Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 6, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #9,241 of 12,283
I'll paraphrase Michel Foucault: There is no such thing as objective "truth"; for "truth" to exist it must be perceived by humans, and all human perception is subjective.

Oct 6, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #9,242 of 12,283
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #9,243 of 12,283
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #9,244 of 12,283

If we are going there, try this perspective, it aline's with my own.:yin_yang::star_and_crescent::cross::star_of_david::peace::six_pointed_star::orthodox_cross:

"According to the configuration space interpretation of quantum mechanics, the world of our perception is just a projection of an incredibly high dimensional configuration space. Again, this interpretation of quantum mechanics is realist in that the space of all configurations has its existence and properties quite independent from our observations. But once again, this configuration space is perceptually inaccessible to us — we can only see the effects it has within our much smaller three-dimensional space. The upshot, as before, is that if you really believe quantum mechanics, then you believe that the physical world outruns our perceptions of it."

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/...hanics-suggest-about-our-perceptions-reality/

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #9,245 of 12,283
Not to screw with the truth argument, but I have something that I found pretty interesting to share. I have done quite a lot of upgrading of late. The ONE thing that just keeps getting better as my system improves is the Yggdrasil. I certainly can't say that there is nothing better out there, but the Yggdrasil is absolutely awesome. I have completely replaced everything with a semiconductor in the audio path because it's pretty difficult it seems to build truly good sounding semiconductor based components. How Schitt Audio has not only surmounted that, but also made one of the best DACs there is amazes me. Now obviously since Schiit Audio has made a good sounding SS component necessary means that it can be done, and I plan to swap out the audio path resistors for some Vishay Z Foil TX2575s just to see if that clears up the, what I call, haze that I am hearing from one of my SS amps, it already has soft recovery rectifiers, Black Gate caps in the audio path, and Roderstine Resista resistors, and up against most amps in most systems, it sounds pretty good, but I went to full range drivers, and the lack of a crossover is a true revelation. I also upgraded to Don Sachs' DS2 preamp, and frankly with a good tube amplifier I have never heard anything as realistic sounding. As I said, since the Yggdrasil is still kickin tail, well designed SS gear should theoretically be able to compete, but so far, only the Yggdrasil has measured up. What a DAC!

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #9,246 of 12,283
Not to screw with the truth argument, but I have something that I found pretty interesting to share. I have done quite a lot of upgrading of late. The ONE thing that just keeps getting better as my system improves is the Yggdrasil. I certainly can't say that there is nothing better out there, but the Yggdrasil is absolutely awesome. I have completely replaced everything with a semiconductor in the audio path because it's pretty difficult it seems to build truly good sounding semiconductor based components. How Schitt Audio has not only surmounted that, but also made one of the best DACs there is amazes me. Now obviously since Schiit Audio has made a good sounding SS component necessary means that it can be done, and I plan to swap out the audio path resistors for some Vishay Z Foil TX2575s just to see if that clears up the, what I call, haze that I am hearing from one of my SS amps, it already has soft recovery rectifiers, Black Gate caps in the audio path, and Roderstine Resista resistors, and up against most amps in most systems, it sounds pretty good, but I went to full range drivers, and the lack of a crossover is a true revelation. I also upgraded to Don Sachs' DS2 preamp, and frankly with a good tube amplifier I have never heard anything as realistic sounding. As I said, since the Yggdrasil is still kickin tail, well designed SS gear should theoretically be able to compete, but so far, only the Yggdrasil has measured up. What a DAC!
‘Truth’ is a seminal album by Jeff Beck .

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #9,247 of 12,283
‘Truth’ is a seminal album by Jeff Beck .

LouS
Great to hear how happy you are with your Yggdrasil set up.
I also love my A2 Yggy.
I had never heard of the preamp you are using, but it clearly works for you, which in the end, is all that matters!
I run my system without a preamp.
I tried a Freya but only liked it in JFET buffer mode. Passive sounded lifeless and tube mode just didn’t work for me. I know some love it.
I was interested in your comments about removing as much solid state circuitry as possible from the signal chain including crossovers.
We probably share some similar views but have ended up with entirely different Yggy-based solutions!
The common theme is the Yggy...
I have eliminated a preamp and the Yggy A2 seems to be even better at driving my active speakers than the original possibly due to the redesigned output stage.
As I use active speakers, the crossovers are applied before the three built-in power amps.
This is the theory ( according to ATC) of why they work better than passive crossovers:
http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/active-amplification/
All I know is I would never go back to passive speakers and I’ll probably continue without a preamp until I am tempted with Mike’s new CD Transport!

Oct 7, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #9,248 of 12,283
@Les Strat What are you using to control the volume?

