Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jun 3, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #5,191 of 12,282
I didn't realise it does that. Is that why some other DACs are called NOS because they don't upsample the signal?

Yes.

Yggdrasil upsamples to 24/352.8 or 24/384. That max bit rate/sample rate it will accept is 24/192. So, no matter what, Yggdrasil will upsample at least to 2x. Red Book content is upsampled 8x.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #5,192 of 12,282
Having recently discovered and enjoyed upsampling music to DSD256 to play on my iDSD BL, I wonder any Yggy users upsample too and found music to sound nicer.

I am aware that it needs to be converted back to PCM for it to work on the yggy. Kinda means cancelling out the effect but perhaps there's a way that I don't know about?

I had the original ifi micro iDSD and used Audirvana to upsample PCM tracks to the max bitrate that DAC could take (which was what 768?). Upsampling was required on that DAC to make it sound its best. The Yggy though, is the complete opposite. Do not upsample the music you feed it. Feed it the native file and it will perform magic.

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #5,193 of 12,282
As a new Yggy owner (14 days burn in) I must say that it is sounding absolutely wonderful with 16/44.1 flacs. I have a lot of those tracks to listen to, from my own library and from Tidal.

Jun 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #5,194 of 12,282
Exactly. The Yggy upsamples 44.1 and its multiples to 352.8, and 48 and its multiples to 384, and that's what goes into the Analog Devices resistor-array chips. NOS R2R DACs don't upsample, they just convert at the sampling rate and rely on downstream analog low-pass filtering. For high sample rates, the different is small, but on Redbook, it's more noticeable because the way the signal is smoothed is different. I have both an Yggy and a NOS DAC, I like both in their different ways, although if I had to keep just one, the Yggy would be the winner.

Yes.

Yggdrasil upsamples to 24/352.8 or 24/384. That max bit rate/sample rate it will accept is 24/192. So, no matter, Yggdrasil will upsample at least to 2x. Red Book content is upsampled 8x.

I had the original ifi micro iDSD and used Audirvana to upsample PCM tracks to the max bitrate that DAC could take (which was what 768?). Upsampling was required on that DAC to make it sound its best. The Yggy though, is the complete opposite. Do not upsample the music you feed it. Feed it the native file and it will perform magic.

Thanks for the helpful explanation guys! I own this DAC of ours coming to 2 years now and still so many good things about it that I'm still finding out. :o2smile:

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #5,195 of 12,282
I have both an Yggy and a NOS DAC, I like both in their different ways, although if I had to keep just one, the Yggy would be the winner.

Your NOS DAC would be the Holo Spring right? They have quite a write-up regarding NOS vs OS on their website. I myself came close to getting a Metrum but ultimately decided on the Yggy. But the claims of NOS giving a more natural delivery always intrigued me. Is that your experience between the 2 DACs?

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #5,196 of 12,282
Your NOS DAC would be the Holo Spring right? They have quite a write-up regarding NOS vs OS on their website. I myself came close to getting a Metrum but ultimately decided on the Yggy. But the claims of NOS giving a more natural delivery always intrigued me. Is that your experience between the 2 DACs?
By no means an expert, but it seems to me that one cannot give absolutes about OS vs NOS, as so much depends on the particular OS filters used, the details of the actual D2A, and the analog stages. I've not done a real side-by-side comparison between the two, as the Yggy drives my speaker system while the Spring drives my headphone system. I don't hear much difference for higher sample rates; at 44.1 the Spring feels a bit edgier, I'd not call that necessarily more natural, but it's lively. But overall the Yggy has the edge for the music I listen to. Not enough to replace the Spring by another Yggy, I enjoy the variety.

Jun 4, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #5,197 of 12,282
By no means an expert, but it seems to me that one cannot give absolutes about OS vs NOS, as so much depends on the particular OS filters used, the details of the actual D2A, and the analog stages. I've not done a real side-by-side comparison between the two, as the Yggy drives my speaker system while the Spring drives my headphone system. I don't hear much difference for higher sample rates; at 44.1 the Spring feels a bit edgier, I'd not call that necessarily more natural, but it's lively. But overall the Yggy has the edge for the music I listen to. Not enough to replace the Spring by another Yggy, I enjoy the variety.

I know what you mean. Implementation plays such a big part in the eventual sound of every gear, doesn't it. Well I can't be happier with the sound I'm getting from the non-NOS yggy. I too like variety and the more humbly-priced iDSD BL (fully buzzword complaint, as the Schiit guys would probably say) is immensely enjoyable and gets as much of my ear-time as the Yggy. But in terms of realism and scale, they are clearly in different leagues.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #5,198 of 12,282
For those of you running AES on the Yggy, what cable are you using?

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #5,200 of 12,282
For those of you running AES on the Yggy, what cable are you using?
Pro Co 3' Premium Canare AES/EBU Cable from Sweetwater, $54.99.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #5,201 of 12,282
Audio Sensibility Statement SE Silver AES/EBU cable $299cn/≈$225usd.
And OCC all silver conductor wire made by Oyide with Furutech gold plated xlr connectors.

JJ

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #5,202 of 12,282
Shunyata Research ΞTRON® COBRA
What a coincidence.. I ended up buying this last evening. There was a 1.5m demo cable at Music Direct for $295 that I snagged. Any comments on sound?

Jun 5, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #5,203 of 12,282
What a coincidence.. I ended up buying this last evening. There was a 1.5m demo cable at Music Direct for $295 that I snagged. Any comments on sound?

in comparison to the cable I had prior, there was a difference in sound. much more dynamic, not as dull sounding. it is a well made cable and for less than $300 you got a bargain in my opinion Although there are well made cables for less, I am happy with my cobra

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #5,205 of 12,282
Hey guys, I just placed an order for a Yggdrasil and I'm very excited. This may be a dumb question, but from what I've read in this thread, it seems that there is a 150-200 hour crucial burn in period that needs to take place before the Yggdrasil sounds its best. Is this just a matter of keeping the DAC on the entire time for it to reach its appropriate temperature? Or does music actually need to be constantly running through it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back