SE530/535 Acoustic Filter Mod: More SQ improvement than cables? Dampers!
Mar 17, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #556 of 590
As a long time lurker, this topic made me join the forum! Thank you guys so much for sharing here!

Last week I ordered some filters from Mouser, they will be delivered next friday. The high amount of shipping costs made me decide to go for higher quantities of 8 grey / 8 white / 8 brown / 6 green / 2 red / 2 orange. With these amounts I got the free shipping, and it is as expensive as it would be without the extra filters + shipping costs :ksc75smile:. If somebody in the Netherlands or EU want to have some filters, please PM me.

My current setup is the Radsone ES100 (since 2 weeks) + Bronze SE535 + standard cable + cut-off triple flange tips + stock filters. I must say that I really really love the SE535's! Never get tired of listening and the sound quality is very good. Before the SE535 I used (and still use) the HD-25-ii. I think about upgrading the cable of my IEM and the tips after testing the filters. Does anybody have advice on cable/tips? :)

After testing the various filters I will share my results here!

Apr 11, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #558 of 590
Hi all, newby to the group here! I’ve been into HiFi for years but mainly records and standard set up, (LP12, naim, tannoy Hi-wired floorstanders) etc But now I’m much more into music on the go! I’ve owned various headphones over the years including some huge Staxx electrostatics over the years but have now some Shure se425's and I have just purchased some SE535’s and this thread is a real eye opener! Is there anyone who has ordered some Mouser filters from the uk that ordered too many and would like to sell me some as the £12 delivery charge is more than double the cost of the 6 filters I was planning to test! Or I’m happy to combine with someone to make an order. Thanks all

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #559 of 590
Hi all, newby to the group here! I’ve been into HiFi for years but mainly records and standard set up, (LP12, naim, tannoy Hi-wired floorstanders) etc But now I’m much more into music on the go! I’ve owned various headphones over the years including some huge Staxx electrostatics over the years but have now some Shure se425's and I have just purchased some SE535’s and this thread is a real eye opener! Is there anyone who has ordered some Mouser filters from the uk that ordered too many and would like to sell me some as the £12 delivery charge is more than double the cost of the 6 filters I was planning to test! Or I’m happy to combine with someone to make an order. Thanks all
Looks like @Faradenza has some you could have.

Also: welcome Kernowyon from Devon!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #560 of 590
While changing filters I made some photo's of them:

SE535 original filter
535_original.jpg

SE535 original vs grey knowles filter
535_greyvsoriginal.jpg

From left to right: broken SE535 original filter (horrible built quality and placed higher with some cardboard for focus), white, grey, brown, red, green, orange/yellow damper
535_comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #562 of 590
Hey guys, just wanna make sure about the quality on this before pulling the trigger. And do these break very easily? Also, do i need the mounting tool?

They are better quality than the OEM filter. They don't break easily but you could do damage to the filter part itself if you are not careful. The only tool I used was a thick sewing needle. Just remember to insert the damper into the nozzle filter end first. And, IMO, these aren't the kind of filters that are intended to be swapped out too often. I suggest getting at least one extra set to practice on. I think I tried the Green first and left them in a while. Then I put in the Brown and haven't looked back since. Have fun experimenting!

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #563 of 590
They are better quality than the OEM filter. They don't break easily but you could do damage to the filter part itself if you are not careful. The only tool I used was a thick sewing needle. Just remember to insert the damper into the nozzle filter end first. And, IMO, these aren't the kind of filters that are intended to be swapped out too often. I suggest getting at least one extra set to practice on. I think I tried the Green first and left them in a while. Then I put in the Brown and haven't looked back since. Have fun experimenting!
Thanks! They've been sounding a tad boring for a while now. Definitely will get extras, if I can't get the oem filter out, do i just break it anyway? Although I was actually refer to those from mouser,etc vs those on aliexpress, I assume it's identical since you only compared those to the OEM ones attached currently.

Apr 21, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #564 of 590
I got my first ones from Mouser. Because I’m a ding-dong I didn’t realize they were sold separately and received 1 of each color. I ordered more though Ali and they all seem to be the same. Just be as patient as you can with the original filters, but I’d be very surprised if you ever wanted to put them back in after using these dampers. It absolutely livens these already awesome phones that much :wink:

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #566 of 590
Ordered a set of most of the filters plus the tool from Aliexpress, seemed the best shipping option to Australia.

Really looking forward to giving this a go!

I've been pretty happy with the SE535 just as it is out of the box with standard cable, and a bit of EQ. But with this mod and a balanced cable to use with my AK SR25... not sure I'll need an IEM upgrade for some time to come...

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #567 of 590
Quote:

I just pulled my SE425's out and found something interesting -- there appear to be no filters in there at all. At the very bottom of the tube is something that looks like it could be a filter, but if you hold a clear 425 up to the light and look down the tube, you can see right through it to the inside of the casing. I think it's actually just a wax screen, especially since I (eek!) accidentally tore a part of it while trying to extract one.

Foam tips act like a damper for the SE425s (maybe a little too much--slightly rolled off highs). I think rubber tips sounded harsh with them.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #568 of 590
Anyone have any experience with rolling filters on on the current SE535SE (red) models?
I use the red SE535 with my M11 Pro. I have a 2.5mm balanced cable and Comply Pro foam tips. The SE535 are fitted with the white Knowles filters which I like better than the stock filters. I am loving the clarity, good bass, and excellent sound stage. The ability to swap filters is a big feature on these earphones, which Sennheiser does not advertise.

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #569 of 590
I use the red SE535 with my M11 Pro. I have a 2.5mm balanced cable and Comply Pro foam tips. The SE535 are fitted with the white Knowles filters which I like better than the stock filters. I am loving the clarity, good bass, and excellent sound stage. The ability to swap filters is a big feature on these earphones, which Sennheiser does not advertise.
Not really a surprise there conidering it was Shure who released them :p

Aug 9, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #570 of 590

Users who are viewing this thread

Back