes:

All the more reason to have some extra filters on hand.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #417 of 590
Few months ago I acquired a new 535 bronze and immediately modded and settled on the white after comparing to brown and grey, pretty much echoing the others assessment. Recently had a cable go bad and upgraded to a Moon Silver Dragon. With the white, now too rolled off on the highs and lacking detail. So in went the grey and these seem a better match for this cable. Old cable probably a bit too bright. Point being there's many factors in choosing the filter. Besides cable, quality of music and playback. If you listen to mp3's my guess is you'd want to tame the highs and push the bass. I mostly listen to DSD and 24-192 and at very least standard flac.
This is a great thread and thanks everyone for your input. Really takes the shures to another level when we can customize for our own needs.

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #419 of 590
Thanks for this great thread. I had a bad feeling for not beeing able to get the se535 ltd edition at first, but with this help it probably will be even better! :D
Still, the 30 Euro for importing these into Germany are kind of a pain in the ass.
So if somebody from europe is thinking of ordering them, I could sell you the white, grey, brown and green ones. Would be a win win situation! So contact me on norbert95@gmx.net if you're interrested in. :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #420 of 590
Anyone running FILTERLESS?

Thoughts of filtered vs. filtered?

**Note that removing the filter not only removes the screen, but its can as well (increasing the inner diameter of the nozzle).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back