Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 14, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,726 of 12,398
Hi, I upgraded from a modi mb to Yggdrasil recently and saw Yggy is usb 3.0 and was using a cheap Tripp Lite 2.0 usb before. Is it worth it/recommended to upgrade to usb 3.0? And I have always read the since usb is digital to just get a reg one, not worth it to get a high end one. I use audioquest king cobra xlr to feed my IFI iCAN pro. I'm using a pc with Windows 10.

Also, I have a schiit wyrd I bought like a month ago but didn't hear much of a difference (there was some noise in the modi until it broke in, wyrd didn't fix it or make it sound any different to me.) I'm thinking about trying it again. Some people think it helps audio quality even when you aren't actually having problems.

Yggy is Schiit USB GEN3  as in GENeration 3 from Schiit, not "USB 3.0" as in the "Universal Serial Bus standard 3.0".

From the Schiit site:
"Yggdrasil also features our all-new USB Gen 3 input module, for exceptional USB input performance."
and from the manual:
"3 USB Input.
This is a USB digital
input. Connect to your
computer source with
a short (2m or less),
USB 2.0-rated cable."

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #4,727 of 12,398
  He is talking about something that takes DSD and converts it to something Yggy can process......not a bad thing if you want to play DSD material and have a non-DSD DAC like Yggy.

Yep, you do understand me :).

Anyway, I didn't order the Schiit Pyst XLR cable with my Yggdrasil and MJ2. Reason for that, cable is probably to short as the  Yggdrasil is bigger than the Gungnir. Also it would increase the vat-tax rate from 1,5% to 4%. 2.5% more on the total amount is a lot extra. 

Now I am searching for two short XLR-cables 0.5m, would love Neutrik connectors. Budget around 60 euro's. Yet it confuses me since a lot of 3P XLR cables are having a text printed on them : Professional Microphone cable. Also I noticed some AES or DMX XLR cables which are 110 impedance, they should work right?

Something like this ? https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Cordial-CPM-0-5-FRMR-peak-Mikrofonkabel-XLR-0-5m-2xWinkel-Neutrik/art-ACC0003061-000;pgid=LBBg6b.M1rdSRpIrkcedddMZ0000ePFJLMb9 

Or this one ? : https://www.musicstore.de/nl_DE/EUR/Vovox-link-direct-S100-XLR-female-XLR-male/art-REC0003986-000 

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #4,728 of 12,398
  He is talking about something that takes DSD and converts it to something Yggy can process......not a bad thing if you want to play DSD material and have a non-DSD DAC like Yggy.

I know, thus the emoticons. But keep in mind that DSD>PCM is not an exact conversion, so it needs its own filtering that might or might not affect what you hear.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,729 of 12,398
Yggy is Schiit USB GEN3  as in GENeration 3 from Schiit, not "USB 3.0" as in the "Universal Serial Bus standard 3.0".

From the Schiit site:
"Yggdrasil also features our all-new USB Gen 3 input module, for exceptional USB input performance."
and from the manual:
"3 USB Input.
This is a USB digital
input. Connect to your
computer source with
a short (2m or less),
USB 2.0-rated cable."

Oh lol, I thought it meant usb 3.0, so we still use usb 2.0 cables it just has a better input on the dac? Ok thanks for that!

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #4,730 of 12,398
Now I am searching for two short XLR-cables 0.5m, would love Neutrik connectors. Budget around 60 euro's. Yet it confuses me since a lot of 3P XLR cables are having a text printed on them : Professional Microphone cable. Also I noticed some AES or DMX XLR cables which are 110 impedance, they should work right?

Something like this ? https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Cordial-CPM-0-5-FRMR-peak-Mikrofonkabel-XLR-0-5m-2xWinkel-Neutrik/art-ACC0003061-000;pgid=LBBg6b.M1rdSRpIrkcedddMZ0000ePFJLMb9 

Or this one ? : https://www.musicstore.de/nl_DE/EUR/Vovox-link-direct-S100-XLR-female-XLR-male/art-REC0003986-000 

Yes, you can use microphone cables as interconnects, Mogami and Vovox have very good cables and are not very expensive, or buy Klotz MC5000 cable (rolls the treble a tiny bit but it is very good for its price) and make the cables yourself. If you can spend a bit more the QED Reference 40 XLR is even better and has been compared favourably with cables several times its price. I have a pair of Vovox Sonorus for sale but they are 1 m long, or if you live not far from Oxford I can give you a pair of 0.5 m Klotz MC5000 cables with Neutrik connectors. In the second link you have the price is for one cable not for the pair (microphones are not sold in pairs...).

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #4,732 of 12,398
  Yes, you can use microphone cables as interconnects, Mogami and Vovox have very good cables and are not very expensive, or buy Klotz MC5000 cable (rolls the treble a tiny bit but it is very good for its price) and make the cables yourself. If you can spend a bit more the QED Reference 40 XLR is even better and has been compared favourably with cables several times its price. I have a pair of Vovox Sonorus for sale but they are 1 m long, or if you live not far from Oxford I can give you a pair of 0.5 m Klotz MC5000 cables with Neutrik connectors. In the second link you have the price is for one cable not for the pair (microphones are not sold in pairs...).

