Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #11,192 of 12,283
Had a weird issue with my yiggy a2..it's getting detected (aes and usb) but no output to speaker or headphone.

Not sure how to go about this.

I was using the very same setup till about yesterday.
Have you tried a re-start of the yggy? turn it off, unplug the power, wait a few minutes and then plug it in and turn it on.

Tried different inputs? different file format? different bit rate settings on your source? Check interconnect cable connections?

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #11,199 of 12,283
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #11,200 of 12,283
The Yggdrasil+ upgrade intrigues me, specifically the slimmer chassis and NOS mode.

It's also great to see that they're clearly not going to deprecate the Yggy anytime soon.

I may have to send mine in at some point.
This "+" model gets a bit confusing, to me anyway, where "NOS mode" is concerned.

From the Schiit website (current and previous iterations of Yggdrasil):
"Yggdrasil’s DSP-based digital filter has a closed-form solution—it retains the original samples, performing a true interpolation. Only this digital filter gives you the best of both NOS and upsampling designs."

So the digital filter used in the Yggdrasil is already providing optimum (i.e. best) non-oversampling (i.e. NOS) and upsampling. According to this wiki article, "upsampling" is distinct/different (albeit related) from "non-oversampling". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversampling

So now, given that the Yggdrasil + "has NOS mode" (source: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...most-improbable-start-up.701900/post-17234398), how can that fact result is something "better" than the already "best of both NOS and upsampling designs"?

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #11,201 of 12,283
yggyplus-silver-front-1920.jpeg
yggyplus-black-front-1920.jpeg
yggyplus-rear-1920-1.jpeg

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6832#post-17234398

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil-18

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #11,202 of 12,283
I bought my Yggdrasil A2/Unison as a pre-owned at a really great price. It is silver. I can live with the silver, but if I had a choice I'd prefer the black. A couple months or so back I emailed Schiit asking if I could buy a new cover, even offered to send my old cover back and not looking for any discounts. They declined stating all covers were spoken for and not for individual sale so I put the thought to rest, until I read about the Yggdrasil+ ...

For myself this is appears to be a great opportunity to get a colorway that I prefer, and also a slimmer & streamlined chassis to boot, sweet! I don't hate the big ole Yggy, but it is disproportionate to a lot of the other gear I have. The real bonus for myself is that I'd get a refresh and once over and also 2yrs warranty where now I have none. Added bonus's would be the remote and also I guess the NOS feature, but from what I've read about NOS in the new BF2 it's probably not something I’ll use personally, but who knows? The other advantage is perhaps with the new chassis design you’d have compatibility with other modular upgrades, although that was a selling point in the OG so that may just be marketing.

In the end, $500+ shipping for a refreshed to be like new again unit, and in the color I would have picked if buying new is attractive to me. Also, it doesn’t hurt that I have other DAC’s so I wouldn't be without while it is away for updating. So pretty sure I'm going to go for it. My only concern is will the firmware changes for NOS mode change the sound as I'm sure it's like upgrading the BF2 - where there is no going back to previous firmware.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #11,203 of 12,283
@Delta9K

"My only concern is will the firmware changes for NOS mode change the sound as I'm sure it's like upgrading the BF2 - where there is no going back to previous firmware."

True that. To me, my current Yggy configuration (OG/B minus Unison USB) is "exactly perfect" (I primarily listen to Grateful Dead). And, truth be told, one does not know how the new firmware/hardware will "sound" until they've had it in their own system and evaluated it with their own ears.

Personally, I am going to wait until additional "reviews" surface regarding the "+" or if my Yggy (already out of warranty) "dies", in which case I'll just immediately purchase another. And at that time, who knows what the other version/features will be?

As to the remote, that, IMO, is pointless. On the other hand, if Schiit introduced a universal (to Schiit) remote that functioned for all of their components (for example, loki max and yggy), then I suppose it would be time to quote the great Sir Paul Paul McCartney, "That Would Be Something".

:musical_note:

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #11,204 of 12,283

Users who are viewing this thread

Back