Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #4,426 of 12,405
Why not the Singxer SU-1?

you can spend a bit more and get Singxer SU-1 for a slight upgrade.

I'm inferring it comes down to price, it's $200 more for a slight upgrade. 

Owning both, my subjective rating is that the biggest jump in performance is from internal USB to Singxer F1.
After that, you still get a slight upgrade with SU-1, but not to the same level as ditching internal USB. Thus the $200 increased cost comes down to ones budget.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,427 of 12,405
  My Yggy will be here tomorrow says the tracking number!!   I can hardly wait!!!     Going' round and round about USB converter boxes....but then I read about how Jason says the inputs should all perform the same.  I pull my files from a MAC Mini...want the Yggy to perform the best it can.

The Gen3 USB isn't as bad as you may think, it may be worth to give it a try. If you use something like Audirvana in Direct Mode, turn Bluetooth and wireless off, and if available use a different bus, you may be surprised. On my laptop it leaves the optical output in the dust unlike with other DACs.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #4,428 of 12,405
My Yggy will be here tomorrow says the tracking number!!   I can hardly wait!!!     Going' round and round about USB converter boxes....but then I read about how Jason says the inputs should all perform the same.  I pull my files from a MAC Mini...want the Yggy to perform the best it can.

Settling in and getting used to Yggy's performance with the built in Gen 3 USB makes a lot of sense. The overall performance is outstanding.

Though I am thrilled with the Dante Ethernet interface, I think there's no rush. Options for file delivery via outboard boxes are many, over the months there will be many more, and they will continue to get better.

IMO
YMWV

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #4,429 of 12,405
Thanks you guys for the advice.   This will be an upgrade from my Oppo HA-1.  I will still be using that Class A Amp in the Oppo just not the Sabre DAC in there.  I should probably get familiar with how the Yggy fits into my system so I can appreciate changes made with USB converter boxes.  Since my Mac mini is my only source (gave up vinyl almost two decades ago) for Digital files I should listen to what the Yggy can do on it's own....I don't really want a separate Endpoint like a Ethernet interface because I don't want to listen wirelessly.  I have a dedicated theater system and don't require music in every room of the house....Frankly don't understand the attraction to that.

Also looking forward to hearing what the Yggy can do for Speaker listening! 

Mar 20, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #4,430 of 12,405
Thanks you guys for the advice.   This will be an upgrade from my Oppo HA-1.  I will still be using that Class A Amp in the Oppo just not the Sabre DAC in there.  I should probably get familiar with how the Yggy fits into my system so I can appreciate changes made with USB converter boxes.  Since my Mac mini is my only source (gave up vinyl almost two decades ago) for Digital files I should listen to what the Yggy can do on it's own....I don't really want a separate Endpoint like a Ethernet interface because I don't want to listen wirelessly.  I have a dedicated theater system and don't require music in every room of the house....Frankly don't understand the attraction to that.

Also looking forward to hearing what the Yggy can do for Speaker listening! 
Ethernet is a wired connection.

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #4,431 of 12,405
Settling in and getting used to Yggy's performance with the built in Gen 3 USB makes a lot of sense. The overall performance is outstanding.

Though I am thrilled with the Dante Ethernet interface, I think there's no rush. Options for file delivery via outboard boxes are many, over the months there will be many more, and they will continue to get better.

IMO
YMWV

Yeah if there would be an interface other than USB where I don't have to switch the sampling rates manually, that'd have made me switch to ethernet audio. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #4,432 of 12,405
  A question about burn-in.  I've read in this thread that multiple folks have said this unit requires a couple of hundred hours of burn-in to sound its best.

I assume the requirement for "burn-in" here is for signal to be passing through it, as opposed to just being left on?  I understand that the manual requests that the Yggy should be left on 24x7.

It actually just needs to be left powered on...the DAC chips start to do their magic after they've been at optimum operating temperature for 200-300 hours. This is for a new, out of the box Yggy only. Once past this initial "warm up", you can get away with 48-72 hours. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,433 of 12,405
I did my Yggdrasil burn-in playing music when I was around. I played a track put out by IsoTek that exercised the whole audio gamut when I wasn't listening. For burn-in, I would think that playing actual music or an "exerciser" would be a good idea versus just leaving it powered on. I would think that signals and signal levels change inside the DAC when tracks are playing.

Who knows....it could all be hocus pocus!

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #4,434 of 12,405
  I did my Yggdrasil burn-in playing music when I was around. I played a track put out by IsoTek that exercised the whole audio gamut when I wasn't listening. For burn-in, I would think that playing actual music or an "exerciser" would be a good idea versus just leaving it powered on. I would think that signals and signal levels change inside the DAC when tracks are playing.

