Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Sep 9, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #902 of 12,405
its hard to do the long warm up here in florida , a lot of thunderstorms  throughout the day and everyday .
Perhaps a UPS would help out during these initial breakin hrs.
And at ≈ 30watts even a modest ups should provide a modicum of extra hrs of cook time.

JJ

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #903 of 12,405
I noticed last night that while browsing online using my WA5 + YGGY that while the webpage was open i expeirenced added noise - the noise floor was considerably higher. Then when i closed the webpage the noise lessened. I am wondering how much noise the laptop in general adds to the signal. I had not noticed this before with other DACs but it is glaringly obvious with yggy.

Im also wondering if the Schiit wyrd can illiminate this noise? Is it USB noise or just the noise of my laptop? Anyone hjave any suggestions?

Paddy.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #904 of 12,405
I noticed last night that while browsing online using my WA5 + YGGY that while the webpage was open i expeirenced added noise - the noise floor was considerably higher. Then when i closed the webpage the noise lessened. I am wondering how much noise the laptop in general adds to the signal. I had not noticed this before with other DACs but it is glaringly obvious with yggy.

Im also wondering if the Schiit wyrd can illiminate this noise? Is it USB noise or just the noise of my laptop? Anyone hjave any suggestions?

Paddy.

My Raspberry Pi2 + Runeaudio is much quieter than my MacBook Pro with just iTunes opened. While the likes of Wyrd, Jitterbug, Regen which reduce noise/jitter down the line, using Pi as a music server reduce noise from the source.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #905 of 12,405
It is possible that a Schiit Wyrd might help with the noise. Adding a Jitterbug to the Wyrd might help as well. It all depends on how bad the source is (your laptop). If it's really bad nothing will completely solve this...

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #906 of 12,405
  I noticed last night that while browsing online using my WA5 + YGGY that while the webpage was open I experienced added noise - the noise floor was considerably higher. Then when i closed the webpage the noise lessened. I am wondering how much noise the laptop in general adds to the signal. I had not noticed this before with other DACs but it is glaringly obvious with Yggy.

I'm also wondering if the Schiit Wyrd can eliminate this noise? Is it USB noise or just the noise of my laptop? Anyone have any suggestions?

Paddy.

Purpose built, modified C.A.P.S. v4 variant running W12R2, AO, JPlay, and ProcessLasso. No web browsing even possible that way = no noise :wink:

Honestly though, it'd be hard to say what something like the Wyrd, iUSBPower, Regen, or AQ Jitterbug could do. I have the iUSBPower and Regen and although I found they improved the listening experience, I didn't have the noise issue you have. Maybe they could help, but that added noise is presumably coming from the processor and is load related, which has no direct relation with a USB bus, so I'm inclined to think one of the above devices isn't the solution to your problem. But who knows, and they're all cheap :-D

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #907 of 12,405
Another ygg sold!
..I'll soon be looking to upgrade from the lyr2 to a balanced amplifier for the cans (hd800). I guess the ragnarok is the easy answer. Are ygg owners is agreement about the combo being the schiit?...

Well if you like a powerful presentation with weight then Rag is nice, but it depends on what is your main headphones...
If a planar like the Ether then yes good combo...
If an HD800 I would go tubes...
The yggy shines with resolving gear..

Sidenote,
I have been playing musiv 24hr continuous for over a month and decided to "press pause" to see if yggy would be any cooler, as whole unit get warm.
But unit did not feel any cooler.
Anyways I was wondering if anyone else leaves music playing nonstop.
:)

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #908 of 12,405
-Snip-
Anyways I was wondering if anyone else leaves music playing nonstop.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do.

Only because it is a bitch to set up a new network without an internet connection on my Mac Mini for using Audirvana Remote if I turn the computer off. So I let it keep playing on repeat to keep everything working.

Whether it helps SQ, I can't tell you. I can say it hasn't hurt.

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #909 of 12,405
I'm now another week or two into enjoying this Yggdrasil. I still remain a bit blown away by how my listening enjoyment jumped again with this added. I see that there is some commentary about one headphone vs another being better or worse with this DAC. I know I'm a noob in the headphone world... but I haven't noticed any degradation in my enjoyment of any of the styles of headphones I use... dynamic or planar even. It really just seems to just reveal so much more that I had been missing.

I did actually have to use an external source to power the USB line in to the Yggdrasil. I had a powered hub at first. Just a typical one we all would use for our computers. Decided to purchase the Wyrd. Can't say that I can hear a difference personally. But I am either not supposed to be able to... or I am just not as discerning as many of the rest of you guys.

Excited to put this DAC head to head with a few other things just for fun. I will try to post... and with time... may get better at describing what I am hearing better than... "more fun to listen to."

CaptainCB

Sep 10, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #910 of 12,405
thanks for the responses guys

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #914 of 12,405
Any comparisons between Yggdrasil and any of the Aqua line?  Scala or Voce?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back