Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #4,411 of 12,406

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #4,412 of 12,406
  I am working with the original purchaser as we speak.
He has been very helpful and at the end of all of this will get a good feedback review from me.

Not like the damage is his fault, I blame FedEx probably dropping it multiple times, or man handling it.

If the original seller sent it to you and it was working (we take his word for it since he's being super helpful, because no output on a DAC would be glaringly obvious to risk in a sale), then for the life of me I can't think of how only the output would not work, when everything else seems to be in tact. Was there damage to the box/packaging? do you get the "buy better gear" light?

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #4,413 of 12,406

how only the output would not work, when everything else seems to be in tact. Was there damage to the box/packaging? do you get the "buy better gear" light?

No damage to the package outside of general handling marks on the corners, but you wouldn't see damaged packaging if it were dropped/tossed around IMO.

No buy better gear light.

Honestly, things happen. As much as it sucks, we live in an imperfect world.
Even if it were broken before getting to me (which again, I highly doubt as his only reason for getting rid of it was upgrading to a DAVE, which is quite understandable) I still can't get a Yggy anyways.

They're out of stock on Schiit's site, used ones rarely come up on here for good reason and all that jazz.

The time I wait for the repair and shipping to/from will likely be the same if not less than getting a new one/finding another used one and having it shipped to me.

EDIT: Sent off to Schiit... hoping to have it fixed in two weeks or so... fingers crossed.

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #4,414 of 12,406
FYI, Yggy has one internal fuse near its power input socket.  If your unit is powering up, then it's definitely not a blown fuse related problem.

Personally, I would return it to the seller as quickly as you can for a full refund or send it into Schiit for repair at added cost and time to you.

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,415 of 12,406
Having owned my Yggy for about a month, I frequently stare at the absolute phase button trying to figure out its purpose.

I understand the concept of what it does but have been unable to find a recording where I realize it's value. Can someone point me to a recording where I can use this sucker?

Mar 18, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #4,416 of 12,406
Having owned my Yggy for about a month, I frequently stare at the absolute phase button trying to figure out its purpose.

I understand the concept of what it does but have been unable to find a recording where I realize it's value. Can someone point me to a recording where I can use this sucker?

Neither have I and bought my Yggy last summer.

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,417 of 12,406

Can't remember, but I've had a few during the last 6 months (not a lot since I use the Yggy minimum 8 hours each day; sometimes a lot more). Usually if you are happy with sound, leave setting to default (don't touch button). If something seems off compared to how you expect the sound to be; try pressing it :)

Mar 18, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,418 of 12,406

All it does on a given recording is make it blow instead of suck. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #4,419 of 12,406
I hear the difference, but only in the extreme low bass, like down below 30Hz and into the subsonic region, and it is VERY subtle.

The Jggy's polarity reversal switch has less noticeable impact than my PWD, which is also subtle, just a bit less so, especially on cannon shots etc.
But the jury is still out yet as my system has yet to peak, but I'm approaching a new peak in SQ even as I type this.

And I figure that when the Leading Edge Dynamic Impact (LEDI) returns it will do so with surprising results and then the phase button testing will begin in earnest.

JJ

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #4,422 of 12,406
My Yggy will be here tomorrow says the tracking number!!   I can hardly wait!!!     Going' round and round about USB converter boxes....but then I read about how Jason says the inputs should all perform the same.  I pull my files from a MAC Mini...want the Yggy to perform the best it can.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4,423 of 12,406
  My Yggy will be here tomorrow says the tracking number!!   I can hardly wait!!!     Going' round and round about USB converter boxes....but then I read about how Jason says the inputs should all perform the same.  I pull my files from a MAC Mini...want the Yggy to perform the best it can.

My advice, if you want a tangible upgrade for the best price, Singxer F1 + this usb cable + this rca cable.
You can spend a bit more and get Singxer SU-1 for a slight upgrade. 

You can go nervosi and spend thousands on something like Rednet or OR5.
Fortunately, there's something better for cheaper.
At the top of the heap is PCIE cards, RME and Lynx are good brands.

Although you can't use PCIE cards with a mac mini, my advice would be to go Singxer F1 route.
The Yggy internal USB is as bad as everyone says it is, and a detriment to how good the Yggy can actually sound.

Mar 20, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #4,424 of 12,406
A question about burn-in.  I've read in this thread that multiple folks have said this unit requires a couple of hundred hours of burn-in to sound its best.

I assume the requirement for "burn-in" here is for signal to be passing through it, as opposed to just being left on?  I understand that the manual requests that the Yggy should be left on 24x7.

Mar 20, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4,425 of 12,406
My advice, if you want a tangible upgrade for the best price, Singxer F1 + this usb cable + this rca cable.
You can spend a bit more and get Singxer SU-1 for a slight upgrade. 

You can go nervosi and spend thousands on something like Rednet or OR5.
Fortunately, there's something better for cheaper.
At the top of the heap is PCIE cards, RME and Lynx are good brands.

Although you can't use PCIE cards with a mac mini, my advice would be to go Singxer F1 route.
The Yggy internal USB is as bad as everyone says it is, and a detriment to how good the Yggy can actually sound.

Why not the Singxer SU-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back