Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #9,271 of 12,304
Ha. That CD player makes the Yggdrasil look small.

Adorable! :wink:

P_20180925_161103_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Oct 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #9,272 of 12,304
Yggy Analog 2 burn-in update:
Two weeks and a day into the burn-in. Just switched my best tubes back into my amp as I didn't want to put all those burn-in hours on them.
Here's the deal from my humble perspective. You need to do this upgrade. No-brainer. And I'm not sure I'm even totally there yet. From all I've read it seems that 3 weeks is the magic number as to full burn-in...but I'd be more than happy if this was as good as it gets. Marked overall improvement to my ears over the original yggy...which I absolutely loved.
The Analog 2 is able to expose the essence of each instrument to, in my case, a much higher and easily discernable degree (and I'm just strictly listening on headphones...I'm sure this is enhanced on a great speaker system). Subtle harmonics, degree of resonance, overall timbre and sense of "size" are all markedly better. You can feel the music breathe. Sound is 'rounder' and more full-bodied...MUCH more dimensional than before. In a nutshell, more real. Each note carries more information than before, sometimes to an amazing degree. I'm not talking about the old "hearing things I never heard before" (although there is that) but more "hearing things LIKE I never heard before". Where it really shines is in busier, complex passages. It manages to maintain the autonomy of each instrument even in very tight quarters instead of smearing or losing focus.
I read this and it completely summarizes what I'm hearing...and it's put better than I could write it:

"One of the qualities that makes the Yggy special is its ability to reveal, with startling clarity, individual musical lines within complex arrangements. Every instrument, voice, and sound is spatially and timbrally distinct. This had the effect of revealing each musical line with great precision, and with that precision comes a fuller, richer, and more complex presentation of the composition and arrangement, as well as the intent of each musician. The Yggy is the antithesis of congealed, homogenized, flat, confused, or thick. Many years ago I described the soundstage of a Theta DAC as “sculpted.” That description applies to the Yggy as well, but in the Yggy the three-dimensionality and vividness that allow resolution of each musical line are rendered with greater naturalness and ease. The Theta processors could sound a bit artificial and overly “Technicolored” in this regard, but the Yggy presents this tremendous clarity and dimensionality in a completely organic and musically natural way."

I know I'm not telling any of you who've already done the upgrade anything you don't already know. But for you who may still be hesitating, pull the friggin' trigger. You will never look back.
I was going to write a similar post now that mine has a couple of weeks on it, but I no longer feel the need. Your post nails it and describes my thoughts better that I probably would have.

There are two things that are jumping out at me now vs. my old A1 as major improvements: Imaging (which is much more stable and now produces a larger sweet spot), and realism of timbre (which you described very well in your post). Talking about better detail and tone seems redundant because all of those things are what contributes to a realistic timbre.

Money well spent.

Oct 18, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #9,273 of 12,304
I was going to write a similar post now that mine has a couple of weeks on it, but I no longer feel the need. Your post nails it and describes my thoughts better that I probably would have.

There are two things that are jumping out at me now vs. my old A1 as major improvements: Imaging (which is much more stable and now produces a larger sweet spot), and realism of timbre (which you described very well in your post). Talking about better detail and tone seems redundant because all of those things are what contributes to a realistic timbre.

Money well spent.

Great to read people talking about actually listening to music and noticing realistic timbre, texture, touch.

So much ink is wasted on HeadFi with the same old f/r bass-midrange-treble talk (especially headphone reviews).

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #9,274 of 12,304
Listening to the Darko RMAF interview with Jason & Mike, it doesn't sound like a CD transport is close, but the vinyl tt and an excellent USB interface are.

Thanks for the update.
Looks like I'll be getting either a Cambridge CXC CD transport or a big, used, CD player like a Sony, or Philips ....
New probably makes more sense. CXC is £299 in UK.
It also means I'll need a preamp, which means that going back to the future and ditching streaming, will cost a few quid :L3000:
One thing's for sure, the Yggy A2 is staying :beyersmile:

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #9,275 of 12,304
Hey Mister Stratocaster,

Get a MAC Mini (Ebay) and streaming is a piece of cake...pair it up with Roon and you'll never touch analog again! Looks like I gotta make an appt to send my Yggy in for Analog 2!

