Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #5,731 of 12,398
Purchased/installed the usb gen5 for my Yggy, but it will not play any 24 bit tracks.
I have a microrendu and Roon.
It will play 24 bit tracks if attached to a laptop.
The Dac diagnostics shows some negotiation issue.

Sent email to Schiit last Sunday and used form on their website, but no email response. Seems odd since support normally replied in 24 hours or less.

since it works with your laptop, the issue is not with the yggy -- it's got to be a setting within roon or your microrendu.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #5,732 of 12,398
since it works with your laptop, the issue is not with the yggy -- it's got to be a setting within roon or your microrendu.
While normally sound logic, that is not always the case. If a vendor sends response that it supports a format it does not other vendor cannot correctly connect. Which in this case seems to be a Schiit issue.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #5,733 of 12,398
While normally sound logic, that is not always the case. If a vendor sends response that it supports a format it does not other vendor cannot correctly connect. Which in this case seems to be a Schiit issue.

i disagree -- you've already proven that the yggy accepts and plays 24 bit music. so if roon or the microrendu have problems, why is that schiit's issue?

edit: my yggy is also a gen 5 usb version. i don't have any problems with 24/192 material with either wasapi or asio. i use an intel nuc as a renderer.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #5,734 of 12,398
i disagree -- you've already proven that the yggy accepts and plays 24 bit music. so if roon or the microrendu have problems, why is that schiit's issue?

edit: my yggy is also a gen 5 usb version. i don't have any problems with 24/192 material with either wasapi or asio. i use an intel nuc as a renderer.

And as you can see from my Sig, I have both a Yggy with Gen 5 USB and a microRendu. Also plays 24/192 files no problem for me. Don't use Roon as it seems a lot for what it is and if I use its subscription model it's effectively charging me to listen to my own music that I already own.

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #5,735 of 12,398
I see Sonore microRendu's listed in so many people's profiles on this thread ...

I'm thinking of getting one to use with my Yggy. I have a guestion does the microRendu need to be turned on all the time like a network switch or can I just turn it on before I need to use it?

I do the same with my NAS, it is mostly in sleep mode until I need to use it

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #5,736 of 12,398
I see Sonore microRendu's listed in so many people's profiles on this thread ...

I'm thinking of getting one to use with my Yggy. I have a guestion does the microRendu need to be turned on all the time like a network switch or can I just turn it on before I need to use it?

I do the same with my NAS, it is mostly in sleep mode until I need to use it
There is no power on/off network switch on the mR/uR.
Aslo, not sure about any other PS, but the UltraCap LPS-1 doesn't have a power on/off switch, so once it's plugged into the wall it's powered on giving continuous power to the mR/uR which doesn't have a power on/off switch either, so both the LPS-1/Rendu are powered on 24/7.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #5,737 of 12,398
You could add a switch upstream of the devices, so you Could turn them off if you wanted to. Not looking for a SQ debate here, just saying there is a way...
There is no power on/off network switch on the mR/uR.
Aslo, not sure about any other PS, but the UltraCap LPS-1 doesn't have a power on/off switch, so once it's plugged into the wall it's powered on giving continuous power to the mR/uR which doesn't have a power on/off switch either, so both the LPS-1/Rendu are powered on 24/7.

Sep 22, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #5,739 of 12,398
And as you can see from my Sig, I have both a Yggy with Gen 5 USB and a microRendu. Also plays 24/192 files no problem for me. Don't use Roon as it seems a lot for what it is and if I use its subscription model it's effectively charging me to listen to my own music that I already own.

I use a Audiobyte Hydra Z for my AES signal from my 12VDC Mac Mini to my Yggy...and it works great and is dead quiet.....I can tell you one thing about Roon....and know that I simply hate monthly subscriptions.....it's worth EVERY Penny! Think of it as another component to your musical enjoyment...it's worth the $500 lifetime subscription that I will soon pay....It's really that superior to other digital file players! It's what iTunes should have been years ago!!!

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #5,743 of 12,398
You are not hearing the Yggy at it's best with that Power Off practice....Just sayin....You shoulda just got a Bimby then....even though that sounds better when warmed up as well!! Besides the Yggy use negligible power at idle... Besides the Yggy does not give off much heat....

Sep 22, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #5,744 of 12,398
Thanks .. but my original question was not about wasting electricity.. it was 'if' the microRendu 'could' be powered down (turned on/off)

I also feel that only a half hour is needed to warm up the Yggy .. it is never more than room temp to my touch ... no matter how long or days of being on

Besides .. I don't hear a difference.. I don't have super human hearing .. no golden ear with me ...

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #5,745 of 12,398
New usb gen 5 board that is part of the upgrade concept for the yggy is not compatible after upgrade with microrendu and Roon.
24 bit track just skip. If you get a new yggy that come with the gen 5 usb board and you have Roon and microrendu can you update this thread if it is working with 24 bit tracks.

Thank you. Very frustrated with lack of support so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back