Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 16, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #4,786 of 12,475
I gotta say I am getting a DDC going to see what more improvements can be made, but currently coming straight out of a Mac mini that is powered by an LPS 12 volts DC.

Even while listening to Headphones, I get zero Hiss, Hum or anything but black silence.   But In still want to remove the 5Volts DC supply from the CPU and supply my own cleaner 5 Volts from a dedicated LPS.

I continue to be amazed at how woodwind instruments, piano and vocals sound from the Yggy!

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #4,787 of 12,475
I gotta say I am getting a DDC going to see what more improvements can be made, but currently coming straight out of a Mac mini that is powered by an LPS 12 volts DC.

Even while listening to Headphones, I get zero Hiss, Hum or anything but black silence.   But In still want to remove the 5Volts DC supply from the CPU and supply my own cleaner 5 Volts from a dedicated LPS.

I continue to be amazed at how woodwind instruments, piano and vocals sound from the Yggy!

Piano and acoustic guitar are killer . Scary sometimes .

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #4,788 of 12,475

Things get even better when you power all the audio stuff through a Topaz isolation transformer and a quality simple power strip. I just put a Topaz 91002-31T (2.5kVA) into play and the sound improvement is quite noticeable.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #4,789 of 12,475

Things get even better when you power all the audio stuff through a Topaz isolation transformer and a quality simple power strip. I just put a Topaz 91002-31T (2.5kVA) into play and the sound improvement is quite noticeable.

+1.

I got a 1KVA Topaz last year and heard an immediate benefit but to start only had the analogue components plugged into it. This week I followed John Swensons advice from CA and plugged the rest of my audio system into a well made power distribution strip(no filtering) that was plugged into the Topaz. This really improved clarity.

My understanding is that the benefit of having all equipment at the same ground potential far outweighs the noise that some equipment might still be generating back into this isolated system. I am also switching as many devices as I can to linear supplies.

Well worth the effort and has a relatively low cost.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #4,790 of 12,475

+1.

I got a 1KVA Topaz last year and heard an immediate benefit but to start only had the analogue components plugged into it. This week I followed John Swensons advice from CA and plugged the rest of my audio system into a well made power distribution strip(no filtering) that was plugged into the Topaz. This really improved clarity.

My understanding is that the benefit of having all equipment at the same ground potential far outweighs the noise that some equipment might still be generating back into this isolated system. I am also switching as many devices as I can to linear supplies.

Well worth the effort and has a relatively low cost.

From what John says, the main benefits of what I suggested are twofold.

First, the Topaz isolation transformer has extremely low inter-winding capacitance. Most Topaz units have .005pF inter-winding capacitance while some, like the unit part number I listed, have .0005pF. Because of this, the Topaz isolation transformer "doesn't pass the high frequency crud on the AV main" so it is "a very effective noise filter." The Topaz acts as great surge suppressor and noise filter.

Second, using the quality power strip with no line conditioners lowers the impedance between the power outlets which will reduce the noise generated by any leakage loops present.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #4,791 of 12,475

When I do my listening sessions, I turn off all equipment in my living room that doesnt have a linear power supply (LPS), and the heater (its cold here in Norway). Also I unplug my power supply for my laptop (switch mode), and off with the phone charger.. Off with the lights and TV (TV set has a button in the rack to turn off volume for all modules). 

I have been able to measure some increased noise on my ADC when my heater kicks in, but I havent been able to measure the switch mode noise from eg. laptop charger or phone charger.

Im thinking to build my own DIY power cleaner, using R-core AC to AC supplies in one large cabinet and EMI/RCI filters on the AC input. Just have to find the transformers first that support 230-240volts out.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #4,792 of 12,475
I put a Tripp Lite IS1000HG isolation transformer into my setup about a month back --- well worth the investment IMO!

Honestly, I was expecting to solve a problem I didn't think I really had to begun with... It was purely a curiosity thing, kind of a "what the heck, why not?" sort of deal...
Yeah well, lets just say I was mildly surprised by the results with the transformer in place
wink_face.gif

- More holographic sound (black background).
- Wider / deeper soundstage.
- More vivid presentation (midrage more up front - across the board just more alive sounding)
- Greater separation between instruments / singer.
- Slightly more dynamic sound.
- Slightly more detail - And surprisingly less harsh sounding to boot!

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #4,795 of 12,475
  Can someone tell me of, or recommend a good transformer for the Yggy? 

I would look for a Topaz Ultra-Isolator isolation transformer on eBay in the 1.8 to 2.5kVA sizes. Then plug ALL of you audio equipment into a simple TrippLite power strip with no line conditioning features and plug the TripLite into the Topaz isolation transformer. The key is the .005pF or .0005pF low capacitance inter-winding. 

These old Topaz units are superior to just about anything you can buy today and can cost less too.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,796 of 12,475

Can someone tell me of, or recommend a good transformer for the Yggy? 

I took one from eBay that was from Stancore but I think Tripplite's IS500HG should suffice.

I would look for a Topaz Ultra-Isolator isolation transformer on eBay in the 1.8 to 2.5kVA sizes. Then plug ALL of you audio equipment into a simple TrippLite power strip with no line conditioning features and plug the TripLite into the Topaz isolation transformer. The key is the .005pF or .0005pF low capacitance inter-winding. 

These old Topaz units are superior to just about anything you can buy today and can cost less too.

Thanks Guys

Kerry

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #4,797 of 12,475

+1 for the Topaz. Size depends on your system. I run a tube pre and amp but the amp is only 10w. I have my fanless PC, DDC, DAC, pre, and amp plugged into a 1KVA Topaz with remarkable results.

As @winders remarks one of the keys is to use a simple power strip and plug all of your audio gear in. The other key is low inter-winding capacitance figure which the lower end Stancore units etc. will probably not have. The Topaz units have that measurement printed on their lable. Try EBAY. Lots there.

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:43 AM Post #4,798 of 12,475
I really didn't think the Yggy would make much of a difference at all compared to my Moon Neo's DAC.

I also know my old DAC was my main limit in my setup.

Just didn't expect it.
This thing is fantastic.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,799 of 12,475
I too have nothing but praise for the Yggy. I have a different praise. I listen to mostly electronic music. Not "recorded" music. However, the bass sounds SO good on the Yggy it wows me every day. With the Yggy I can differentiate the different kinds of kicks and slaps used in the music, and the tonality of the high hats and the bass lines is extremely on point. I can't wait to see what the Eitr is and if it will bring any improvement outside of my Singxer SU-1. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #4,800 of 12,475
I am almost considering getting a Mutec, or Singxer to try and make sure this thing is at its best.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back