Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #11,839 of 12,334
I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between USB and AES inputs on my Yggdrasil OG. If I were going to pick out one of the inputs as different from the rest, it would be the Toslink input.
In my case, on this pipeline:

Urd > Yggy+ OG > Kara

where the Urd has both Unison out to Yggy as well as AES, the Unison connection is clearer with better instrument separation.

YMMV.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #11,840 of 12,334
Just to reverberate, AES is the best input on the Yggy.

USB vs AES comparison done via my Auralic Aries G2.
Not in my case.

When I tried a quality coax cable, I ended up preferring coax over AES.

And, I was expecting to still prefer AES, so was even slightly biased haha.

I use a Pi2AES 2.0, so a very high quality, well-engineered source.

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #11,841 of 12,334
Friend of mine recently acquired a Yggdrasil DAC to compare against my Denafrips Pontus. We conducted blind A/B tests, alternating between the two using a switch box while the other listened critically.

I correctly identified the DACs about 90% of the time; my friend scored around 75% accuracy. Our precision improved with critical listening experience over time. To eliminate bias, we sometimes repeated the same DAC consecutively.

The Pontus rendered vocals with superior edge definition and a more forward presence. It also exhibited greater body in the midbass region. However, the Yggdrasil conversely retrieved minute low-level information in the deepest sub-bass with aplomb. Additionally, the Yggdrasil projected a marginally more expansive soundstage.

I don't think there is a winner here.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    768.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #11,842 of 12,334
Friend of mine recently acquired a Yggdrasil DAC to compare against my Denafrips Pontus. We conducted blind A/B tests, alternating between the two using a switch box while the other listened critically.

I correctly identified the DACs about 90% of the time; my friend scored around 75% accuracy. Our precision improved with critical listening experience over time. To eliminate bias, we sometimes repeated the same DAC consecutively.

The Pontus rendered vocals with superior edge definition and a more forward presence. It also exhibited greater body in the midbass region. However, the Yggdrasil conversely retrieved minute low-level information in the deepest sub-bass with aplomb. Additionally, the Yggdrasil projected a marginally more expansive soundstage.
Which version of Yggdrasil was it?
There’s a notable difference between the different variations.

I don't think there is a winner here.
Agreed. At this level, it’s all about preference as opposed to “objectively better.” :)

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #11,843 of 12,334
Which version of Yggdrasil was it?
There’s a notable difference between the different variations.

Agreed. At this level, it’s all about preference as opposed to “objectively better.” :)
Yggy was A2, OG, unison.
Pontus was the 2 (non-12th) with most updated software.

Which Yggy is most preferred here?

Feb 5, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #11,844 of 12,334
Btw, I hope that the Yggy OG had been powered on for at least a couple days prior to this shootout. Thermal equilibrium is essential for the OG boards, and it can take a while to “warm up.”

Which Yggy is most preferred here?
Again, all about personal preference and system synergy.

Some will prefer the Less Is More with their system, while another may prefer the slightly less refined, more energetic A2.

Then there is the new More Is Better flavor which I’ve heard is more neutral and technical (while still being an Yggy.)

So, you’re not going to get an objective answer, only opinions from random people on the internet (such as myself.) :D

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #11,845 of 12,334
Btw, I hope that the Yggy OG had been powered on for at least a couple days prior to this shootout. Thermal equilibrium is essential for the OG boards, and it can take a while to “warm up.”

Both dacs have the same warm-up requirement, so both were turned off and left on for a few hours.

My friend could only tell the difference between these two amps reliably 75% of the time and that might even be generous. He could not determine if he liked one over the other. I seem to be more accurate in my ability to tell them apart, I'm not sure if that's from my experience or better hearing.

I think you're having the wrong take away from my review.

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #11,846 of 12,334
Both dacs have the same warm-up requirement, so both were turned off and left on for a few hours.
Ah, this is not an accurate comparison, then. The Yggy OG requires much more than a few hours to warm up and sound its best.
If you search through this thread, you will find countless examples of people talking about warm-up being days, not hours long.

