Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #5,716 of 12,236
Received my Yggdrasil on Thursday and has been messing with it since.

Also decided to try Roon and see how it pair with the new DAC.

How ever, for the life of me, I can't get Roon to run exclusive mode with the Yggdrasil with the default windows driver on Gen 5 usb....

If you never figured this out, try setting the output to max 24 bit, I was having this issue too, it was sending 32bit and the yggy wouldn't read that

Sep 20, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #5,717 of 12,236
Thank you for your insights gentlemen. My fireplace (which is my primary source of heat) is on 24 X 7 from now until sometime next June and my Yggy is always on. When the fireplace kicks on (every 10 minutes or so) when music is not playing I just get the clicks on the Yggy, if music is playing it causes about a 2 second interruption until the Yggy re-establishes its connection.

The cheapest solution is to pull the EITR out and go back to my USB connection, which will cause a slight loss of sound quality but I can always get the Gen 5 update for the Yggy which is probably cheaper than hiring an electrician. Thanks again.

You could try a line conditioner or better yet an isolation transformer on the outlet your EITR / Yggy is on.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #5,719 of 12,236
It's the muting relay in the Yggy which may or may not get along with certain components...how could owners of these DACs not know this when it is stated in the Schiit FAQ?
I suppose there is a muting relay in the Hex that @sahmen owns as well, but it is just muting once after playback has stopped?
I owned the Gungnir USB-2 and if I used my Sony CDP 601-701ES with it, in pause/seek or in-between switching tracks the muting relays would click excessively. When using my MBP I had no issues with the muting relay, though.

Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 9.13.29 AM.png

Sep 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #5,720 of 12,236
It's the muting relay in the Yggy which may or may not get along with certain components...how could owners of these DACs not know this when it is stated in the Schiit FAQ?
I suppose there is a muting relay in the Hex that @sahmen owns as well, but it is just muting once after playback has stopped?
I owned the Gungnir USB-2 and if I used my Sony CDP 601-701ES with it, in pause/seek or in-between switching tracks the muting relays would click excessively. When using my MBP I had no issues with the muting relay, though.

This is of course helpful, but for me there are still a couple of unanswered questions. When my Yggy was in the chain and hooked up to the Eitr, it was clicking both during playback and in idle mode, when nothing was playing. There were even times when the clicking in idle mode seemed to be responding to the electrical impulses generated by other unrelated non-audio appliances in the same room as this system, but I lack the technical expertise to understand or explain how the Yggy/Eitr combo, or better yet, the muting relay in the Yggy, could be responding in this way to electrical stimuli or impulses around the room when playback was not active at all..

Now let me add the following for the sake of more transparency.

1. before the Eitr arrived, I was using the Audiophilleo 2 with Purepower as the USB to SPDIF converter hooked up to the Yggy, and I don't remember ever experiencing any clicking with that configuration.

2. The primary source has been successively a macmini, a microrendu, and an ultrarendu (with the latter 2 being powered by an Uptone LPS-1). Playback was smooth (and operated without any clicking) with the mac mini and microrendu in that configuration, but the ultrarendu did not fit well into that picture because of problems related to the distribution of voltage and power draw, that it introduced between the LPS-1 and the requirements of the Audiophilleo 2 with Purepower. Suffice it to say (without getting into more technical specifications) that replacing the audiophilleo 2 with Purepower with the Eitr (which has its own independent power supply, unlike the A2 w/PP) solved that problem, except that the Eitr also came with the problem of making the Yggy click, as described above...

With all that said, is the clicking of the Yggy, while connected to the Eitr, exclusively linked with the problem of muting relay as mentioned in the FAQ notes...? The part I do not get about that explanation is why the Yggy should click in that configuration even when nothing is playing... i.e. even when it is not supposed to be processing any audio signals...

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #5,722 of 12,236
This is of course helpful, but for me there are still a couple of unanswered questions. When my Yggy was in the chain and hooked up to the Eitr, it was clicking both during playback and in idle mode, when nothing was playing. There were even times when the clicking in idle mode seemed to be responding to the electrical impulses generated by other unrelated non-audio appliances in the same room as this system, but I lack the technical expertise to understand or explain how the Yggy/Eitr combo, or better yet, the muting relay in the Yggy, could be responding in this way to electrical stimuli or impulses around the room when playback was not active at all..

Now let me add the following for the sake of more transparency.

1. before the Eitr arrived, I was using the Audiophilleo 2 with Purepower as the USB to SPDIF converter hooked up to the Yggy, and I don't remember ever experiencing any clicking with that configuration.

