SCL5-CL in Custom Molds or SE535 Upgrade
Feb 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ThirstyMonkey

New Head-Fier
I'm hoping some of you audiophiles can offer some help.  I have an older pair of the Shure SCL5-CLs.  One of the cables has developed a short so my options are to have them reshelled into custom molds or upgrade through Shure to SE535s.  I play bass and guitar in a cover band and use the IEMs mainly for monitoring, but I also pop them in my iPod around the house.  I've never had custom shells, but I think they would help improve the low end and seal out background noise.  I'd appreciate any of you with experience giving me a suggestion on where my money would be better spent.  Thanks!

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 12
Well if budget is tight you might want to look at the vsonic GR07. Many people like these even better than the SE535s. Customs will obviously be better in about every aspect apart from the price, plus it takes a long time before they are finished.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
I'm hoping some of you audiophiles can offer some help.  I have an older pair of the Shure SCL5-CLs.  One of the cables has developed a short so my options are to have them reshelled into custom molds or upgrade through Shure to SE535s.  I play bass and guitar in a cover band and use the IEMs mainly for monitoring, but I also pop them in my iPod around the house.  I've never had custom shells, but I think they would help improve the low end and seal out background noise.  I'd appreciate any of you with experience giving me a suggestion on where my money would be better spent.  Thanks!

I have the E5 (or SCL5) and the 535. If I were in need of a monitoring IEM, I'd choose the E5. But for casual listening, I'd go with the 535. The 535 is clearer with better treble, but the E5 scales up larger (louder) for non-fatiguing stage monitoring (IMO).

I don't know what options of re-shelling you've investigated so far. I'd think that the Y-split crossover in the E5 cable would add to the cost of re-shelling (if not cause a company to reject it altogether). Edited to add: Then again, they probably just charge for a crossover in the new shell to replace the one in the Y-split (who knows?).

A helpful head-fier here once mentioned a company that did re-cabling for very reasonable prices. I'll search to see if I wrote it down somewhere or bookmarked it on one of my devices (if no one else comes up with that company's name first).

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 12
BTGAUDIO does recabling or removeable mod for iem's just had my se530 done by btgaudio with removeable cable mode, VERY reasonable Prices. he charges 45.00 for the recabling. do check them out

ive owned the 535 bronze and 535 reds. the bronze/clear are very mid forward, bass isnt overemphasized but i thought the bass was full, highs were clear and sparkled but there was roll off the reds seem to fix this, the mids are up front in your face kind of feel. a replacement cable can refine some of these signatures.

i would definitly look into btg to recable your 5's.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks everybody who's given input so far.  Truckdriver, I appreciate your insights as some one who own both Shure IEMs.  Ear fatigue is definitely an issue when playing three to four hours.  I hadn't given thought to the cross-over, but that is certainly an issue.  I've got some emails out to fabricators and I'll see what the options are.   

Feb 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 12
BTG-Audio is the exact company I was referring too, thanks Mooses9.

http://www.btg-audio.com/

Perhaps BTG-Audio can modify/repair/replace just the connection area of your current cable, ThirstyMonkey.

For the cost of an audiologist plus the fee for a re-shell (and the potential wait time, fit issues, and whatnot), I'd say just go with the upgrade money for the 535 (if you are left with those choices). But that's just my limited knowledge. More experienced members here might advise you to look at a host of value brands instead.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 12
It still might not be a bad idea to check out the vsonic gr07 iems. Many people have stated they like them more than the se535.

But yeah, you really niet customs for long rehearsels/shows. You might be able to make a custom tip? Does anyone know what the process of that is?

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
Yes. Make the shure's dedicated monitors and just get some nice IEMs for around the house (I really only do iPod listening when I'm doing yard work).

Aah ok, well doing work with universal iems isn't such a good idea for me. My ear canal is quite shallow so iems never stick in my ear very well. That's one of the reason why i'm asking for those custom sleeves. 

I just googled custom sleeves, and those things are expensive man! Like atleast 150 Euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back