I think you're having the wrong take away from my review.
I was simply replying to your question on which flavor of Yggy is preferred (response: there is no objective preference; just different strokes for different folks).
So, I'm sure what you mean by me having the wrong take away?

I do suggest that, in order to have a more accurate comparison, you listen again but with this time with the Yggy having not been shut down for days.
It makes that much of a difference in sound quality with the OG. Not saying your overall opinion will change, but your experience will be more representative.

tl;dr - I'm only commenting on your test procedure and answering your questions. I'm not at all critiquing your opinions/review. :)

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #11,847 of 12,334
My thoughts on my Yggy + GS2. Today is Monday, I received the Yggy last Wednesday, and listened to it about 3 hours after turning it on. It was a noticeable upgrade to my Bifrost 2/64. I went to bed a happy man. Woke-up on Thursday, and oh my gosh. Almost like a different dac. Much warmer than the day before. I enjoyed it for long listening sessions throughout the day. Well done Schiit! Woke up on Friday, and thought "oh my gosh, this is very warm sounding". I again had a couple long listening sessions throughout the day and I was disappointed in some tracks. Just way too much loose, bloated bass for me. I thought, is this the amount of bass that most head-fiers like? Is that what Mike Moffat tuned these to? This sometimes sounds like ass! Woke-up on Saturday, and YES!!!!!! Detailed, warm (but just right), 3D soundstage, and all around greatness. My original expectations have been exceeded. All my headphones sound new to me. I've picked-up things on well known tracks that I haven't heard after years of listening to them. Maybe one day I'll upgrade the Analog 1 board, but I could live with what I have indefinitely.....

Leo

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks for sharing your impression! Have you tried both SE and XLR outs? My amp v281 really has only SE inputs. There are XLR inputs, but they are re-routed to SEs - so it's really just SE inputs, (actually XLR input actually sounds slightly worse to my ears because XLRs go through conversion). I'm thinking Yggy+ GS2 to use with v281, so I'm very curious if SE outputs are not as good as XLR outputs. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #11,848 of 12,334
Thanks for sharing your impression! Have you tried both SE and XLR outs? My amp v281 really has only SE inputs. There are XLR inputs, but they are re-routed to SEs - so it's really just SE inputs, (actually XLR input actually sounds slightly worse to my ears because XLRs go through conversion). I'm thinking Yggy+ GS2 to use with v281, so I'm very curious if SE outputs are not as good as XLR outputs. Thanks!
Jason S from Schiit states the the se outputs sum the balanced outputs so there should not be extra noise introduced. I tried the Jensen SE->XLR converter from Yggy+ OG into my Burson 3XGT and found the upper treble shouty - the OG’s SE outputs were better ‘unconverted’ (YMMV). Many report that the OG’s SE outputs are ‘gimped’ but I have never heard what they refer to other than a slight volume drop moving from XLR to SE. Having said all that, there is reportedly much less difference between XLR and SE on the LIM and MIB versions - but as I dont have those I can’t speak to that authoritatively.

Feb 7, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #11,849 of 12,334
Yggy (all versions), SE out are fine.

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #11,850 of 12,334
Jason S from Schiit states the the se outputs sum the balanced outputs so there should not be extra noise introduced. I tried the Jensen SE->XLR converter from Yggy+ OG into my Burson 3XGT and found the upper treble shouty - the OG’s SE outputs were better ‘unconverted’ (YMMV). Many report that the OG’s SE outputs are ‘gimped’ but I have never heard what they refer to other than a slight volume drop moving from XLR to SE. Having said all that, there is reportedly much less difference between XLR and SE on the LIM and MIB versions - but as I dont have those I can’t speak to that authoritatively.

+1

A perpetuated myth based on a certain site's opinion. Ironically, the LIM and MIB use op amps and not a discrete analog out. Theoretically this should be sonically inferior because, ya know, op amps suck right?

Goes to show there are no absolute truths in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back