Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 15, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #4,757 of 12,475

Right, somebody will sell one because "it's not expensive enough to be this good!"

Well the reason I like Schiit Audio so much is their business model .
You know a lot of their Schiit would be 2-4 times the price if it went through the dealership networks .
They are not gouging the consumer .

Many of us feel the same way. I'm a Schiithead all the way. 
cool.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #4,759 of 12,475
I need a second Yggy.
Or maybe a multibit Gungnir will do.
Current Yggy feeds a PrimaLuna Integrated via single ended.
2nd Yiggy would be for solid state setup with balanced inputs.
Wondering if Gungnir feeding single ended setup would be close enough.
And use current Yggy for other setup.
Maybe single ended output on Yggy doesn't utilize its advantage over the Gungir?
Would save me a $1000 bucks.

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #4,760 of 12,475
  I need a second Yggy.
Or maybe a multibit Gungnir will do.
Current Yggy feeds a PrimaLuna Integrated via single ended.
2nd Yiggy would be for solid state setup with balanced inputs.
Wondering if Gungnir feeding single ended setup would be close enough.
And use current Yggy for other setup.
Maybe single ended output on Yggy doesn't utilize its advantage over the Gungir?
Would save me a $1000 bucks.

You know what you need to do.

Apr 15, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #4,762 of 12,475
Apr 15, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,763 of 12,475
I'm predicting that Yggy will win TAS DAC of the Year and has a REALLY good shot at Product of the Year based on Robert Harley's review which I just finished reading.

Last 2 sentences:

"It's a spectacular performer on an absolute level, and an out of the world bargain. The Yggy is not just a tremendous value in today's DACs, it's one of the greatest bargains in the history of high end audio."

I'm always jaded when I read TAS reviews, but EVERYTHING he talks about is exactly what I've found with my own Yggy. There's not one negative thing in the review unlike Stereophile's.

Well done, Sir Michael. Well done indeed!!!

Apr 15, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #4,765 of 12,475
With the usual risk of having people end up beating up each other over it, I'm going to share an interesting experience I had that i didn't write up in my review of the Utopias. 

Up to now, I've owned a bunch of interconnects and would sometimes switch them around between the Yggy and Studio Six. There was almost nothing in the difference so I didn't pay any attention to which pair I used. Until I was listening with the Utopia. Then, sadly, it was very apparent which capable of bringing through more resolution than the others. But more importantly, I could finally hear how much (more) resolution that the Yggy was capable of than I had realized. At least now I now what threshold I should care about these things, at least for my own satisfaction.

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #4,766 of 12,475
Yggy-perfect music: Although it was originally recorded in analog format in 1959, this outstanding Antal Dorati-conducted performance of several Stravinsky works I just found was well remastered to digital in the early 1990s, and is available as a digital download that does not seem to have been murdered by the transfers. It sounds glorious on my Yggy-based living room system. Except for a gentle tape hiss in very quiet passages, it does not leave anything to modern digital masters, indeed it bests many I have. The brass is really brassy, percussion startles, timbres are totally realistic, stereo soundstage superb for a remaster, with clear separation left-to-right and back to front, with the drums rolling from the back of the stage like big breaking waves. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #4,767 of 12,475
Ordered 2nd Yggy. :)
Don't wanna let the line in front of me get too long once TAS review hits the mail boxes.
Also don't wanna risk a price bump.
Funny I was ready to sell after an inadequate break in period a week ago.
I stand corrected.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #4,768 of 12,475

Right, somebody will sell one because "it's not expensive enough to be this good!"

Or the switch is on the back… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #4,769 of 12,475
earnmyturns
Thanks for the reference  on the Stravinsky ballet music on Mercury Living Presence.  Managed to find it in this thread.
Ultimately it is all about music and finding good recordings can be a challenge.

NF

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #4,770 of 12,475
Yggy-perfect music: Although it was originally recorded in analog format in 1959, this outstanding Antal Dorati-conducted performance of several Stravinsky works I just found was well remastered to digital in the early 1990s, and is available as a digital download that does not seem to have been murdered by the transfers. It sounds glorious on my Yggy-based living room system. Except for a gentle tape hiss in very quiet passages, it does not leave anything to modern digital masters, indeed it bests many I have. The brass is really brassy, percussion startles, timbres are totally realistic, stereo soundstage superb for a remaster, with clear separation left-to-right and back to front, with the drums rolling from the back of the stage like big breaking waves. 

Almost all of the old Mercury Living Presence series are absolutely incredible recordings. For spinners, there have been 3 box sets of 50 discs which cover just about all of them.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back