Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 18, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #5,701 of 12,304
Due to Seattle cooling off after a hot summer I just turned on my gas fireplace which runs on a thermostat. I installed an EITR into my system this summer and have noticed now that every time my fireplace kicks on (which is often) it triggers a symphony of clicking in my Yggy, the same as if I was selecting new inputs on the DAC. I thought I read somewhere on this thread how to defeat this on the Yggy but have searched and can't find it - does anyone remember? Thanks in advance!
Matt

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #5,702 of 12,304
That's a different issue than what you're experiencing. I think the EITR is sensitive to a sharp increase power load on the HVAC system and that it loses its locked down stream so it makes a clicking noise to your Yggy

On SPDIF inputs, they're not always live like the USB input so you have to keep feeding it with music or silence if you want to not have that relay click every time you pause your music.

Sep 19, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #5,703 of 12,304
Due to Seattle cooling off after a hot summer I just turned on my gas fireplace which runs on a thermostat. I installed an EITR into my system this summer and have noticed now that every time my fireplace kicks on (which is often) it triggers a symphony of clicking in my Yggy, the same as if I was selecting new inputs on the DAC. I thought I read somewhere on this thread how to defeat this on the Yggy but have searched and can't find it - does anyone remember? Thanks in advance!
Matt
There is one possible 'solution' but it requires knowing what you are doing, or hiring someone who is familiar.
Most homes are fed by 2Ø wiring and if the igniter on your fireplace is on the same phase as your audio system, then moving one or the other to the other phase (if indeed they are on the same phase) may 'solve' your problem.

This implies you know what you are doing and can determine which wires are which and how to not electrocute yourself.
And an electrician would be able to make this change for you if you are inexperienced with these sorts of things.

JJ

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #5,704 of 12,304
Thank you for your insights gentlemen. My fireplace (which is my primary source of heat) is on 24 X 7 from now until sometime next June and my Yggy is always on. When the fireplace kicks on (every 10 minutes or so) when music is not playing I just get the clicks on the Yggy, if music is playing it causes about a 2 second interruption until the Yggy re-establishes its connection.

The cheapest solution is to pull the EITR out and go back to my USB connection, which will cause a slight loss of sound quality but I can always get the Gen 5 update for the Yggy which is probably cheaper than hiring an electrician. Thanks again.

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #5,706 of 12,304
I found out an interesting bit of information from Schiit Tech Support today. Might be a nice way to get a warranty if you were buying used.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Q: "I have a question. I understand that the warrant for an Yggy is not transferable. My question is: if someone were to purchase a used Yggy with the older USB card in it and then sent it in for the GEN5 upgrade could they still qualify for the two year extended warranty?"

A: "Thank you for asking. If the Gen 5 USB is installed by Schiit, the 2 year warranty will apply for the Yggdrasil. If it is not factory installed, the 2 year warranty will not apply."

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #5,708 of 12,304
Is you cable from Eitr to Yggy shielded for sure? Sounds like RF interference.

RF has a less chance of interrupting the stream. I think it's a sudden increase in load that it draws too much power from the circuit that it causes a temporary disruption in linearity(DC)/sinusoidal amplitude and phase(AC) of the power draw and that causes that data stream to be interrupted. Think about using your car stereo while starting your car engine.

Eitr has a wall wart unlike Yggy with its own tansformers and advanced noise filtering

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #5,709 of 12,304
RF has a less chance of interrupting the stream. I think it's a sudden increase in load that it draws too much power from the circuit that it causes a temporary disruption in linearity(DC)/sinusoidal amplitude and phase(AC) of the power draw and that causes that data stream to be interrupted. Think about using your car stereo while starting your car engine.

Eitr has a wall wart unlike Yggy with its own tansformers and advanced noise filtering
It's a gas fireplace, it can't draw much electrical power. The igniter probably generates a spark that produces RF interference. It's my guess.

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #5,710 of 12,304
Could it be the fan in the furnace kicking in?
Might want to look into a UPS with line conditioning. I use one where I am due to the brown outs and power blinks we have here.

It's a gas fireplace, it can't draw much electrical power. The igniter probably generates a spark that produces RF interference. It's my guess.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #5,711 of 12,304
My Eitr used to be connected to my Yggy, but the Yggy has now been shipped back to Schiit Audio for the USB5 update, and I have replaced it temporary with a Metrum Acoustics Hex, in the same chain. The weird thing I have noticed is that the Eitr's clicking has been reduced-drastically--since it got connected to the Hex, to the point where I now hear zero clicks or drops during normal playback of music (i.e. when the Hex is in use), whereas the Yggy's clicking during music playback, when connected to the Eitr, was too frequent and obnoxious sounding not to be distracting and even annoying occasionally. I do admit hearing the Eitr/Hex combo click a couple of times when in idle, non-playback mode, but even so, what I heard was so tame and non-intrusive (as compared to the clicking on the Yggy) as to go easily unnoticed, if one is not paying attention.

Is there any technical reason why the Eitr is playing this nice with the Metrum Hex (as opposed to its more erratic clickety-clicking when attached to the Yggy)? Of course the Eitr is going to remain connected to the Hex even after the Yggy comes back, since with the USB5, the Yggy is no longer going to need the Eitr's services, but this brings me to another question : Does the Yggy with the USB5 also exhibit the clicking syndrome?

I hope not, but any helpful responses and/or thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Sep 20, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #5,715 of 12,304
Okay, let me rephrase this: the Eitr was making the Yggy click like crazy, during playback, as well as in idle mode, several times a day. With the Eitr/Hex combo, conversely, I have just noticed something happen on just two occasions: I called that "something" a click, but it is nothing like those I used to hear on the Yggy... Both times, it was more like an ever-so-soft and ever-so-brief "blip" of a sound accompanied by a mild blink of the blue light on the Hex, and that was all., Whatever it is, it has been nowhere near as obnoxious, and frankly, as worrisome as the Eitr/Yggy combo was becoming to me. It has been 11 days now since the Yggy left here and was replaced by Hex, and I haven't seen or heard a single click or drop on the hex during music playback, and I find that to be relatively pleasing considering the alternative...

That said, all things being equal, and with all "clicks" taken out of the picture, I would rather have the Yggy installed in this particular system, and that is why I am hoping there shall be no clicking on the USB5 equipped Yggy, when it gets back.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back