SCL4 Nozzle Replacement
Oct 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gibson5469

Head-Fier
How long have the nozzles on your Shure IEM's lasted you? Can't recall the last time I used my SCL4's but they certainly worked fine then and when I went to use them today the sound out of one side was lower so I swapped nozzles and they the problem was now in the other side. Clearly the nozzle needs to be cleaned/replaced. Funny thing is, I don't see ANY wax buildup in the "problem" nozzle?!

Any comments? ideas?

Oct 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 11
On their website, Shure says even "invisible" wax build-up can cause large drops in sound, so maybe that's it?

Oct 8, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 11
Same here, the clogged nozzle looked identical to the good one.  Glad they gave an extra set.  I wonder what you do with the SE530 which don't have replaceable nozzles, did they make them clog proof?

At least with the scl4/e4c, you can buy replacement nozzles if that happens again.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Same here, the clogged nozzle looked identical to the good one.  Glad they gave an extra set.  I wonder what you do with the SE530 which don't have replaceable nozzles, did they make them clog proof?

At least with the scl4/e4c, you can buy replacement nozzles if that happens again. 

I can tell you, because I just did it today: If you can't get the "invisible" earwax out of the nozzle on your SE530, you send them back to Shure (especially if you punctured the filter with the cleaning tool while trying aggresively to remove the invisible earwax).

Oct 9, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

I can tell you, because I just did it today: If you can't get the "invisible" earwax out of the nozzle on your SE530, you send them back to Shure (especially if you punctured the filter with the cleaning tool while trying aggresively to remove the invisible earwax).

And at a cost of $145?  I think I liked it better when you could get replacement nozzles.  It looks like if you can get the waxguard tx series comply's to last, it might be well worth it to not worry about nozzles clogging anymore.  You just have to worry about hardening cables eventually cracking.

Oct 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
And at a cost of $145?  I think I liked it better when you could get replacement nozzles.  It looks like if you can get the waxguard tx series comply's to last, it might be well worth it to not worry about nozzles clogging anymore.  You just have to worry about hardening cables eventually cracking.

I expect this to be fully covered by the warranty. That's what the rep indicated on the phone too.

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

I expect this to be fully covered by the warranty. That's what the rep indicated on the phone too.

Oh lucky you, you have warranty still.  Wait til your warranty runs out and then you'll really feel anger towards a design with irreplaceable paper filters that clog with earwax and break when attempted to be cleaned.  On a $500 headphone....it just angers me that they chose this route.

Oct 10, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 11
Shure is not the only company will non user replaceable filter in the market. Westone and UE are the same as well.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Shure is not the only company will non user replaceable filter in the market. Westone and UE are the same as well.

I guess it bothers me more since Shure used to make headphones with replaceable filters or nozzles.  Moving in the direction of adding replaceable cables was one step forward after the huge step back with the SE500 durability. But it's still held back by the fact that you can still easily mess up the nozzle.

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Oh lucky you, you have warranty still.  Wait til your warranty runs out and then you'll really feel anger towards a design with irreplaceable paper filters that clog with earwax and break when attempted to be cleaned.  On a $500 headphone....it just angers me that they chose this route. 

I guess that would (will) make me pretty mad.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back