SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Sep 10, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #571 of 590
I am new to this forum. After reading through all the posts (& doing research online), I decided to change the dampers on my Shure SE425. I made a jig to remove the dampers using a big sewing needle. Pictures show the jig and the dampers from my SE425. I have ordered the brown and green dampers from Mouser. Thanks to all the members for sharing their knowledge on changing the dampers. Can't wait for the arrival of the new dampers and testing them!

Attachments

• 20200910_145824 (2).jpg
    20200910_145824 (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200910_145938 (2).jpg
    20200910_145938 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200910_150015 (2).jpg
    20200910_150015 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 13, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #573 of 590
I am new to this forum. After reading through all the posts (& doing research online), I decided to change the dampers on my Shure SE425. I made a jig to remove the dampers using a big sewing needle. Pictures show the jig and the dampers from my SE425. I have ordered the brown and green dampers from Mouser. Thanks to all the members for sharing their knowledge on changing the dampers. Can't wait for the arrival of the new dampers and testing them!

I have SE425 on order from Shure and would be very interested in your experience with the brown and green dampers. I have changed the dampers in my SE535 from stock to the brown Knowles damper and found a small but noticable improvement in the sound, although I would have difficulty describing the difference...perhaps the highs have just a bit more definition. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #574 of 590
I have SE425 on order from Shure and would be very interested in your experience with the brown and green dampers. I have changed the dampers in my SE535 from stock to the brown Knowles damper and found a small but noticable improvement in the sound, although I would have difficulty describing the difference...perhaps the highs have just a bit more definition. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
My order from Mouser should be here on Tuesday. Will install the green dampers (first, then Brown ones) to test and see how the earphones compare to the AKG N30 as well as to the Sennheiser IE400 Pro and TinFi P1.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #575 of 590
My order from Mouser should be here on Tuesday. Will install the green dampers (first, then Brown ones) to test and see how the earphones compare to the AKG N30 as well as to the Sennheiser IE400 Pro and TinFi P1.
Great. Thanks. I don't need the SE425, but at the current price and with the included bluetooth dongle, I thougt I may as well give it a try. Probably enver be able to sell it as the new models have been announced by Shure, but I can always gift it to a family member if it doesn't impress me. I have thought about ordering the new Aonic5 as it has an interchangeable filter system similar to the SE846. But, will probably wait to see if there are any reviews posted.

Sep 25, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #576 of 590
After a week of installing the green dampers, my conclusion is they do change the overall sound of the Shure SE425, increasing the bass by quite a bit. I listen to a variety of "music" from classical to blues to rock. I also listen to "Chinese audio".
The SE425 is now "more complete" with the "missing bass" restored by changing the "dampers" I am using it with my xDuoo XD-05 amp dac sources by the xDuoo X10Tii Turntable (which is a true audiophile source).

Sep 25, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #577 of 590
After a week of installing the green dampers, my conclusion is they do change the overall sound of the Shure SE425, increasing the bass by quite a bit. I listen to a variety of "music" from classical to blues to rock. I also listen to "Chinese audio".
The SE425 is now "more complete" with the "missing bass" restored by changing the "dampers" I am using it with my xDuoo XD-05 amp dac sources by the xDuoo X10Tii Turntable (which is a true audiophile source).
I should receive my SE425 on Monday. I have received four sets of acoustic dampers from Mouser...white, brown, green and red. After having tried the brown dampers, I installed the white dampers in my SE535 and have been using them for about a week. I was abe to get the original Shure dampers out without damaging them so I may put them back in to get a baseline. I am not sure the difference between the stock and white dampers was significant. Maybe a bit more sparkle in the highs...certainly not dramatic to my ears. I will try the green dampers next in the 535.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #578 of 590
I should receive my SE425 on Monday. I have received four sets of acoustic dampers from Mouser...white, brown, green and red. After having tried the brown dampers, I installed the white dampers in my SE535 and have been using them for about a week. I was abe to get the original Shure dampers out without damaging them so I may put them back in to get a baseline. I am not sure the difference between the stock and white dampers was significant. Maybe a bit more sparkle in the highs...certainly not dramatic to my ears. I will try the green dampers next in the 535.
Have you tried the green damper in the 535 yet? Please let us know how it sounds thanks

Oct 9, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #579 of 590
Thanks to Fardenza of this parish for supplying me with all the colours of the rainbow. Now listening to Grey - even my older ears can notice an improvement in 'musicality' for me. Revisiting some favourite tracks and getting the odd shiver down my spine... such joy!

Oct 10, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #580 of 590
mprt
Have you tried the green damper in the 535 yet? Please let us know how it sounds thanks
Yes...I tried the green dampers in the SE535. I prefer the brown dampers by a large margin. In my opinion the green dampers make the overall signature to warm, too much reduction of the treble energy. I have seen comments that the bass is enhanced. I do not hear that. I believe there is a "perception" of more bass due to reducing the treble energy. I do not think the quatity of bass is actually increased. But perception is what counts, right? In the end it only matters that you like what you hear. I will probably not try the red dampers as this would move the sound signature even further away from my preferred signature and stock.
PS...cancelled my order for the 425's. I found a sweet deal on some new SE846. Have been listening to those more than the 535 the last couple weeks.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #581 of 590
Hello,

i have my Shure 535 bronze several years it's in his package i use it only several hours
Now it is as if by chance I discovered this subject which speaks of the modification for the filters which gives the same result with the new generation of the model 535ltd or the red one
my question after long years of testing members in your opinion what is the best filter you have found so that our model will be almost edienthique with the new shure 535 range
also do you advise me to change the original cable or not

Best regards

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #582 of 590
Hello,

i have my Shure 535 bronze several years it's in his package i use it only several hours
Now it is as if by chance I discovered this subject which speaks of the modification for the filters which gives the same result with the new generation of the model 535ltd or the red one
my question after long years of testing members in your opinion what is the best filter you have found so that our model will be almost edienthique with the new shure 535 range
also do you advise me to change the original cable or not

Best regards

If u like boomy sound...probably those with higher resistance. If you like clarity, then edge towards those with lower resistances..i settled on white after testing the entire range.Only you know what you like, what i can tell you is, everything is better than stock for sure. As for cable..stock is durable..but as with the filters, you can try some cheaper aftermarket cables.

Nov 19, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #583 of 590
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback
were there any video or picture tutorial how to replace the filter without breaking the earpiece or damaged
also is there any brand that manufactures the filters i want to know which the highest range brand in terms of quality and durability of the filters and if there are tools bought to make the change with flexibility

Thank you again

Nov 19, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #584 of 590
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback
were there any video or picture tutorial how to replace the filter without breaking the earpiece or damaged
also is there any brand that manufactures the filters i want to know which the highest range brand in terms of quality and durability of the filters and if there are tools bought to make the change with flexibility

Thank you again
Make sure to read the thread first, all the answers to your questions are in it.

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #585 of 590
were there any video or picture tutorial how to replace the filter without breaking the earpiece or damaged also is there any brand that manufactures the filters i want to know which the highest range brand in terms of quality and durability of the filters and if there are tools bought to make the change with flexibility

Yeah, what @povidlo said. It's not that long of a thread and all your questions are addressed. I'm pretty sure there's even talk about the 535 Reds. I have never felt the need to swap the cables on these phones. As far as filter, I used Green for a while, but when I swapped them out with Brown, I had what was so pleasing to me I stayed with Brown. The filters were not expensive when I got my first ones from Mouser.com and even cheaper when I got more from AliExpress. As you can read in previous posts, removal of the filters is not difficult, you just need to be steady and patient. I used a sharp needle. Have fun and give us a review when you're done!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back