Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #5,686 of 12,305
^ Unlike Schiit USB Gen which is always "live" to the DAC, SPDIF isn't always "live" and that makes the mute relay click when you pause and play music. To remedy that, just use ASIO.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #5,687 of 12,305
The other question I had is: should I just use my computer (through Wyrd + Jitterbug) to the Yggy

OR

Use my ifi ilink in between them?

I almost feel like it sounds better using optical from the ilink, but that could be placebo. I have also heard the optical exceeds the USB with the DAC itself.

Sep 10, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #5,688 of 12,305
^ I use SPDIF Coax myself since it sounds better than the Gen 2 USB I have. I just use it with ASIO all the time so that the mute relay doesn't click at all. BTW, WASAPI Event also works if you can't use ASIO

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #5,689 of 12,305
^ I use SPDIF Coax myself since it sounds better than the Gen 2 USB I have. I just use it with ASIO all the time so that the mute relay doesn't click at all. BTW, WASAPI Event also works if you can't use ASIO

Would ASIO conflict at all with playing video games, using Spotify, watching Youtube videos, Netflix, etc.?

I do agree though, I am almost positive using the optical vs USB sounds better. There's better detail retrieval, it sounds more balanced, and there's less noise as far as I can tell.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #5,690 of 12,305
Nope at least with the ASIO drivers from my W4S uLink. It lets in all sounds from the programs, essentially making it an external Windows Mixer if that makes sense. I don't know about the iFi if the drivers behave the same or not.

Sep 10, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #5,691 of 12,305
I wonder if I can figure out how the ifi drivers work with that...

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #5,692 of 12,305
I apologize in advance for the OT, but I got a quote for the Auralic combo Vega + Taurus MkII at 400$ less than the price for Yggy+Raggy...
And it ships on Monday if I order, very tempting! :L3000:
The ever returning question "which willsound better (to my ears)" cannot be answered, I can't audition the Schiit products here.
Damn!

You have a lot of solid replies to your question but I will add mine.

Having live with Yggy and Rggy for almost 4 months now, this combination is end game for me. In that time, I've heard Simeaudio Moon 430HAD, Woo Audio Wa22, Wa33, Violectric v281. If I had to make the purchase decision again, it would still be Ragnarok with Yggdrasil. The transparency, details, clarity, bass and soundstage are exceptional on Ragnarok. It will reveal any headphones as their creators intended to your ears.

The achilles heels in Ragnarok is that it does iEM, headphones and some speakers very well. It does everything well. This leads many to assume that it is the jack of all trades and master of none. How wrong that would be. Ragnarok excel with all those transducers. I'm driving my pair of Axis LS28 bookshelf speakers and it has never sounded so good.

Lastly if you did not buy the combo, at least buy Yggdrasil. This thoroughbred is just incredible with micro and macro details. It does that and still sound musical and chilling on your ears. Even using Yggy with my tube amp Euforia, I am getting pure euphony.

Good luck with your purchase.

Sep 10, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #5,693 of 12,305
You have a lot of solid replies to your question but I will add mine.

Having live with Yggy and Rggy for almost 4 months now, this combination is end game for me. In that time, I've heard Simeaudio Moon 430HAD, Woo Audio Wa22, Wa33, Violectric v281. If I had to make the purchase decision again, it would still be Ragnarok with Yggdrasil. The transparency, details, clarity, bass and soundstage are exceptional on Ragnarok. It will reveal any headphones as their creators intended to your ears.

The achilles heels in Ragnarok is that it does iEM, headphones and some speakers very well. It does everything well. This leads many to assume that it is the jack of all trades and master of none. How wrong that would be. Ragnarok excel with all those transducers. I'm driving my pair of Axis LS28 bookshelf speakers and it has never sounded so good.

Lastly if you did not buy the combo, at least buy Yggdrasil. This thoroughbred is just incredible with micro and macro details. It does that and still sound musical and chilling on your ears. Even using Yggy with my tube amp Euforia, I am getting pure euphony.

Good luck with your purchase.

Yep, the Yggy is magic.

Although I will say I personally prefer the 430HA with Yggy.

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #5,694 of 12,305
The Ragnarok runs extremely hot, especially on the back bottom area of the unit. I can't put my hand there for more than 5 seconds without feeling I am going to burn my self.
I'd recommend to leave the Ragnarok in a shelve by it self with free flowing air. If not possible, make sure there are ample spaces between the Ragnarok and any storage unit.

I have performed numerous MTBF (mean time between failure) studies utilizing thermocouples strategically placed within and on power supplies. At the time I worked for a power supply firm engineering mil-spec units for government and industry. The heat generated by solid state devices, and transformers or tubes, can not only be self-destructive, but can increase the heat of nearby devices to severely or fatally decrease said devices lifespan.

I agree, that "a shelf by itself with free flowing air" or a temperature sensing fan, is essential in prolonging the life of all electronic equipment.

For heat study information see: http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9r2w6x3

Sep 11, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #5,695 of 12,305
I have performed numerous MTBF (mean time between failure) studies utilizing thermocouples strategically placed within and on power supplies. At the time I worked for a power supply firm engineering mil-spec units for government and industry. The heat generated by solid state devices, and transformers or tubes, can not only be self-destructive, but can increase the heat of nearby devices to severely or fatally decrease said devices lifespan.

I agree, that "a shelf by itself with free flowing air" or a temperature sensing fan, is essential in prolonging the life of all electronic equipment.

For heat study information see: http://preview.tinyurl.com/y9r2w6x3

Although this may be true in principle, didn't the Schiit company itself say the Yggy was supposed to run hot and warm up for four days before it's ready for prime usage?

I know you were referencing the Ragnarok but I'm curious for the Yggy.

Mine runs on a shelf with two sides of ventilation but no fan.

Sep 11, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,696 of 12,305
Although this may be true in principle, didn't the Schiit company itself say the Yggy was supposed to run hot and warm up for four days before it's ready for prime usage?

My Yggy (2 yrs old) has never run "hot" to the touch, just a bit warmer at the power supply end. Separate shelf with lots of space.

All my years with hot running amps have been fine with separate shelf, taller feet, lots of space, no fans.

Sep 11, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #5,697 of 12,305
Mine is 20 months old now and never ran hot just barely warm on the power side.
My CXC Trans is connected via a Lifatec Glass cable very good medical cable that will compete with the more expensive audiopile offerings.
I think Lifatec glass sounds better than the Coax or 75ohm BNC. I also have the WyWires Litespeed digital cable which the Glass cable connection sounds better.
I'm using a Rogue Cronus Mag II it's absolutely sublime with the Yiggy!!!
Speakers only here.

Sep 11, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #5,698 of 12,305
This is how I have my gear positioned now. I have no problem with heat. They are group closer together for the photo but in reality I keep them further apart. :)

My Yggy has never been powered off and it's barely warm.

20170912_065519.jpg

Sep 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #5,699 of 12,305

The Yggdrasil runs only warm to the touch by it self.

But if you stack a Ragnarok above it with its default feet... the heat generated by Ragnarok will heat up Yggdrasil significantly to the point that I'd say it's hot on the front plate.

This is in an ACed room set to 76 degrees F.

Though, simply adding a hockey puck between the Yggy and Raggy will significantly reduce the temperature of Yggy back to being fairly warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back