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #9,276 of 12,304
Hey Mister Stratocaster,

Get a MAC Mini (Ebay) and streaming is a piece of cake...pair it up with Roon and you'll never touch analog again! Looks like I gotta make an appt to send my Yggy in for Analog 2!

Cheers!

Hi Mr Magoo
Thanks very much for the advice.
I am an easily confused, simple music fan. Hi-Fi kit is just a means to an end for me. One thing I am sure about though -you do need the Yggy A2 upgrade.:dt880smile:
Cheers,

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #9,277 of 12,304
My A2 has been on 4 weeks now. I have mentioned before I'm on speakers and CD based the cxc transport is truly excellent! This combination of Trans and DAC is way up the ladder of any stand alone state of the art CD player. I could go through all the adjectives everyone else has but will just agree with their descriptions with the upgrade.
Yes I to stream but it's not as "real" as the CD. Waiting on Quobuz here in the states.

Now we will have a new USB upgrade to contend with.$$$$

Enjoying the hell out of all this!!

Oct 19, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #9,279 of 12,304
I also just got a CXC. Still superior to any usb-laptop connection but you give up the convenience of streaming of course.

A DAP with Coax output will give you that superior sound along with streaming of course

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #9,281 of 12,304
Ha ha.
What is that CD player? I can't quite make it out on the picture, but it looks like a seriously well-engineered bit of kit!
What output do you use for Yggy?
I'm going back to CDs as well.
It means I'll need to get all my CDs out of their boxes and occasionally get out of my chair to change CDs...
The sacrifices we make to enjoy music :smile_phones:
Vinyl is a step too far for me though.
I hope Mike's new CD Transport will be launched soon, otherwise I'll have to buy one from somewhere else!
You could say I'm a pretty strong believer in all of Mike's digital Schiit!

I could not wait the 1 year+ a new transport will take, and TEAC manufactures arguably the best transports in the world. Schiit will have to buy theirs and will not be of this quality, the price would be too high.
A new version of mine is 7.5k:astonished:

It's a TEAC Esoteric DV-50s cira 2004. It plays CD, SACD DVD-A.
I bought it primarily for a CD transport for Yggy, but since I use Yggy in 2 systems I needed a standalone player for my living room.
I got a good deal considering what it is, in 2008 it had $1750 in service and a Signature mod from The Upgrade Company.
It sounds great until you compare it to Yggdrasil :ksc75smile:

I use a DH labs D-750 coax to BNC cable to connect them, I also have the same cable in coax to coax and cannot tell the difference in inputs.
I think it's predominantly the source that matters, it is nice to shut the PC down and just listen:)

My wife is not a computer person, she wanted to just play a CD, so why not use this for more gear:smiling_imp:

I have a Denon DCD 2560 and have used it as a transport, but it's old and replacement lasers are hardly available.
It sounds good but not as good, and it will not read every disc, the TEAC seems to read everything.

I will most probably get a Schiit transport when they come out, my Denon will die someday soon.
I know a guy who works on them, he claims I'm lucky it still works. He has lasers but not worth it to me.

I looked at Cambridge transport and players, not the cheap ones, but not a good fit for me.
They do have some reported long term breakdown issues I found in my research.
I almost bought a CXC anyway, but I wanted more than just a transport.

Yes I to stream but it's not as "real" as the CD.

The difference between Tidal streaming in Masters 24/96 MQA or regular HiFi and a plain old redbook CD is profound in my setup.
Edit: CD wins convincingly.
I will keep Tidal for now because of convenience and discovery of new music to check out before buying the CD.

It weighs more than most of my amps 47 lbs, 72 lbs combined!

72 lb frontend.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #9,282 of 12,304
I could not wait the 1 year+ a new transport will take, and TEAC manufactures arguably the best transports in the world. Schiit will have to buy theirs and will not be of this quality, the price would be too high.
A new version of mine is 7.5k:astonished:

It's a TEAC Esoteric DV-50s cira 2004. It plays CD, SACD DVD-A.
I bought it primarily for a CD transport for Yggy, but since I use Yggy in 2 systems I needed a standalone player for my living room.
I got a good deal considering what it is, in 2008 it had $1750 in service and a Signature mod from The Upgrade Company.
It sound great until you compare it to Yggdrasil :ksc75smile:

I use a DH labs D-750 coax to BNC cable to connect them, I also have the same cable in coax to coax and cannot tell the difference in inputs.
I think it's predominantly the source that matters, it is nice to shut the PC down and just listen:)

My wife is not a computer person, she wanted to just play a CD, so why not use this for more gear:smiling_imp:

I have a Denon 2560 and have used it as a transport, but it's old and replacement lasers are hardly available.
It sounds good but not as good, and it will not read every disc, the TEAC seems to read everything.

