Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Oct 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #1,111 of 12,188
Of course, there are people out there (sadly myself not included!) who are able to afford the car and the DAC that costs the same as the car, making them a valid purchase option for some.

To me it's never a valid purchase option because I believe that just because I have the ability to afford things doesn't mean I should spend the money. You know, being smart with money and all that jazz.

Like spending ridiculous amounts of money just for the brand name and status symbol, when you could get an off-brand version for a fraction of the price.

Of course, people will always say "it's my money I earned it so I get to do what I like with it herpa derpa," and I whole-heartedly agree with that statement, and someone might think $10,000 DACS are worth their money

However I also have the right to hold an opinion of you if you decide to make it known or brag about it :wink:

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #1,112 of 12,188
Some of the recent posts lamenting Yggy's
unclear slightly grey sound call into question
the poster's motives and or problems.  I am
awestruck by the engaging dynamic/tone
you are there quality that the addition of Yggy
has given my tube/spkrs. set up. Nothing
subtle, undeniable crystal clear musicality.
Perhaps rhythmic breathing, metamuscil,
and a visit to a qualified audiologist should
be considered before forking over $7,000 +
for a dac.  No offense intended to anyone.
Just trying to help.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,113 of 12,188
  Some of the recent posts lamenting Yggy's
unclear slightly grey sound call into question
the poster's motives and or problems.  I am
awestruck by the engaging dynamic/tone
you are there quality that the addition of Yggy
has given my tube/spkrs. set up. Nothing
subtle, undeniable crystal clear musicality.
Perhaps rhythmic breathing, metamuscil,
and a visit to a qualified audiologist should
be considered before forking over $7,000 +
for a dac.  No offense intended to anyone.
Just trying to help.

Yggy's grey background doesn't pop out unless you've heard better. When you do hear better, it's quite obvious

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,114 of 12,188
  Yggy's grey background doesn't pop out unless you've heard better. When you do hear better, it's quite obvious

In my experience, there is no "grey background."

Remember:

1. This is only my opinion.
2. I am biased, like everyone else.
3. I have not heard everything in the world.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #1,115 of 12,188

In my experience, there is no "grey background."

Remember:

beerchug.gif
 I could say exactly the same:

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #1,116 of 12,188

beerchug.gif
 I could say exactly the same:

EVERYONE should say this before every comparative product pronouncement, in my opinion. Including pro reviewers.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,119 of 12,188

EVERYONE should say this before every comparative product pronouncement, in my opinion. Including pro reviewers.

Well, for me it's like stating the obvious. It's impossible for a human being to be 100% objective and unbiased. We all have past experiences and personal tastes. It's also impossible to hear everything in the world

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,120 of 12,188
  Well, for me it's like stating the obvious. It's impossible for a human being to be 100% objective and unbiased. We all have past experiences and personal tastes. It's also impossible to hear everything in the world

It is in no way obvious.

This:

Yggy's grey background doesn't pop out unless you've heard better. When you do hear better, it's quite obvious.

Is a statement of absolute fact, in a tone of total certainty. It is a pronouncement. It causes the hair to rise up on the back of some people's necks. It causes shotguns to be pulled out of closets in some cases.

Expressing it in clear terms of:

1. It is only my opinion.

Like this: In my opinion, Yggy does seem to have a a grey background, unlike some other DACs like (name of DACs), which are better for my individual preferences, but of course I (did/did not) hear them (at the same time/in the same system/in the same mood).

This invites discussion. The hair stays down. The shotguns stay in the closet. Everyone benefits.

Oct 13, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #1,121 of 12,188
I will end with my own inviting-discussion statement. I write all the copy for Schiit Audio (amongst other things.) When I wrote, "go ahead, compare Yggy to any DAC on the planet," this was based on:

1. Personal comparative listening with other DACs in the same system at the same time, including car-priced models.
2. Specific knowledge of the reference recordings used (was at session, or knew details of session, familiar with the sound of the instrument(s) live, etc.)
3. Feedback from early listeners comparing Yggy with other megadollar DACs in the same system at the same time.

Now, did I write, "Yggy is the best DAC in the world!" 

No.

Because I know that no DAC is "the best DAC in the world." Different people have different preferences. And, you know what? There's something for everyone out there.

In my opinion, of course I'm biased, and I haven't heard everything.... 

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,122 of 12,188

It is in no way obvious.

This:

Yggy's grey background doesn't pop out unless you've heard better. When you do hear better, it's quite obvious.

Is a statement of absolute fact, in a tone of total certainty. It is a pronouncement. It causes the hair to rise up on the back of some people's necks. It causes shotguns to be pulled out of closets in some cases.

Expressing it in clear terms of:

1. It is only my opinion.

Like this: In my opinion, Yggy does seem to have a a grey background, unlike some other DACs like (name of DACs), which are better for my individual preferences, but of course I (did/did not) hear them (at the same time/in the same system/in the same mood).

This invites discussion. The hair stays down. The shotguns stay in the closet. Everyone benefits.

Well, you can translate my post into a mathematical/logical one:
Product A's performance on Area A is the best until YOU encounter better performance in Area A from another product (Product B). Hence, when you experience Product B it's quite obvious that Product A has less performance in Area A and that is no longer the best

Usain Bolt is and will be the best sprinter unless we see better. When we see better, it will be obvious that Usain Bolt isn't the best sprinter. This is an irrefutable certainty

It's a sad world we live in if mathematics and logic cause hair to rise up on the back of some people's necks or shotguns to be pulled out of closets 

Also, mentioning shotguns is a great conversation starter and is in no way offensing

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #1,123 of 12,188
  Well, you can translate my post into a mathematical/logical one:
Product A's performance on Area A is the best until YOU encounter better performance in Area A from another product (Product B). Hence, when you experience Product B it's quite obvious that Product A has less performance in Area A and that is no longer the best

Usain Bolt is and will be the best sprinter unless we see better. When we see better, it will be obvious that Usain Bolt isn't the best sprinter. This is an irrefutable certainty

It's a sad world we live in if mathematics and logic cause hair to rise up on the back of some people's necks or shotguns to be pulled out of closets 

Also, mentioning shotguns is a great conversation starter and is in no way offensing

We're not talking math or logic. We're talking opinions. 

When you show me a DAC with an SNR of say, 135dB (whereas Yggy is about 125ish), I will gladly concede the point that Yggy is inferior to that other DAC in terms of SNR. 

And now, if we could get back to Yggy impressions (yes, I know, I am guilty of the derail as well)...

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,124 of 12,188
Why are we talking about microphones? I thought we were talking about stuff after the music has gone into production. By the way, I've never used a shotgun microphone.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,125 of 12,188
Why everyone try to compare yggy to other 10-30k dacs. what is the argument? i want to see other 2k dac that can do what yggy do in 2k price. schiit gave us a perfect product in 2k price range. i dont say its the best dac in the world but in its price range its the best VFM out there, and not all of us is rich, in 2k a lot of us can buy this dac and get something that competitive to the other high end dacs. why is the comprasant, i would love to buy yggy if i have the money, no other dac in this price range will perform and give you what yggy has to offer, so i give schiit heads up, to make more exellent products for us high end chasers with small wallet... if you want to compare yggy compare it to other 2k dacs in the market, if schiit in the future will make another dac that cost 5k, 10k etc... than compare with with same price dacs out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back