Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Mar 21, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #4,471 of 12,405
I really hate it when people play the "new here" card. Give it a rest......

Why don't you explain why it takes hundreds of hours to burn in the Yggdrasil yet playing music through it makes no difference during that process.

I don't have to, the designer of the DAC said this himself. Do a search and find the answers.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #4,472 of 12,405
snip
  Why don't you explain why it takes hundreds of hours to burn in the Yggdrasil yet playing music through it makes no difference during that process.

I posted my grasp of just this subject in the Cookbook thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/781268/the-diyrs-cookbook/300#post_12384903

But also let me add this additional thought.

Every component in a new piece of gear has very few hrs of operational time, in the circuit it now
finds itself.
True they were tested by the manufacturer for functional and operational conformity and to hopefully weed out the early infant mortality casualties.
And none of this initial testing by the manufacturer is going to be even close to the operating conditions those individual parts will be operating under, while in the final product we wind up with.
And true enough after assembly most gear is burned in at the factory for xxxhrs. to help weed out yet more of those early infant failures.

Still the observed behavior that has been repeatedly reported is that the Jggy needs about a week of continually being 'ON' before the real magic happens, and I posit that attaining the full benefit of burn in (or whatever terms you wish to use) takes longer.

IOW all of the active, and passive components are getting acclimated to the electrical 'environment' they will be operating within.
This includes the range of, and the dynamic interaction between, the voltages, current, frequencies, temperatures, magnetic fields, etc. they will now be operating within.

And none of these components are 'fixed' with relation to each other in how they respond to changes to all of these parameters, and my supposition is that they 'settle into' a more fixed pattern of response(s) to these variable parameters, as they gain operational hrs.

Which implies that a signal being passed thru the device is a necessary aspect of all this, which in turn means it isn't just the number of hrs the device is 'on' but how long has it been operating, and not just idling.

Just a few thoughts to ponder.

JJ

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,473 of 12,405
Today, i finally got to do some measurement work with my Yggdrasil, looking at the USB input specifically, and doing the classic 11khz sine tone at -3.5db with and without Intona Galvanized USB showed some interesting result !

Unfortunately I dont have regen or lps-1 to test that combo too, could be interesting.. but too expencive for me to get just to test. The gustard u12 with and without Intona feeding AES to Yggdrasil was barely measurable difference using Intona and not towards the U12. However the buildup of the 11khz sine wave is sharper with Intona on the U12 than without.

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #4,474 of 12,405
My very long overdue Yggy review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/schiit-audio-yggdrasil/reviews/18270

Quote:

A question about burn-in.  I've read in this thread that multiple folks have said this unit requires a couple of hundred hours of burn-in to sound its best.

I assume the requirement for "burn-in" here is for signal to be passing through it, as opposed to just being left on?  I understand that the manual requests that the Yggy should be left on 24x7.

For the years I've been experimenting with this stuff, I'm pretty convinced that it is either heat, or just being left on that has the effect.

Can assume who have paid for the rankings.

Benchmark veiled crap as A+. Wat a joke stereophile article...

Schiit advertises in Stereophile, so it's not that. I thought it might be that it was because it doesn't do DSD or other hype formats, but they have the Audio Note DAC 2.1x Signature in the "A" category which doesn't do any of that either, and it IS in the recommended components list. It might have been more telling if it weren't.

The Yggy internal USB is as bad as everyone says it is, and a detriment to how good the Yggy can actually sound.

Sorry, I should have quoted this post. Is this what everyone says?

The Gen 3 is good enough I sold my Audiophilleo converter. It isn't as good as some of the newer converters though. I think it is simply that USB has made a lot of progress + the Yggy is resolving enough that it becomes much easier to make out small differences.

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,475 of 12,405
Fun review to read.
Can't wait to get my Yggy.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #4,476 of 12,405
For the years I've been experimenting with this stuff, I'm pretty convinced that it is either heat, or just being left on that has the effect

The Gen 3 is good enough I sold my Audiophilleo converter. It isn't as good as some of the newer converters though. I think it is simply that USB has made a lot of progress + the Yggy is resolving enough that it becomes much easier to make out small differences.

Can't believe you are selling your Audiophilleo after what I read on Darko's USB converter box shoot out! The Audiophilleo plus their companion LPS was given 95/100!!! Supposedly making a desernable difference. The combo all but beat out some multi thousand $ unit I can't remember the name of. I was looking at either the Singxer SU-1 or the Mutec 3 which @ $1100 is way more than I want to spend. My Yggy is only 24 hours old so I want to get used it before any more damn rabbit holes!:p

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,478 of 12,405
Mar 23, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4,480 of 12,405
  I want to buy a yggdrasil, do I need a yggdrasil?

subscribed.

Need? I wanted an Yggdrasil and bought one. I am not sorry I did....

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,483 of 12,405
  I want to buy a yggdrasil, do I need a yggdrasil?

You don't "need" one, but odds are that you'd really enjoy one. Do think about the overall system, though, the Yggy would make you sad about mediocre sources, amps, or transducers.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #4,484 of 12,405
TME/IMHO/YMMV Yggy has unique sound-retrieval capabilities as its point of difference. The engineering and filter are unique, so it is not surprising Yggy sounds different from most (read delta-sigma) implementations, and different even from other multi-bit solutions. You can read about these differences in this thread. Btw, some hear these differences strongly, others hardly at all.

audiojun: whether these are differences that matter to you only you can decide on hearing it. Of course, allowing suitable time for thermal stabilization before reaching a final decision :)

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #4,485 of 12,405
LOL. Nice one audiojun! Guessing we are not the only ones contemplating that question.

I have no doubt that every house on earth (w. a reliable power supply) "needs" an Yggdrasil - the glorious tree of life and revelations.
But I for sure find it difficult to find the perspective necessary to decide how MUCH I need it. (I will return to this)

After reading currawong's fine review, I (once again) got convinced and thought "I def'nately need that in my system".

A bit 'bout me and my philosophy.
For some years now, I have been hunting for my personal, subjective end-game DAC to relieve my trusty ol' student-budget V-DAC. Used w. rPI w coaxHAT+HDD w. FLAC, CD player, Airport express optical and macbookPro USB or optical.
I am a big fan of stuff that is designed and built to last generations. For me a relatively high purchasing cost for such an object can be justified by the many years of everyday joy it brings. By not getting disposed off together with all the waste-of-space-and-resources-cheap-charlie flavor-of-the-month products that are so tempting for the masses. Also an object, which perform a function wanted in society very well, will always keep a high resale value.

LOL :joy:I just realised that I am justifying buying An Yggdrasil in perhaps the only place on earth where there is no need. -Amongst the already elevated crowd of Yggdrasil owners.

In Denmark and the EU Schiit's not as cheap, which makes the step up from Gungnir MB to Yggdrasil extra tall. (Yes I know their nick names, but -since Schiit so carefully chose the coolest names in the audio for these - I like to use them.)
This is one of the reasons why I the only schiit dac I have heard is the dingleberry which i liked and found to have the edge over my MOJOs USB.

Its also why I have to rely on you good people make my decision.

Back to the perspective thing.

If one MAX. have 2500$ to make a digital audio chain for a two channel system. How should one spend those silvers?

Streamers/DDT/decrapifyer(s) SQ improvements VS. DAC Sound Quality improvements in SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back