SE215 Cable replacement
Nov 30, 2019 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jacobguy

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, you guys recommended me the Shure SE215's last year and I love them, they work beautifully and feel nice but about a year later my cable is shorting out my left IEM and it has many chew marks from my new kitten. Anyways I'm looking for a new cable there is multiple on Amazon I've been looking into with the silver/copper braiding and I need help with which one has good sound quality additionally I'm not sure what the difference is with the 2.5mm 3.5mm plugs I'm putting it into a new S10E and S7 Edge. I also dont know what MMCX and 2 Plug means. Also I'll soon be receiving another pair of IEM's recommended to me here last year, the Kinera Seed Yin how do you guys feel about those? Thanks so much for all the help and happy listening!

Dec 1, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 7
Hey everybody, you guys recommended me the Shure SE215's last year and I love them, they work beautifully and feel nice but about a year later my cable is shorting out my left IEM and it has many chew marks from my new kitten. Anyways I'm looking for a new cable there is multiple on Amazon I've been looking into with the silver/copper braiding and I need help with which one has good sound quality additionally I'm not sure what the difference is with the 2.5mm 3.5mm plugs I'm putting it into a new S10E and S7 Edge. I also dont know what MMCX and 2 Plug means. Also I'll soon be receiving another pair of IEM's recommended to me here last year, the Kinera Seed Yin how do you guys feel about those? Thanks so much for all the help and happy listening!

There are generally 2 types of IEM cable connectors - 2 pin and MMCX.

download.jpg

This is MMCX (male end)

download (1).jpg

This is 2 pin (male end)

Generally 2 pins are more durable in terms of shelf life, especially if u like to disconnect and connect different detachable cables to the IEM. But 2 pin connectors can snap inside the shell housing if u are not careful, though they generally have a longer shelf life.
If u leave the MMCX cables on and don't frequently disconnect them, then I don't see any issue with longevity for MMCX connectors.

What's confusing is that 2 pin connectors come in 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm types, and they come in Para A/B/C types too. MMCX are generally more straight forward unless the company decides to be clever and create a properietary MMCX cable connector.
You can ask more in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

2.5 mm cables are generally for balanced output, whereas 3.5 mm cables are not balanced output. If u don't know what balanced/unbalanced outputs are, u can ask them in the above thread too, but just stick with a 3.5 mm unbalanced cable for now. U may end up damaging your equipment if it is not meant for balanced connections.

I last used the Shure SE215 more than 10 years ago, IIRC I think it is an MMCX connector. But please check your SE215 to confirm this.

Whether cables change the sound signature is a very controversial topic in audiophiledom. I've seen flame wars start over it. I personally feel copper cables lower the treble a bit whereas silver plated ones increase the treble, but it's very subtle in difference, and u are better off getting filters or eartips to change sound signature than cables. The other camp would say they don't hear or measure any difference in different cable materials, so I respect both camps. But for sure a better aftermarket cable can look asthetically better and be more supple/rigid (depending on your preferences) and also eliminate microphonics if the stock cable has it.

My go to good and cheap detachable cable is the NICEHCK 8 core copper cable, it retails around 7 USD on aliexpress during sales, like now (black friday).

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 7
I have the SE215s and 535s and I think the stock cables have some advantages. I would not waste money on aftermarket cables but I don't know how much the replacements cost.

The Shures use MMCX cables and since they have a lot of models many companies make replacements. If you want to go balanced, the FiiO cable is ok also.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 7
There are generally 2 types of IEM cable connectors - 2 pin and MMCX.

This is MMCX (male end)

This is 2 pin (male end)

Generally 2 pins are more durable in terms of shelf life, especially if u like to disconnect and connect different detachable cables to the IEM. But 2 pin connectors can snap inside the shell housing if u are not careful, though they generally have a longer shelf life.
If u leave the MMCX cables on and don't frequently disconnect them, then I don't see any issue with longevity for MMCX connectors.

What's confusing is that 2 pin connectors come in 0.75 mm and 0.78 mm types, and they come in Para A/B/C types too. MMCX are generally more straight forward unless the company decides to be clever and create a properietary MMCX cable connector.
You can ask more in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low-end-cheap-generic-otherwise-bang-for-buck-cable-thread.891911/

2.5 mm cables are generally for balanced output, whereas 3.5 mm cables are not balanced output. If u don't know what balanced/unbalanced outputs are, u can ask them in the above thread too, but just stick with a 3.5 mm unbalanced cable for now. U may end up damaging your equipment if it is not meant for balanced connections.

I last used the Shure SE215 more than 10 years ago, IIRC I think it is an MMCX connector. But please check your SE215 to confirm this.

Whether cables change the sound signature is a very controversial topic in audiophiledom. I've seen flame wars start over it. I personally feel copper cables lower the treble a bit whereas silver plated ones increase the treble, but it's very subtle in difference, and u are better off getting filters or eartips to change sound signature than cables. The other camp would say they don't hear or measure any difference in different cable materials, so I respect both camps. But for sure a better aftermarket cable can look asthetically better and be more supple/rigid (depending on your preferences) and also eliminate microphonics if the stock cable has it.

My go to good and cheap detachable cable is the NICEHCK 8 core copper cable, it retails around 7 USD on aliexpress during sales, like now (black friday).

I have the SE215s and 535s and I think the stock cables have some advantages. I would not waste money on aftermarket cables but I don't know how much the replacements cost.

The Shures use MMCX cables and since they have a lot of models many companies make replacements. If you want to go balanced, the FiiO cable is ok also.

Thanks so much guys! I ended up ordering the NICEHCK 8 core copper cable since I was ordering my kinera seed Yin off aliexpress anyways. Again thanks so much for your help, any input on the kinera's? Thanks.

Dec 2, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 7
Dec 3, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 7
I can't recommend anything in IEMs. I have no luck with them. I'm always amazed when people describe the differences in sound. The few I have sound mostly the same. :frowning2:

OTOH I can spend the money elsewhere since I'm not collecting IEMs :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back