SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Jun 13, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #392 of 590
  About 2 weeks ago, I broke my wax filter for SE535 while cleaning. The filter apparently is also a acoustic damper, which affects the sound. Without the filter, SE535's sound changed. The bass was less tight and treble was harsh. So I started a tread asking for help. Thankfully, Ink, contributor of this blog: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/ , contacted me and offered to replace my filter. I sent my SE535 to Rin, and it came back today with multiple sets of dampers.

Here is the link to Rin's thought on SE535+Damper: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2013/05/shure-se535.html

Anyways, in this tread, I'll post how each damper changes the sound of the SE535 as well as how to change the dampers.

Thanks to Ink and Rin.

Here are tips on how to remove the dampers:
Using filter replacement tools like that of Etymotic helps, but is not needed.
I used a stock wax loop from UE.
Carefully pull on the side of the damper, not the mesh. Those mesh rips easily.
Also, the damper flies off once enough force is applied. Careful again.

User Impressions!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers#post_9711106
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers/30#post_9748470
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers/45#post_9773853
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers/45#post_9844708

Hello Friend,
I wonder these filters are compatible with my Shure SE535-CL, as you said, I think my SE535 pulling this much for acute, I wanted to experiment with other filters to find a nice harmony in music.
know of any site that sends to Brazil?
Thank you very much.

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #393 of 590

Hello Friend,
I wonder these filters are compatible with my Shure SE535-CL, as you said, I think my SE535 pulling this much for acute, I wanted to experiment with other filters to find a nice harmony in music.
Thank you very much.

Firstly, they are compatible, CL or not. CL is just the color coding(clear). And I'm not sure about dealers in brazil.

Jun 14, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #394 of 590

Hello Friend,
Thank you very much.

all 535s are compatible ... i have CL and the filters by the way

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #395 of 590
  Firstly, they are compatible, CL or not. CL is just the color coding(clear). And I'm not sure about dealers in brazil.

Hello Friend,
Thank you for the information.
I will search the net a means to buy and put on my Shure,
let me know if besides the filters to another means of improving the quality of the songs?
Use an EQ + Ipod + shure, what else could put to improve the sound quality?
Thank you friend.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #396 of 590

all 535s are compatible ... i have CL and the filters by the way

Hello Friend,
Ok, I'll see if I can find these filters, informs me know if other improvements so the sound quality,
Using an Ipod + EQ + shure, I still think that an exchange of cable for a better could improve,
Thank You for the information.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #397 of 590
Hello Friend,
Ok, I'll see if I can find these filters, informs me know if other improvements so the sound quality,
Using an Ipod + EQ + shure, I still think that an exchange of cable for a better could improve,
Thank You for the information.

1-put a quality amp between iPod and shure ...
2- or get a better player than the iPod ... It is about increasing fun and musicality.. IPod is not a bad player at all but it sounds dead and boring to me ..

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #398 of 590
1-put a quality amp between iPod and shure ...
2- or get a better player than the iPod ... It is about increasing fun and musicality.. IPod is not a bad player at all but it sounds dead and boring to me ..

Hello Friend,
Thank you for specific information
I think I'll buy FiiO E18, plus the price we paid it plus the value of the handset, I think I'll sell my ipod and phone shure and buy a player + jh13 pro
I think it would be more correct quality gain?
or better to buy an AMP?
thank you friend

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #399 of 590

Hello Friend,
Thank you for specific information
I think I'll buy FiiO E18, plus the price we paid it plus the value of the handset, I think I'll sell my ipod and phone shure and buy a player + jh13 pro
I think it would be more correct quality gain?
or better to buy an AMP?
thank you friend

i am not sure if i got you right ... but what i understand is that you have 2 options here ... getting Fiio E18 with your current gear ... or selling all of this and getting a player + jh13 pro ?
if that what you mean ... of course i believe that  player + jh13 pro will be a better and bigger step gaining audio quality

Jun 14, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #400 of 590

i am not sure if i got you right ... but what i understand is that you have 2 options here ... getting Fiio E18 with your current gear ... or selling all of this and getting a player + jh13 pro ?
if that what you mean ... of course i believe that  player + jh13 pro will be a better and bigger step gaining audio quality

Hello Friend,
Correct, I was thinking of selling the Shure SE535 and the Ipod, :)
After buying the Jh13 pro + x5 player or ipod 5g.
It would be a good combo :)?
Thanks for the info friend.

Jun 15, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #401 of 590

Hello Friend,
Correct, I was thinking of selling the Shure SE535 and the Ipod, :)
After buying the Jh13 pro + x5 player or ipod 5g.
It would be a good combo :)?
Thanks for the info friend.

you are the most welcome ...
yes if i where you i would go for JH13 pro and the player it is a good upgrade ... for the players or amps i would ask in the jh13 pro thread about the best player / amp that runs with them

Jun 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #402 of 590
  you are the most welcome ...
... for the players or amps i would ask in the jh13 pro thread about the best player / amp that runs with them

Hello Friend,
In case, I checked the value of the JH13 Pro, for inportar to Brazil it will be very costly,
I was thinking about JH5, as it will be for use on an iPod,
I think it would be a good inda :)
Earn money ta difficult :) rsrrsrs

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #403 of 590
I've been listening to my Shure's for a week now, and already tempted to mod them.
I'd like to try the brown ones, but where can I buy any that ships to Europe /without/ asking 20/30 dollars for shipping?

Jun 15, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #404 of 590
  I've been listening to my Shure's for a week now, and already tempted to mod them.
I'd like to try the brown ones, but where can I buy any that ships to Europe /without/ asking 20/30 dollars for shipping?

Hello Friend,
could inform me of shure models, what do you have?
è I have the Shure SE535-CL.
like a feedback.rsrs
In the case of my shure use an IPOD + EQ + Shure SE535,
When increasing the total volume of my iPod, the sound coming out of shure seems half trembling in the acute,
Type the music of slipknot - the sound of dishes me sounds kind of shaky, I wonder if it has the Shure SE535, the sound in a natural way or acute this excelling on the other instruments of music.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #405 of 590
Hello juliojlo,

I have the normal brown SE535's.
So far I'm playing them with a Samsung Galaxy S3. Not s(h)ure what portable DAC/amp I'll buy.

I am downgrading from an Audez'e LCD-2 with a schiit stack, so I'm quite spoiled and I'd like to get at least some of the warm Audez'e sound out of these Shure's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back