Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #11,851 of 12,201
On the USB input, I've still found some quality differences depending on what is going into it. Mac Mini Roon server to Yggy? Not as nice as a good streamer with a higher-quality USB, S/PDIF or AES output. Ditto on the Bifrost 2/64. The sound direct from the Mini is always a bit harsher and less refined.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #11,852 of 12,201
On the USB input, I've still found some quality differences depending on what is going into it. Mac Mini Roon server to Yggy? Not as nice as a good streamer with a higher-quality USB, S/PDIF or AES output. Ditto on the Bifrost 2/64. The sound direct from the Mini is always a bit harsher and less refined.
What do you think of the unison connection between Urd and Yggy+ unison?

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #11,853 of 12,201
In my attempts, I found AES/BNC best, followed by coax, then usb for Yggy. For Bifrost 2, I ended up going custom made BNC to coax by blue jeans cable, at the recommendation of Michael Kelly at Pi2design.

Feb 9, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #11,854 of 12,201
Anyone use a Yggy as their primary DAC/output source from a PC for all audio (music and general gaming/pc use)? Was thinking of running one from USB out and to a V281 and a pair of powered monitors. My only concern is I’m unclear if the relay mute (click) would be triggered between any and all audio sounds or if I set the bitrate out to the highest I run even my music, it should stay locked at one rate. Between running apps with sound will it continue to click each time something new starts or only if the bitrate changes?

Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn’t find that scenario while searching the thread.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #11,856 of 12,201
Thanks for sharing your impression! Have you tried both SE and XLR outs? My amp v281 really has only SE inputs. There are XLR inputs, but they are re-routed to SEs - so it's really just SE inputs, (actually XLR input actually sounds slightly worse to my ears because XLRs go through conversion). I'm thinking Yggy+ GS2 to use with v281, so I'm very curious if SE outputs are not as good as XLR outputs. Thanks!
I tried with very short SE cables and balanced cables from a Yggy A1 to a V222 (similar to yours V281) and could not tell a difference when volume matched. Since the Yggy is a balanced DAC it's between having the balanced to SE conversion in the DAC or in the V281. Unless you run very short cables balanced is probably the best option (unless there is some issue with the balanced to SE conversion in the V281).

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #11,857 of 12,201
Anyone use a Yggy as their primary DAC/output source from a PC for all audio (music and general gaming/pc use)? Was thinking of running one from USB out and to a V281 and a pair of powered monitors. My only concern is I’m unclear if the relay mute (click) would be triggered between any and all audio sounds or if I set the bitrate out to the highest I run even my music, it should stay locked at one rate. Between running apps with sound will it continue to click each time something new starts or only if the bitrate changes?

Sorry if this has been asked, I couldn’t find that scenario while searching the thread.
I had a Yggy A1 connected to my computer and I from what I remember the relay clicked only when the rate changes but I could be wrong. I was using Audirvana and keeping music on its original rate always sounded better on the Yggy, Schiit's closed-form filter is very good. And even if you wanted to upsample music in the computer it would be better to do it by a power of 2, therefore, there would be clicks when changing from 176.4 to 192 kHz.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #11,858 of 12,201
I had a Yggy A1 connected to my computer and I from what I remember the relay clicked only when the rate changes but I could be wrong. I was using Audirvana and keeping music on its original rate always sounded better on the Yggy, Schiit's closed-form filter is very good. And even if you wanted to upsample music in the computer it would be better to do it by a power of 2, therefore, there would be clicks when changing from 176.4 to 192 kHz.
Yes the clicks are still present on the A2 whenever the bit rate changes, but they don’t transmit into the speaker/ headphone output. Schiit knows this occurs and it’s part of the mechanism, it’s not an error or fault.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #11,859 of 12,201
So some further commentary on the GS2...

1. I'm in the club house for the next couple of years with the Yggdrasil+ chassis with Unison (I hope) with the option to update to LIM, MIB, or whatever iterations develop.
2. IMO, the GS2 is simply more nuanced than the Bifrost 2/64 and, for those that can afford it, a tremendous value.
3. For those that can't afford the GS2, the Bifrost 2/64 is a hell of a DAC. I could have taken the price differential with the Bifrost 2/64 and invested the funds elsewhere in my system with arguably greater results, but the heart wants what the heart wants.
4. For those that can't afford the Bifrost 2/64, the Modi MB will get you in the ballpark at a ridiculous value. I was there ~ 10 years ago. The price to performance ratio with these DACs are not linear. You pay significantly more for incremental improvements above a certain baseline.
5. If you have the means, I would reach for the GS2 if you are chasing the dragon. Otherwise, I would be more than content with either the Bifrost 2/64 or Modi MB.

...I am in my early 50's and find myself reaching back more than forward with respect to music. Playing my favorite songs that have indexed particular parts of my life in the best possible light is my purpose and intent with this hobby. I have a family to support and purchases have to be within reason.

Roon is on shuffle and a Patty Griffin tune just came on that I played relentlessly on drives to work in my early 20's. It's like listening to the track for the first time. If this feels familiar to you, highly recommended.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #11,861 of 12,201
I am glad I picked up my Yggy+ OG last month. They are no longer available on the Schiit web page. Jason stated once they were gone they are gone and now they are gone.
Yeah I saw that I had procrastinated too long, so instead I'm doing the yggy+ chassis upgrade to my A2/Unison. I really enjoy my Yggy so I figure it is worth sending in to get the yggy+ upgrade and an additional couple years warranty. Actually just got the email today with the upgrade RA# and where to send it.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #11,862 of 12,201
Yeah I saw that I had procrastinated too long, so instead I'm doing the yggy+ chassis upgrade to my A2/Unison. I really enjoy my Yggy so I figure it is worth sending in to get the yggy+ upgrade and an additional couple years warranty. Actually just got the email today with the upgrade RA# and where to send it.
Wow... that's the end of an era. I do love my OG. Maybe with the next round of G2 they will have some OG boards to install. I keep watching for when the MIB Boards will be available as an upgrade (I don't want to get rid of my OG board, but I'd like to hear the difference to decide which I like best). They estimated in December that the MIB upgrade boards would be available in a month, and it's been 2 and 1/2, but they are prioritizing getting amp production sufficient for demand, and get the first production run of Aegir 2 completed so they can make that available by the end of the month (see
"Jason's Law" on the main Schiit thread). MIB (and other) board upgrades will just have to wait.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #11,863 of 12,201
Yep, I am keen to hear the new DACs for myself both LIM and MIB - but I am going to be biased because the OG is something unique and special and lends itself synergy wise to a wide selection of amplifiers and headphones. It's a real toe-tapper, for me.

Feb 14, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #11,864 of 12,201
I am glad I picked up my Yggy+ OG last month. They are no longer available on the Schiit web page. Jason stated once they were gone they are gone and now they are gone.
If I am right - there are still units (both black an silver) of Yggy OG 230V at europe site: https://www.schiit-europe.com/

Feb 14, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #11,865 of 12,201
And just my luck I was finally able to grab a new DAC at the end of this week and it's gone :upside_down:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back