Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #5,221 of 12,196
Talk to Schiit support. They are very supportive. That's what you should have done rather then try to diagnose it yourself. If there is a problem with the DAC, remember there is a 5 years warranty. You have nothing to fear at all.

No one here on the forum will be able to help you. Schiit is your answer.

I hope you get it fixed asap. Yggy is just too good sounding to put up with such issues.

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #5,222 of 12,196
Jun 12, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #5,223 of 12,196
Talk to Schiit support. They are very supportive. That's what you should have done rather then try to diagnose it yourself. If there is a problem with the DAC, remember there is a 5 years warranty. You have nothing to fear at all.

No one here on the forum will be able to help you. Schiit is your answer.

I hope you get it fixed asap. Yggy is just too good sounding to put up with such issues.

I'm not the fearful type :slight_smile:, just didn't want to bother them unless I knew everything was checked/done on my end. Besides my selfish reason that I didn't want to get separated from my beloved DAC either.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #5,224 of 12,196
I've had a Yggy for a long time. I just upgraded my music player to one with AES output. I'm feeling frustrated because the Yggy gives off the loud click between every song, even on the same album. It takes me out of enjoying the music. Frustrating. I otherwise would love my new player: https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

How are you going from pc to the server? If it's usb then a wyrd should fix it or just go ethernet.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #5,225 of 12,196
I purchased my Yggdrasil 3 months ago. The first month it worked perfect. It has a great sound, I really enjoy listening to my music collection.

A weird problem started last month. The DAC kept randomly disconnecting from the computer. No noisy source LED, just one click as the relay switch went off. And once it went off the DAC never reconnected. I had to turn the Yggy off, disconnect it from power and wait 15–20 minutes before it could connect again. Sometimes it worked for a few days without disconnecting, some other times it took only an hour of listening to music before it went mute again. Extremely frustrating.

In the beginning I should point it out that previously I had used the same laptop and a Peachtree Decco2 for 5 years without a single connection issue. Anyways, I read Schiit's DAC Problems web page and followed all the Windows 10 audio setup instructions — no success.

I tried all 4 USB ports on my laptop — same result.

Even though the ifi iUSB3.0 permanently supplies 5V to the power line, I bought a Belkin externally powered USB 2.0 hub and put it between the laptop and the iUSB3.0 — no success.

Next I left the iUSB3.0 out of the chain — no success.

My wireless router is placed relatively close to the DAC thus I thought this could somehow mess it up. Perhaps the Yggy was more sensitive to radio waves so was the Wi-Fi disabled. No change.

Then I suspected that my USB cable was broken and purchased a PYST cable. The problem still persisted.

At this point I thought there's something wrong with my computer itself so I bought a Lightning to USB 3 adapter to connect my iPhone to the Yggdrasil. This setup gave me the same exact result; after a few songs the relay switch went off and that's it.

The only thing I learned is the longer the Yggy is turned off/disconnected from power the longer it works before it dies again. A heat-related issue?

By now I'm out of ideas. I ruled out everything I could think of but the problem still persists. What on Earth is wrong?

some folks have run into problems with the win10 creators updates. assuming you've done that update, the first thing to try is uninstalling the schiit drivers and see if the new win10 usb 2.0 driver works. if not, then reinstall the schiit drivers.

since the usb board in the yggy works sometimes, i doubt that's the issue. as mentioned, a call to schiit support is a good idea.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #5,226 of 12,196
some folks have run into problems with the win10 creators updates. assuming you've done that update, the first thing to try is uninstalling the schiit drivers and see if the new win10 usb 2.0 driver works. if not, then reinstall the schiit drivers.

I haven't installed the Creators Update yet, it's the 1607 version running.

Jun 12, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #5,228 of 12,196
I ended up having to send my yggy in for repair, not only wouldn't the usb work anymore, but my computer wouldn't start up with it plugged in! It's still in the shop, so it must be needing some major overhaul work done to it. I've since gotten lynx AES16 soundcards, so I'm going to bypass USB. That's going to be cool I think, but I'm having trouble getting the lynx mixer to start up, because my antivirus thinks it's a virus and won't let it run. Fun times with Windows machines.

As for the yggy driver, I did try to uninstall and reinstall the driver, and it worked before, but not the last time (before I contacted Schiit and sent it in)

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #5,229 of 12,196
For all you AES cable rollers, if you have a DH Labs D-110 cable (or any other decent AES cable) to sell, please PM me. I think the current cable I have is not up to standard.

Jun 13, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #5,230 of 12,196
167906.jpg

A new owner to the Yaggy. So far so good. I like the sound.
A replacement to the Auralic Vega.

One question. Is there a way to lower the output volume? My amps inputs are way to loud and don't allow enough volume adjustment.

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #5,231 of 12,196
If you use the SE outputs, the output signal drops by ≈1/2.
You could add, in-line pads to the balanced outputs.
You could reduce the volume in your s/w player that feeds the Jggy.

One (or more) of these aught to do the trick.

JJ

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #5,232 of 12,196
If you use the SE outputs, the output signal drops by ≈1/2.
You could add, in-line pads to the balanced outputs.
You could reduce the volume in your s/w player that feeds the Jggy.

One (or more) of these aught to do the trick.

JJ

Okay. I will give those a go. Some good ideas.

I'm fairly low tech. Just using iPod in Arcam Dock, digital coax to the Yggy. That's all. No computer connection.

Edit: Arcam Dock for the iPod has volume adjustment. That seems to do the trick.

Yaggy > V281 > Ether Flow sounds great.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #5,233 of 12,196
still try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling -- most likely solution, imo.

A had done three times but didn't include it in the already too long post.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #5,234 of 12,196
^ This is sad to hear. It seems likely your Yggy has a problem. You should contact Schiit technical support and go from there.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #5,235 of 12,196
Thanks for your response! So to be clear, it's not enough to just leave it on for those 200 hours, but I should have music running through the DAC so it's actively converting the digital to analog, correct?

From my experience with the Yggy and numerous other DACs, you don't need to be playing music. The "burn-in" entirely has to do with heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back