Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #6,691 of 12,283
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #6,693 of 12,283
And to add to the complexity of volume controls…
Several DAC's will include a digital vol control (like the PSA PWD and DirectStream Dac) which technically aren't using a pre-amp, as it is a function of the DAC chips themselves.
If PSA PWD is PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, its webpage says "Player and preamp". Source: http://www.psaudio.com/perfectwave-dac/ Listed under "Overview".

Jan 23, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #6,694 of 12,283
The PS Audio DirectStream is a “pure” DAC that has a volume control. I am sure there are many other examples.
So far this is the only DAC that positions itself as a "pure DAC" with volume control out of those mentioned as examples.

As I see most people who desire volume control in a DAC think that most DACs should be combo units (DAC + preamp/amp). Otherwise, I don't understand why one would want to control volume in the DAC when there is an amplifier for this. Anyway, one can't listen to music from a DAC only - an amplifier is a must.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #6,695 of 12,283
So far this is the only DAC that positions itself as a "pure DAC" with volume control out of those mentioned as examples.

As I see most people who desire volume control in a DAC think that most DACs should be combo units (DAC + preamp/amp). Otherwise, I don't understand why one would want to control volume in the DAC when there is an amplifier for this. Anyway, one can't listen to music from a DAC only - an amplifier is a must.

All Chord DAC amps have a digital volume control and their output stage is not the same as a typical preamp so they are considered "pure DAC" in that sense.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #6,696 of 12,283
is there any way to give this a rest? it's off topic since it's not relevant to the yggy.

this is all semantics . . . . volume control vs pre-amp. you haven't even gotten to active vs passive and types of inputs . . . .

even better -- go create a new thread called "yggy feature wish list" or "volume controls vs pre-amps -- the saga continues"

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #6,697 of 12,283
All Chord DAC amps have a digital volume control and their output stage is not the same as a typical preamp so they are considered "pure DAC" in that sense.

Just to clarify in case there is any confusion on Chord DACs, the Chord 2Qute has a 3 volt fixed output and even the new Chord Qutest has only 3 fixed outputs and they do not have any normal digital volume control.

Glad to hear the topic has moved on from fuses before someone's short fuse got the thread locked. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #6,699 of 12,283
I am looking forward to giving my impression of the differences between the Yggy A as compared to the Yggy B.

For once, an A is a lower grade than a B. :o2smile:

My unit is due to be received Wednesday according to FedEx tracking.

Jan 23, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #6,700 of 12,283
is there any way to give this a rest? it's off topic since it's not relevant to the yggy.

Yes please. I do not think that anyone else wants to split these hairs any longer.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #6,702 of 12,283
Tomorrow for me. I ordered my Yggdrasil in August so believe most of the other changes including USB5 were already in there save for the new Analog 2 upgrade.

Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions but I'm assuming it's the long initial burn-in required again before really being able to compare.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #6,704 of 12,283
I am really shocked at how much is being made out of this.. the heart of the DACs architecture is still the same, I will be extremely skeptical of those that will inevitable come on here claiming that this upgrade transforms the performance of the yggy and it is now the in another class.

I do believe that meaning full progress can be made with improvement to the output boards, but unless there was an overt problem with old ones, the improvement will be subtle.

When I send mine off I am not expecting a new device on return.

I am glad schiit is continuing to support existing units with these updates.

Jan 23, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #6,705 of 12,283
As of today, Schiit has received my analog A Yggdrasil in order to upgrade it to analog B. I've been informed it will be a day or so until checked into service, and then approximately 5 business days before mailed back to me.

During my Yggdrasil's absence, I'm having to use my Oppo UDP-205. As good as the Oppo sounds with its top-of-line Sabre ESS chips, there is no comparison to the overall sound quality and presentation provided by the Yggdrasil. I miss it dearly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back