Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #1,141 of 12,344
The yggy definitely has an azure background. Yggy's azure background doesn't pop out unless you've heard the crimson background of the Gungnir.

color hex code of the yggy's background is #F0FFFF (240, 255, 255).

This is an unbiased fact from someone who has heard every dac in the world.

I think you are all wrong, the giggy has no backgroud whatsoever, everything floats in the foreground. Which btw is colorless. Word! :D

And I find it interesting that the gray background impression got so much attention and requests for proof from high-up. I thought we were not supposed to bother the fine gents who post "impressions" with questions of proof/measurements, etc. Got some very friendly PMs from Currawong for doing just that... with deleted posts, temp bans & other enjoyable goodies.
But if you want that can open, how about proof for the rest of about 50K wild "impressions" around here? Like the ones about cables.
Or to keep it ontopic, how about measurements/proof for the other "facts" which are so "well known" in this thread? Like the iggy filters being better than all others, or the moffat bass being the best in the house, or that funky week-long warmup, or the R2R DACs being somehow inherently better than all others, or...
I'll be here all week. Unless of course I get banned/deleted again for questioning "impressions" and asking the wrong, annoying questions :D

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #1,142 of 12,344
It's a conspiracy! Run!!!!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 14, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,143 of 12,344
It's a conspiracy! Run!!!!

I dont have enough free time to care about conspiracies :)
And I am all for measurements/proof and also 100% for qualifying those impressions with a "for my ears only" disclaimer. I was simply pointing at some stinky double standards. Anyway, like I said, I'll be here all week ...

P.S.
How about adding a sibling Measurements/Proof thread to every one of those special Impressions threads? You can put it in the Science forum and just link it somehow. Sounds like a win-win to me. People who want and can read measurements will have their cookies and those with ears full of gold can just stay in the "normal" forum section and keep their hearing free of "useless" graphs. .

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #1,144 of 12,344
Getting kinda tense around here.  The Romanian vampire contingent
engaged in obsessive buzz kill.   That proctologist guy threatening to
be around all week.  Thank god Yggy can transport me from all this;
as a matter of undisputable fact, during a late night Bill Frisell listening
session, it occured to me, that perhaps, the Foot-long Mega Burrito
Supersauce Digital Filter is a door to a dimension not only of sight
and sound but of mind.  A journey into a wondrous land whose
boundries are that of imagination.  That's a signpost up ahead:
your next stop, the SCHIIT ZONE.

ahhhhhh escape, think I'll have a cheeeeseburger.............

Oct 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #1,147 of 12,344
The real conspiracy is....wait for it... I'm planning to by an Yggdrasil! I've actually been intending to do so since I auditioned one at CanJam SoCal. I have been waiting until I had moved to a bigger place so I would have more room for it.

Quote:
  And I find it interesting that the gray background impression got so much attention and requests for proof from high-up.

I didn't ask for proof, I asked for more detailed impressions, because it's an impressions thread, ya know? People buy stuff because of impressions, so they are important. The more info when posting them the better.

This is what I posted:
 At the very least though, I'd like more specifics on your comment as Jason suggested. A lot of people are interested in comparisons of the Yggy with other DACs, especially more expensive ones, so the effort would be most welcome. 
smile.gif

The timing of Jude's post was purely coincidental. We don't call each other up and say "Let's take down that prot guy on the forums because he is dissing our mate Jason." or anything like that. Jason is a big boy anyhow...bigger than me IIRC (and Mike friggin' huge!) so they don't need our help. 
wink_face.gif

I think US Blues posted a good thought about recordings. I have some direct-to-tape recordings from Metaxas which have a lot of background noise. I've found that a better DAC doesn't necessarily improve the listening experience with them. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #1,148 of 12,344
How about adding a sibling Measurements/Proof thread to every one of those special Impressions threads?

If you are aware of a measurement that can demonstrate 100% correlation with better sound, then you are entitled to use the word "proof" in that sentence.

I am not aware of such a measurement, and I think we are still a few decades away from them.

Such things as today's announcement of the self-driving car makes people - especially younger ones - think that measurements and technology can do everything possible - right now!

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #1,149 of 12,344
why 100% - lots of science works with correlations, statistical significance far short of 100%

and on the "naive subjectist" "just listen" side there's a bit less than 100% agreement on anything either

Oct 15, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #1,150 of 12,344
Pardon the interruption, but I wanted to leave some short impressions on the Yggdrasil/Wyrd and Schiit.

I purchased the Yggdrasil/Wyrd a little over 1 year after I auditioned and returned a DS Gungnir. Any/all reservations I had about the perceived harshness of the DS Gungnir being indicative of Schiit voicing or a "house sound" were quickly washed away.

If you have the means, give the Yggy a whirl. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Count me on the list of people that returned your $$$ DAC, but came back to buy your $$$$ DAC. Great customer service and the in-home audition on order #1 went a long way towards making me open to order #2. Kudos for building a great product as well as a great business.

Caveats:
I've not listened to the Yggdrasil without the Wyrd. I plugged them in on day 1 and decided that listening to music was more fun than the cable swap game.
I haven't turned off the Yggdrasil since I first plugged it in.
I spent some small amount of time using the DAC before the mentioned break in period, largely using it for computer games. Clearly not critical listening, but it sounded fine to me, *shrug*

P.S. Thanks for not making a $$$$$ DAC. I'd have a hard time taking one seriously.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #1,151 of 12,344
I've had the Yggy for about 3 months now and love every moment- my personal impression is that there's no 'grey background'...but I'm listening with proper speakers etc.

One quick question, did anyone try posh power cables wit the Yggy? I'm thinking of getting a Nordost Blue Heaven - which I like and made noticeable improvement with my amps. Would it make a difference?

Thanks,

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,152 of 12,344
My Yggy will be here TOMORROW!!!! Can't wait!! It will be interesting to compare it to my other multibit Gungnirs, in my 5-way active system. I will be using Yggy for the tweeters, as I feel, in my opinion, that Yggy will give me the best bang for the buck with high frequencies.

I feel, in my opinion, based on my experiences, haha, that the tweeters play an extremely important role in focus, imaging, soundstaging, and ambient cues. Bass also plays an important part, but for now my first Yggy will replace my tweeter Gumby from 1kHz to 20kHz+.

Cheers!

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #1,153 of 12,344
  I've had the Yggy for about 3 months now and love every moment- my personal impression is that there's no 'grey background'...but I'm listening with proper speakers etc.

One quick question, did anyone try posh power cables wit the Yggy? I'm thinking of getting a Nordost Blue Heaven - which I like and made noticeable improvement with my amps. Would it make a difference?

Thanks,

I've tried both PS Audio AC-5 & AC-10 power cables on my Yggy, with the AC-10 being the better as it removed a bit of top end hash - reducing some perceived stridency from the Yggy's treble region.  The overall presented image also seemed to deepen a bit compared to the AC-5.

So I'd say yes - power cables do have a sonic effect when paired with Yggy.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,154 of 12,344
I've tried both PS Audio AC-5 & AC-10 power cables on my Yggy, with the AC-10 being the better as it removed a bit of top end hash - reducing some perceived stridency from the Yggy's treble region.  The overall presented image also seemed to deepen a bit compared to the AC-5.

So I'd say yes - power cables do have a sonic effect when paired with Yggy.

Thanks mate,
I don't feel my Yggy had any hashness but will give it a go anyway :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back