These ones right? http://www.vinylvinyl.nl/qed-reference-xlr-40-analogue.html?id=40546686&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5sHHBRDg5IK6k938j_IBEiQARZBJWrvRPsaHqeHzbqwxP9ICccuA2DzAn8LCBmlYhhM0H2oaAnL48P8HAQ 

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #4,733 of 12,398
Yes, you can use microphone cables as interconnects, Mogami and Vovox have very good cables and are not very expensive, or buy Klotz MC5000 cable (rolls the treble a tiny bit but it is very good for its price) and make the cables yourself. If you can spend a bit more the QED Reference 40 XLR is even better and has been compared favourably with cables several times its price. I have a pair of Vovox Sonorus for sale but they are 1 m long, or if you live not far from Oxford I can give you a pair of 0.5 m Klotz MC5000 cables with Neutrik connectors. The second link you have is for the cables I have, but that is the price for one cable not for the pair (microphones are not sold in pairs...).

I recently got a pair of audioquest king cobra xlr cables (used). Have you tried them or know if they are supposed to be good?

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #4,735 of 12,398

Yes, those are the ones I have now, but you probably can get cheaper than that.

They are a bit out of my price-range  :frowning2:. If they were about 120 euro's I would have bought them. I won't live close to the UK. Living in Europe though :). Dutchy...

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #4,736 of 12,398
I recently got a pair of audioquest king cobra xlr cables (used). Have you tried them or know if they are supposed to be good?

No and have no idea, sorry. I remember seeing a review of several XLR interconnects, with several Audioquest cables. And there is a Eastern-European website with a review of the QED and other cables, not sure if some Audioquest were included. But can't find them now...

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,737 of 12,398

No and have no idea, sorry. I remember seeing a review of several XLR interconnects, with several Audioquest cables. And there is a Eastern-European website with a review of the QED and other cables, not sure if some Audioquest were included. But can't find them now...

Ah, I don't wanna hijack this topic completely. It is needed for the yggdrasil/mj2 though. Yet I do know the importance of analog cables. My Double Helix Cables did make sooooo much difference compared to the stock cable and cheap-ass interconnects (audioquest green) on my Lyr2/bifrost  setup. I would be able to buy the QED's but then I have to wait till the 24th :frowning2:. Patience is a virtue, i know. If you know a good alternative for max 120 euro's? Maybe sleeved? 

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #4,738 of 12,398
QED has a very good quality/price ratio. 120 euros would be the price of the Vovox Link, I had the Vovox Sonorus which are a bit better. The QED is even better, tonally they seem the same but everything is even more focused, easy to notice on the strings of the double bass. The problem is that the Yggdrasil is very revealing. I don't know how many better cables are out there for the same price, I guess you will have to dig a bit.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #4,739 of 12,398
  QED has a very good quality/price ratio. 120 euros would be the price of the Vovox Link, I had the Vovox Sonorus which are a bit better. The QED is even better, tonally they seem the same but everything is even more focused, easy to notice on the strings of the double bass. The problem is that the Yggdrasil is very revealing. I don't know how many better cables are out there for the same price, I guess you will have to dig a bit.

It might be worth the wait of 5/6 days. I mean, I could continue listening on the Lyr2/Bifrost for those days. I rather wait a bit and buy some good cables then spend now 40 euro on some cheaper ones and upgrade later. Or pay 120 euro's or 150 euro's for the Vovox (depending Link/Sonorus) and know in my mind that the QED's are better and doesn't cost much more.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,740 of 12,398

Um, the last I checked the Singxer SU-1 is $400 and for ≈ $700 you can get a Atterotech uD0, and granted AOIP is more 'complex' to set up, but uses ethernet to deliver AES (with a 96KB upper limit which isn't much of a handicap for the Jggy).

Just a couple of existing options.

Even so I'd wait to see what the Shiit Eitr can do (and to see if it has AES) and it'll probably be cheaper than the SU-1 as well.

JJ

I did not suggest Dante-based AOIP solutions because I don't have or intend to ever have PCs. As for the SU-1, it needs a USB source. That's what the microRendu does. But microRendu + LPS-1 + SU-1 go for around $1400, comparable to the good LPS Auralic Aries. I know, I know, some people insist on pushing audio directly from their PCs or Macs. Why they do that, I have no idea. A PC or Mac is for general computation, and trying to use it at the same time for audio seems an exercise in frustration to me. But that's maybe because I've been running my home network, servers, Linux boxes for decades.

Hopefully not getting too far OT here, but I use a dedicated fanless Shuttle PC running Windoze 7 as my music server (total cost around $300 including OS). It runs JRiver and Tidal (via Chrome), and essentially nothing else (software updates turned off). Front end is another Windows laptop via Remote Desktop, but I can also use Gizmo on my phone as JRiver front end. At some point, someone will write a great Tidal front end for Android that's affordable, but I muddle along for now. This setup has been quite reliable and sounds fantastic. I like Linux, and program it at work, but Windows is just much more mainstream and easier to maintain (in my experience) for audio. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back