Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #4,443 of 12,398
I don't understand why many people say yggy' USB is bad.

Without anyother external devices like the USB cleaners, jitter removers, digital to digital converters, every input sound the same to me.

However, there was an improvement with the Mutec MC3 USB connected to the AES the sound especially in the treble area was very noticable with the cymbals having a more realistic feeling. It sounded like the drummer was in my room.

Okay, so my point is the yggy can be improved in sound quality while it has nothing to do with the input connectors being bad (USB input as others claim). But, on the other hand. If you have a very noisy USB port from your pc or whatever this would degrade the sound quality.

I upgraded my interface towards Yggdrasil with a Gustard u12, which has AES out, and 0.1ppm crystal oscillator (exactly what I was after). Once I did this, I got the drummer is in my room feeling. The space between drum hits is amazing. If I switch back to usb directly to yggrasil soundstage gets a little clumped together as far as instrument separation goes. Now I also hear a clear audible difference with a galvanization unit like the Intona galvanized USB towards yggdrasil, but clearly I have audible different soundstage with a AES input on yggdrasil where there is a good oscillator timing things.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #4,444 of 12,398

If the signal level stuff is hocus pocus, then all the Yggdrasil should need to sound how it is going to sound is 48 hours to thermally stabilize. That hasn't been the case. It wasn't with my unit nor with many other folks units.

nope. you're wrong and obviously new here. A lot was written about this when Yggy first came out. look up Mike's posts on the subject. 

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #4,445 of 12,398

I upgraded my interface towards Yggdrasil with a Gustard u12, which has AES out, and 0.1ppm crystal oscillator (exactly what I was after). Once I did this, I got the drummer is in my room feeling. The space between drum hits is amazing. If I switch back to usb directly to yggrasil soundstage gets a little clumped together as far as instrument separation goes. Now I also hear a clear audible difference with a galvanization unit like the Intona galvanized USB towards yggdrasil, but clearly I have audible different soundstage with a AES input on yggdrasil where there is a good oscillator timing things.

I listen to lots of jazz, including drummers like Brian Blade, Eric Harland, Jeff Ballard, Billy Hart, and Tyshawn Sorey who I've been lucky to hear live multiple times in recent times. The 3D rendering I get using USB is pretty convincing with the Yggy, and still there but a bit narrower with a Bimby. See my sig below for the configurations of both systems. From all of these discussions, I'm convinced that the main issue with USB vs Schiit DACs is that general-purpose computers add lots of electrical noise to their USB out signals.

Mar 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,446 of 12,398
  nope. you're wrong and obviously new here. A lot was written about this when Yggy first came out. look up Mike's posts on the subject. 

I really hate it when people play the "new here" card. Give it a rest......

Why don't you explain why it takes hundreds of hours to burn in the Yggdrasil yet playing music through it makes no difference during that process.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #4,447 of 12,398
Currently going back and forth between the Singxer SU-1 and Mutec MC-3+

Tough choice considering the price gap.

Mar 21, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,449 of 12,398

​what audible difference do you notice when switching between the two?

Sorry, I meant I am considering the purchase of one of those two products.

Can't decide which, and was hoping to actually get that same answered :)

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #4,450 of 12,398
I am sticking with the Singxer F-1 for a while. I want to see what shakes out in the DDC market before spending any more money. My Yggdrasil sounds awesome getting fed via SPDIF coax.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,451 of 12,398
  Sorry, I meant I am considering the purchase of one of those two products.

Can't decide which, and was hoping to actually get that same answered :)

​no problem. I have a Gustard U12 that I am happy with (for now), and have considered the SU-1 and the Mutec +3. There are people that believe there is a big difference comparing the Gustard to the SU-1 (in favor of the SU-1) due to the upgraded XMOS processor in the SU-1 and I was hoping for some final guidance before I jump into another rabbit hole. As for the Mutec +3... unless I needed a master clock to unify many digital devices, I doubt the 2.5X cost increase over the SU-1 wouldn't result in a better listening experience in my case

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4,452 of 12,398
  I doubt the 2.5X cost increase over the SU-1 wouldn't result in a better listening experience in my cas

Bingo.

Having owned many ddc and all that usb nervosi junk, my general advice for any dac.

#1 Start with Singxer F1 / SU-1
#2 Ignore all the inbetween money sink rabbit hole bullcrap.
#3 Upgrade to PCIE card (if possible) if you really want to squeeze the last microgram of performance vs SU-1.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #4,453 of 12,398
Dam rabbit holes....I'm leaning toward the Singxer SU-1 because of the AES output.   Even though my iPhone is China made, it makes me a little nervous about both the Singxer. The Mutec is at least German and priced like it....  The Singxer SU -1 can be bought from Amazon and they usually let you return it if you are unhappy... 

Though there is a Mutec MC-3 on Audiogon for $725...but I ships from South Korea...?

I'm thinking the Singxer SU-1 will perform all you need with the Yggy because it offers all the different outputs the other boxes like the Wyred4Sound uLink do not.

Mar 21, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #4,454 of 12,398

​no problem. I have a Gustard U12 that I am happy with (for now), and have considered the SU-1 and the Mutec +3. There are people that believe there is a big difference comparing the Gustard to the SU-1 (in favor of the SU-1) due to the upgraded XMOS processor in the SU-1 and I was hoping for some final guidance before I jump into another rabbit hole. As for the Mutec +3... unless I needed a master clock to unify many digital devices, I doubt the 2.5X cost increase over the SU-1 wouldn't result in a better listening experience in my case

The big difference is that SU-1 has isolated USB after the usb input and usb chip, while the Gustard u12 doesnt have that. I use Intona device in front of my U12, and I cant hear any difference with and without it, but using Intona in front of Yggdrasil I can hear a clear audible difference. I saw the SU-1 before purchasing U12, but I couldnt find the Crystal type used in SU-1 at the time, looking at ebay now, I cant see it either on the specification. So knowing U12 uses Crystal oscillator and which type, I safed by ordering U12. But these things are so dirt cheap even possible to order the SU-1 card just as the card for 90 dollars that its kindof wort just getting one extra.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,455 of 12,398
  Bingo.

Having owned many ddc and all that usb nervosi junk, my general advice for any dac.

#1 Start with Singxer F1 / SU-1
#2 Ignore all the inbetween money sink rabbit hole bullcrap.
#3 Upgrade to PCIE card (if possible) if you really want to squeeze the last microgram of performance vs SU-1.

What PCIE card do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back