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #9,249 of 12,283
@Les Strat What are you using to control the volume?
My digital source is a Logitech Transporter.
This has a digital volume control.
I know lots of ‘audiophiles’ hate these, as simplistically, they ‘throw away bits’ as volume is reduced.
I fitted fixed, balanced attenuators to my active speakers so that at ‘normal’ listening levels I only need about -15dB volume reduction.
I’m convinced that there is no lack of resolution at this level; I think it sounds better than with volume set at 100% and Freya preamp JFET inserted.
I may have misunderstood, but I think that the digital volume control results in a loss of around 1 bit per 6dB of reduction in volume. I certainly can’t tell any difference at -15dB.
I believe the output stage of the Yggy A2 is very similar to the JFET buffer mode in Freya ( which was the only mode I liked).
Someone on the forum will probably know the detail.
I rarely take the volume up to 0dB (max) as the ATCs can produce deafening SPLs with very little distortion.The fixed attenuators are also there to protect my ears, as it can be tempting,after a whisky or two, to crank the volume up to 11!
If I get a new CD transport I’ll need a preamp unless I run it through the Logitech’s internal DAC which seems a mad idea as I have the Iggy A2!
I know of one Logitech Transporter owner who also runs ATC SCM 100ASLs. He used an ATC SCA2 preamp which costs over £5k!
When he tried the Transporter straight into the ATCs with no preamp, there was no difference in sound quality.
Fortunately for me, the Yggy A2 has a very well designed balanced output stage with low impedance, which makes it ideal for driving ‘pro’ gear such as the ATCs.
All in all, the Yggy is a fantastic piece of kit and in A2 guise, definitely the best DAC I’ve heard.
It certainly gets plenty of use!

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #9,250 of 12,283
Mike Moffat posted back in May this year ( #7737) that he might create a digital preamp. Extract below:

'So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well...'

That would be cool :).

I could be buying a new CD transport and a digital preamp from Schiit...

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #9,251 of 12,283
Mike Moffat posted back in May this year ( #7737) that he might create a digital preamp. Extract below:

'So my next wet dream is (how do you describe it??) a digital preamp or a “Swiss Army Knife”. This would have every common socket at the input, such as USB, coax, etc. Maybe BitWordData (BWD) to hook up with a transport. It would have at least coax and maybe BWD out as well. It would be mandatory that we have De-Jitter/re-clocking as well...'

That would be cool :).

I could be buying a new CD transport and a digital preamp from Schiit...

Oh hell ya! :ksc75smile: Heimdall?

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #9,253 of 12,283
If we are going there, try this perspective, it aline's with my own.:yin_yang::star_and_crescent::cross::star_of_david::peace::six_pointed_star::orthodox_cross:

"According to the configuration space interpretation of quantum mechanics, the world of our perception is just a projection of an incredibly high dimensional configuration space. Again, this interpretation of quantum mechanics is realist in that the space of all configurations has its existence and properties quite independent from our observations. But once again, this configuration space is perceptually inaccessible to us — we can only see the effects it has within our much smaller three-dimensional space. The upshot, as before, is that if you really believe quantum mechanics, then you believe that the physical world outruns our perceptions of it."

You lost me there ohms.. :)

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #9,254 of 12,283
Just bought a Yggy, will upgrade to A2, Currently use a Mutec MC3+ USB with my old Eastern Electric Minimax dac through AES/EBU. Is the Mutec now obsolete? I have heard many owners use something called Singxer and focusrite rednet3. What is the Optimal way to enhance a Yggy? I feel upgrade Crazy for some reason. using Speakers and headphones, Amp is a Cary Tube amp

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #9,255 of 12,283
I take it you bought a used Yggy A1 then?.... Cos if you bought a new one directly from Schiit, it will already be an A2 revision - no need to upgrade.
I too have used various decrapifiers, magical black boxes, high-tech converters, expensive USB cables, etc. to improve the sound of USB, and you know what works best? .... Don't use USB! :laughing:

Seriously though, at this point I think the best performing options for getting audio out from a PC directly to the DAC are to use either (a) a professional quality sound card (Lynx, RME, etc. --- that preferably has AES/EBU output) or (b) Audio Over IP (AOIP --- Rednet).

I use option (a) in my setup and it is a clear step up in overall transparency of sound compared to when I was using USB. I'm certainly not left wanting for anything more at this point.
FWIW the Mutec MC3+ USB that you have is an excellent converter and if you're limited to using a USB only solution, then I'd just go with it and be happy.

The sky is the limit in this hobby, but sometimes you just need to put an actual limit on it.... at least for your own sanity :hugging:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back