Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #871 of 12,389
Sep 5, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #874 of 12,389
Has anybody tried connecting iPad/iPhone directly to Yggy? I used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/360693139385?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT to connect iPad directly to Yggy using normal charging cable that comes with it but nothing happens at either of the ends. 

Please help.

Sep 5, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #875 of 12,389
Has anybody tried connecting iPad/iPhone directly to Yggy? I used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/360693139385?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT to connect iPad directly to Yggy using normal charging cable that comes with it but nothing happens at either of the ends. 

Please help.

You didn't mention which iPad you have, even so look here…

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202037
and here
http://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/news/13095021-ipad-streams-high-resolution-audio-to-benchmark-dac1
and
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/ipad-digital-audio-out-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-21838/

JJ

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #876 of 12,389

Please help.

You'll need to use the Apple camera connection kit.  A usb cable by itself will only work with Apple compatible devices, which the Yggy is not.

It will also depend on whether the Yggy draws power from thru the USB connection.  If it does, you'll need to also use a powered usb hub.  If it does not draw power, then the camera connection kit should do the trick.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #877 of 12,389
  You'll need to use the Apple camera connection kit.  A usb cable by itself will only work with Apple compatible devices, which the Yggy is not.

It will also depend on whether the Yggy draws power from thru the USB connection.  If it does, you'll need to also use a powered usb hub.  If it does not draw power, then the camera connection kit should do the trick.

"only work with Apple compatible devices, which the Yggy is not."

I've seen forum posts of users using Yggy with mac mini.  
Will the Yggy play alac and aiff?

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #878 of 12,389
I have a dock made by Pure that takes the iOS device and and has an optical out. I then go via optical to my Gungnir 2, works well. 

Here's a video I did of this a while back:

It has the 30-pin connector but you can also get a 30-pin to Lighting cable and you would be all set. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #879 of 12,389

"only work with Apple compatible devices, which the Yggy is not."

I've seen forum posts of users using Yggy with mac mini.  
Will the Yggy play alac and aiff?

My previous reply was specific to the iPad, which would need the apple connection kit to work with the Yggy.  I have the apple compatible Cypherlabs Solo -dB which can take the digital out from an iPhone or iPad and does not need the camera connection kit.

A mac mini would work just fine with the Yggy and would need only a standard usb cable to connect.  

The Yggy does not care how your music is stored (alac, aiff, flac, etc.) - it just takes the digital output from whatever player software you are using.  The player software is responsible for decoding the your music (aiff, alac, flac, etc.) into the digital bit stream that the Yggy sees.   The mac mini comes with iTunes player software, which can play both aiff and alac formatted files.

Sep 6, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #880 of 12,389
I had Gungnir prior to Yggy and was connected to both - a first generation Squeezebox (SB) and my Vizio smart TV. And since I listen to Pandora a lot, I always felt that Pandora via my TV was always better than via SB. Now that I have Yggy, I noticed that when I play anything through SB, the 44 (sample rate indicator) light is lit while when I use TV, 48 light is lit.

And I still notice that anything via TV is better than SB. Does that mean SB does not support 48 and I will have to look at replacement of my digital front-end because I do not want to switch on TV all the time when I listen to music?
Any help/insight will be greatly appreciated. 

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #881 of 12,389
  I have a dock made by Pure that takes the iOS device and and has an optical out. I then go via optical to my Gungnir 2, works well. 

Here's a video I did of this a while back:

It has the 30-pin connector but you can also get a 30-pin to Lighting cable and you would be all set. 

Will the i 20 take an iPod with an external case attached?

Sep 6, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #882 of 12,389
Will the i 20 take an iPod with an external case attached?

Probably not but you can also get a 30pin extension cable. I use one when connectioning my iPad and it works well.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #883 of 12,389
Another ygg sold!
Moving up from a bifrost, I have very high expectations for the ygg. I'm a younger hifier so it's digital for me.

I'll soon be looking to upgrade from the lyr2 to a balanced amplifier for the cans (hd800). I guess the ragnarok is the easy answer. Are ygg owners is agreement about the combo being the schiit?

Also, to answer your question hifimckinney
I had Gungnir prior to Yggy and was connected to both - a first generation Squeezebox (SB) and my Vizio smart TV. And since I listen to Pandora a lot, I always felt that Pandora via my TV was always better than via SB. Now that I have Yggy, I noticed that when I play anything through SB, the 44 (sample rate indicator) light is lit wh...

With such a powerfull dac you'd be wise to feed it better source . A micro pc is usually how people go . Mac or win w/e and play music from preferably a better streaming service. Most online streaming or satellite is very low bandwidth. Spotify premium or tidal would be my recommendations; leaning towards the latter. TV and video games are generally at 16/48. There's really not much avaliable to play back at higer rates unless you digitally purchase hifi releases and to be honest most of those albums are some Yanni schiit :wink:

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #884 of 12,389
Another ygg sold!
Moving up from a bifrost, I have very high expectations for the ygg. I'm a younger hifier so it's digital for me.

Is that a regular Bifrost or an Uber?  

Please, please don't forget to post a comparison.  I'm wondering whether that's the next move I should make.

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #885 of 12,389
Hello People,
I have a Yggy and love it!

I wonder what's the effect of having a sub connected to the RCA output of the Yggy - while the balanced outs go to my main Stereo amplifier?

I know that the Yggy's single ended outputs are summed, and wonder if that means there's a tiny delay between the sub and speakers? 
I have the sub crossed at 75Hz, which means there's some overlap between it and the main speakers (B&W CM10s2).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back