Who knows....it could all be hocus pocus!

the signal level change stuff is hocus pocus according to Mike M...the thermal optimization, not so much. If you want to play music thru it while you are not around, that is your call, but it won't speed anything up or make it sound any better than it would without music being played thru it. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #4,435 of 12,405
  the signal level change stuff is hocus pocus according to Mike M...the thermal optimization, not so much. If you want to play music thru it while you are not around, that is your call, but it won't speed anything up or make it sound any better than it would without music being played thru it. 

If the signal level stuff is hocus pocus, then all the Yggdrasil should need to sound how it is going to sound is 48 hours to thermally stabilize. That hasn't been the case. It wasn't with my unit nor with many other folks units.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #4,436 of 12,405
So the Yggy has landed under a "B" in the stereophile recommended components for the year:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2017-edition-digital-processors#Yw3ocR5WDdL1QMQ4.97

Schiit Audio Yggdrasil: $2299

Is high-end audio ready for a company whose all-out statement DAC costs just $2299? Ready or not, the Yggdrasil is here, offering what Schiit Audio describes as a true "21 bits of resolution" and proprietary digital filtering, implemented on an Analog Devices processor, that retains rather than destroys "all the original samples." Also featured is a hefty regulated power-supply section built around twin transformers: one each for the digital and analog supplies. Input signals of resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz are accepted. According to HR, in contrast with the "grainlessness" of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC, "the Schiit's sound was slightly textured, and dynamic contrasts were less evident." That said, Herb also observed that the "Yggdrasil exposed melodic lines . . . and human voices—also better than any DAC I've heard costing less than five grand." JA's measurements comprised a mixed report, his praise of the Schiit's "superbly well designed" analog circuitry set against his impression of "digital circuitry [that] is not fully optimized." (Vol.40 No.2 WWW)

This is rated lower than the Hugo TT, Brooklyn Mytek, DAC2, to note a few.

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #4,437 of 12,405
So the Yggy has landed under a "B" in the stereophile recommended components for the year:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/recommended-components-2017-edition-digital-processors#Yw3ocR5WDdL1QMQ4.97

Schiit Audio Yggdrasil: $2299

Is high-end audio ready for a company whose all-out statement DAC costs just $2299? Ready or not, the Yggdrasil is here, offering what Schiit Audio describes as a true "21 bits of resolution" and proprietary digital filtering, implemented on an Analog Devices processor, that retains rather than destroys "all the original samples." Also featured is a hefty regulated power-supply section built around twin transformers: one each for the digital and analog supplies. Input signals of resolutions up to 24-bit/192kHz are accepted. According to HR, in contrast with the "grainlessness" of the Mytek Brooklyn DAC, "the Schiit's sound was slightly textured, and dynamic contrasts were less evident." That said, Herb also observed that the "Yggdrasil exposed melodic lines . . . and human voices—also better than any DAC I've heard costing less than five grand." JA's measurements comprised a mixed report, his praise of the Schiit's "superbly well designed" analog circuitry set against his impression of "digital circuitry [that] is not fully optimized." (Vol.40 No.2 WWW)

This is rated lower than the Hugo TT, Brooklyn Mytek, DAC2, to note a few.

Can assume who have paid for the rankings.

Benchmark veiled crap as A+. Wat a joke stereophile article...

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,438 of 12,405
Can assume who have paid for the rankings.

Benchmark veiled crap as A+. Wat a joke stereophile article...

This^

I do not trust this article.

Mar 21, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #4,439 of 12,405
I don't understand why many people say yggy' USB is bad.

Without anyother external devices like the USB cleaners, jitter removers, digital to digital converters, every input sound the same to me.

However, there was an improvement with the Mutec MC3 USB connected to the AES the sound especially in the treble area was very noticable with the cymbals having a more realistic feeling. It sounded like the drummer was in my room.

Okay, so my point is the yggy can be improved in sound quality while it has nothing to do with the input connectors being bad (USB input as others claim). But, on the other hand. If you have a very noisy USB port from your pc or whatever this would degrade the sound quality.

Mar 21, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #4,440 of 12,405
I don't understand why many people say yggy' USB is bad.

Without anyother external devices like the USB cleaners, jitter removers, digital to digital converters, every input sound the same to me.

However, there was an improvement with the Mutec MC3 USB connected to the AES the sound especially in the treble area was very noticable with the cymbals having a more realistic feeling. It sounded like the drummer was in my room.

Okay, so my point is the yggy can be improved in sound quality while it has nothing to do with the input connectors being bad (USB input as others claim). But, on the other hand. If you have a very noisy USB port from your pc or whatever this would degrade the sound quality.

The problem isn't with the Yggdrasil's USB implementation as it is quite good. The problem is with USB. It seems that using a quality DDC to handle the USB crappiness and converting the digital music information to a signal the DAC can better process is a win in regards to sound quality. With the Yggdrasil, the AES/EBU interface appears to be best. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back