Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 22, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #5,746 of 12,319
Did you see this post?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-383#post-13738300
New usb gen 5 board that is part of the upgrade concept for the yggy is not compatible after upgrade with microrendu and Roon.
24 bit track just skip. If you get a new yggy that come with the gen 5 usb board and you have Roon and microrendu can you update this thread if it is working with 24 bit tracks.

Thank you. Very frustrated with lack of support so far.
Have you tried just microrendu without ROON?

Sep 22, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #5,748 of 12,319
It looks like there are many different modes of output, you'd think one of them might work. But I don't have one of these devices so don't really know what is needed.

• Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
  • Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.
  • Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:
    Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPNP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
    Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with a SMB mount. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
    Mode #3c - Songcast Output - This output accepts streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application is in Beta form.
  • Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
  • Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
  • Mode #6 - Spotify Connect Output - This output can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. This application is based on librespot - an open source client library for Spotify. The application is in Beta form.

bearFNF,

Good troubleshooting idea, but I’m not having another option that can stream 24 bit to mR right now.
USB 3 worked and usb 5 doesn’t. Nothing changed on Roon or mR. Simple conclusion.

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #5,749 of 12,319
New usb gen 5 board that is part of the upgrade concept for the yggy is not compatible after upgrade with microrendu and Roon.
24 bit track just skip. If you get a new yggy that come with the gen 5 usb board and you have Roon and microrendu can you update this thread if it is working with 24 bit tracks.

Thank you. Very frustrated with lack of support so far.
I have an Gen5 Gungnir Multibit with Roon and microRendu. It works just like it did with Gen 2 Bifrost and previous Gumby. Just tried an ALAC 96/24 of Graceland with no hiccups.

Sep 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #5,752 of 12,319
The gen5 card is different between yggy and Gumby.
I am already at 2.5 on mR.
There were a few early reports in other forums that the initial Eitr firmware advertised incorrectly that it could take 32 bit audio. I've also seen Roon logs for an Yggy Gen 5 elsewhere where that was the case. Some of those people were able to force their software to send only up to 24 bits, and the problem went away. I don't know how whether the mR allows you to do that (I have one, but still on 2.3 and not connected at the moment).

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #5,753 of 12,319
That is what Jesus with microRenu said. It was saying it could do 32 bit when it could not.
He emailed me and now I have to force the stream to only do 24 bit using squeezlite. Luckily I had upgraded to 2.5. Or I would have to send the usb back.

It is working now, but the image of microrendu does not show any longer in Roon on the progress play bar.

Schiit never responded back to my emails. They must be aware of this affecting other customers.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5,754 of 12,319
That is what Jesus with microRenu said. It was saying it could do 32 bit when it could not.
He emailed me and now I have to force the stream to only do 24 bit using squeezlite. Luckily I had upgraded to 2.5. Or I would have to send the usb back.

It is working now, but the image of microrendu does not show any longer in Roon on the progress play bar.

Schiit never responded back to my emails. They must be aware of this affecting other customers.
  1. I read elsewhere that there was an early firmware change on the Eitr to fix the 32 bit advertisement problem. I do not know if that was an issue also with early Gen 5 cards. Just checked Roon logs for my Eitr (connected to an Allo USBridge running DietPi), and it only advertises formats up to 24 bits.
  2. It's arguably wrong for the mR USB driver to send 32 bit frames when the material is 16 or 24 bits. Other drivers do not do that.
  3. Schiit is typically very responsive, except when they can't replicate a problem. They only reply when they have concrete information.

Sep 23, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #5,755 of 12,319

I am really glad to hear you have been able to resolve this issue via the squeezelite route, because my Yggy is currently out for the Gen 5 USB upgrade, and I was really anxious about having to face similar issues when it comes back. I also use my Yggy with either Ultrarendu and microrendu in roonready functionality, so there was no way I was going to dodge this bullet.

I need to ask though whether the workaround you have found (with squeezelite) compromises sound quality in anyway, in your opinion?

Sep 23, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #5,756 of 12,319
It's arguably wrong for the mR USB driver to send 32 bit frames when the material is 16 or 24 bits. Other drivers do not do that.
It's not the driver's choice, it's software's. The driver just advertises maximum it can accept, which it gets from the connected hardware. JRiver player does it. It's creators defend this decision. It doesn't really matter (it's like adding zeros after 1.0) until there is such a problem.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #5,757 of 12,319
It's not the driver's choice, it's software's. The driver just advertises maximum it can accept, which it gets from the connected hardware. JRiver player does it. It's creators defend this decision. It doesn't really matter (it's like adding zeros after 1.0) until there is such a problem.
I have emailed nick at Schiit and asked for a new USB gen5 card with updated firmware.
I’ll,update the tread when Imhear back.

Sep 23, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #5,758 of 12,319
I am really glad to hear you have been able to resolve this issue via the squeezelite route, because my Yggy is currently out for the Gen 5 USB upgrade, and I was really anxious about having to face similar issues when it comes back. I also use my Yggy with either Ultrarendu and microrendu in roonready functionality, so there was no way I was going to dodge this bullet.

I need to ask though whether the workaround you have found (with squeezelite) compromises sound quality in anyway, in your opinion?

Jesus with Sonare said there should be no loss. I do not perceive any.
Not sure if there is other functionality if the endpoint is not Roon ready though.
Since Schiit is installing the board for you hopefully they will give you a updated board.
They know there is an issue.

Sep 23, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #5,759 of 12,319
Jesus with Sonare said there should be no loss. I do not perceive any.
Not sure if there is other functionality if the endpoint is not Roon ready though.
Since Schiit is installing the board for you hopefully they will give you a updated board.
They know there is an issue.
This is quite encouraging, although schiit has not responded to an e-mail I sent them about the matter.

Sep 24, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #5,760 of 12,319
On a different note, anyone used the Yggy/Rag combo to drive a pair of Audeze LCDi4? Currently using Chord Mojo but really thinking about the combo in the near future. I still have the Wyrd I used with my old Gungnir/Mjolnir combo back in the day. Would the Wyrd help at all with a brand new Yggy or not necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back