2. The primary source has been successively a macmini, a microrendu, and an ultrarendu (with the latter 2 being powered by an Uptone LPS-1). Playback was smooth (and operated without any clicking) with the mac mini and microrendu in that configuration, but the ultrarendu did not fit well into that picture because of problems related to the distribution of voltage and power draw, that it introduced between the LPS-1 and the requirements of the Audiophilleo 2 with Purepower. Suffice it to say (without getting into more technical specifications) that replacing the audiophilleo 2 with Purepower with the Eitr (which has its own independent power supply, unlike the A2 w/PP) solved that problem, except that the Eitr also came with the problem of making the Yggy click, as described above...

With all that said, is the clicking of the Yggy, while connected to the Eitr, exclusively linked with the problem of muting relay as mentioned in the FAQ notes...? The part I do not get about that explanation is why the Yggy should click in that configuration even when nothing is playing... i.e. even when it is not supposed to be processing any audio signals...

My Eitr/Yggy combo does the same thing. It will momentarily trigger the Yggy's muting relay whenever my wife would turn on/off a light or ceiling fan on the same circuit, and occasionally when the AC would turn on or off. It did it when the system was on, even if nothing was playing. I have all my equipment on a line conditioner, but it doesn't help.

Last weekend I installed the Gen 5 USB into my Yggy and removed the Eitr from the chain. I'm now back to using a direct USB connection from PC to Yggy and the clicking from the relays is gone. So you shouldn't have that problem once your Yggy returns.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #5,723 of 12,236
My Eitr/Yggy combo does the same thing. It will momentarily trigger the Yggy's muting relay whenever my wife would turn on/off a light or ceiling fan on the same circuit, and occasionally when the AC would turn on or off. It did it when the system was on, even if nothing was playing. I have all my equipment on a line conditioner, but it doesn't help.

Last weekend I installed the Gen 5 USB into my Yggy and removed the Eitr from the chain. I'm now back to using a direct USB connection from PC to Yggy and the clicking from the relays is gone. So you shouldn't have that problem once your Yggy returns.

It is really good to know that the USB 5 upgrade will remove the problem. I also sent an inquiry to Schiit Tech support about this very issue, and i shall post their response on this thread once I receive it.

Thanks again for this encouraging input.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #5,724 of 12,236
sahmen, you need to read this. That's Mike's explanation of this phenomenon. It's RF interference. I hope you are using a good 75 Ohm coax cable. If not, a good one may help. If yes, than it's harder as described in that link.

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #5,725 of 12,236
If you never figured this out, try setting the output to max 24 bit, I was having this issue too, it was sending 32bit and the yggy wouldn't read that

I tried that actually, but it still doesn't work with it.

The setting is set to 24 bit and 192 kHz

There is another user with the same issue

Funny enough.

ASIO through Generic USB device @ 24 bit and 192 kHz works just fine..... just the WASPI ecxlusive doesn't work for some reason.

but anyway, thanks for trying to help

Sep 20, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #5,726 of 12,236
For the clicking issue, was the "get better gear light" flashing when no audio is playing? The far right light on the YGGY.
This happens to me when I use my shield TV in certain situations. I believe it happens when the audio signal is shut off and the YGGY loses it lock on the signal.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #5,727 of 12,236
sahmen, you need to read this. That's Mike's explanation of this phenomenon. It's RF interference. I hope you are using a good 75 Ohm coax cable. If not, a good one may help. If yes, than it's harder as described in that link.
Mike's explanation was very helpful. Thanks. I think the RF interference explanation seems more germaine in my case, than the one involving muting relays. I wish it explained better why it seems to affect the Eitr/Yggy combo much much more than it does the Eitr/Hex combo, but this would do, and it definitely helps that the YGGY with the USB5 will be rid of the problem. I do use solid 75 ohm Belden 1694A SPDIF cables in this particular application and others in the house, and they always perform flawlessly, so I do not think that was the source of the problem...

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #5,728 of 12,236
For the clicking issue, was the "get better gear light" flashing when no audio is playing? The far right light on the YGGY.
This happens to me when I use my shield TV in certain situations. I believe it happens when the audio signal is shut off and the YGGY loses it lock on the signal.
The get better gear light on the Yggy was never activated by the clicking in my case, to the best of my recollection.:)

Sep 20, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #5,729 of 12,236
Purchased/installed the usb gen5 for my Yggy, but it will not play any 24 bit tracks.
I have a microrendu and Roon.
It will play 24 bit tracks if attached to a laptop.
The Dac diagnostics shows some negotiation issue.

Sent email to Schiit last Sunday and used form on their website, but no email response. Seems odd since support normally replied in 24 hours or less.

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #5,730 of 12,236

That just means that Audiophilleo 2 provides a constant stream of data to Yggy. It's the same as my W4S uLink to my Biforst Multibit which I never hear any clicks whatsoever through Coax input.
When my Yggy was in the chain and hooked up to the Eitr, it was clicking both during playback and in idle mode, when nothing was playing
That's a normal behavior for me. If my computer goes to standby, the muting relay will click and if I use excessive CPU load, the relay may click during playback which indicates not enough buffer due to latency caused by excessive CPU usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back