I will most probably get a Schiit transport when they come out, my Denon will die someday soon.
I know a guy who works on them, he claims I'm lucky it still works. He has lasers but not worth it to me.

I looked at Cambridge transport and players, not the cheap ones, but not a good fit for me.
They do have some reported long term breakdown issues I found in my research.
I almost bought a CXC anyway, but I wanted more than just a transport.

The difference between Tidal streaming in Masters 24/96 MQA or regular HiFi and a plain old redbook CD is profound in my setup.
I will keep Tidal for now because of convenience and discovery of new music to check out before buying the CD.

It weighs more than most of my amps 47 lbs, 72 lbs combined!

Is Redbook better than Tidal streaming in Masters 24/96?
I wasn't sure whether the 'profound' difference was for or against CD...:)
Tidal does sound like a good way of discovering new music, but one real problem of living here in a rural part of the UK is that internet speeds are terrible!

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #9,283 of 12,304
Is Redbook better than Tidal streaming in Masters 24/96?
I wasn't sure whether the 'profound' difference was for or against CD...:)
Tidal does sound like a good way of discovering new music, but one real problem of living here in a rural part of the UK is that internet speeds are terrible!

Yes plain jane Redbook beats streaming. It just sounds more real. I can buy used CDs for .50 to $1.50 all day long you just gotta find them. Amazon has thousands for very good prices.
I'll be trying SACD vs CD, but I suspect Yggy will still win with 16/44.1 PCM from the coax feed vs DSD from the TEAC's xlrs.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #9,284 of 12,304
Yes plain jane Redbook beats streaming. It just sounds more real. I can buy used CDs for .50 to $1.50 all day long you just gotta find them. Amazon has thousands for very good prices.
I'll be trying SACD vs CD, but I suspect Yggy will still win with 16/44.1 PCM from the coax feed vs DSD from the TEAC's xlrs.

Hi 'Finisher'
That's good enough for me! I'm sold on CDs!
I now need to buy a good CD transport and a preamp....
It's timely, as my Logitech Transporter is playing up. It's 10 years old and I think an internal PSU is failing. I'll replace it, but if that doesn't work it's finished, which will be sad.
Couldn't get it to work at all last night, so had to use a back up Logitech Squeezebox Touch, with coax out to Yggy A2.
It sounded pretty poor compared with Transporter BNC into Yggy,, so the 'bits is bits' argument doesn't stand up very well, based on my listening experience!. The Transporter's digital output is obviously far better than the Touch. Even Yggys 'adapticlock' can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear :ksc75smile:
I can get CDs for under £5 in UK. I buy a lot second hand.
I'll be buying a lot more once I get the CD Transport....
I'll probably get a Freya, as I haven't seen another preamp to match it anywhere near the price.
Back to the future :smile_phones:

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #9,285 of 12,304
, so the 'bits is bits' argument doesn't stand up very well, based on my listening experience!.

This myth/reality/technicality has long been murdered for me too. Now, I suspect that DIGITAL itself is not DIGITAL and is some kind of analog that suffers the losses depending on who is sending, how long it is travelling in wires etc..:).

My current understanding based on which I take decision is that clocking is the key and Yggy can make it stable but cannot bring it to right order.

I am saying all these because I too lived with Squeezebox Touch for long thinking 'bits are bits' but when I tried Transporter, I was shocked. After this, I thought why not try Dante and I did and that is what my current chain has. None has been able to beat this.

The other thing that I noticed that if any of your equipment is running on SMPS based power supplies, that too bring in some kind of noise to the system. For that I have replaced all such supplies with linear power supplies.

I have also noticed that any cables too bring in some kind of noise to the system that brings some haziness to the final image and for that wherever possible, I have removed the cables and hooked the devices directly to the source.

usb.JPG
aes.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back