Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:40 AM Post #10,426 of 12,237
Goodness. Always left yggy powered on. Last night....had signal going into USB over night. This does make a noticeable difference. Shocked.

Created a list of songs on pc hard drive set to shuffle and repeat when I turn off amps and preamp.
100%. It's not placebo... There's definitely an audible difference here with Yggy reaching equilibrium

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #10,427 of 12,237
On their live stream this evening (at the 10:40 mark), Mike states that they're almost done with development on the new Yggy boards, but are trying to sort through the highest priority items before wrapping them up. So, maybe it'll come in 2021 after all

It sounds like the new analog boards offer different “flavors”. Not necessarily better. After all, Mike likes one and Dave another.

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #10,428 of 12,237
If I was getting a Yggdrasil from the EU (240v) to use in the U.S., do I need to swap the fuses as well? I believe the person shipping it to me moved the jumpers around, but didn't say anything about replacing the fuse.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #10,429 of 12,237
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've posted. I'm not looking to open old wounds, but please allow me to ask.... In all likelihood only someone like @atomicbob , @Baldr , @johnjen or someone of that caliber would be qualified to reply.... we all know that @amirm of audio science review measurements were disputed, rebutted, dismissed, etc. for numerous reasons. However, there was one item in particular that @amirm mentioned "We see spikes at double the mains frequency of 60 Hz which indicates power supply noise bleeding into the output of the DAC." in this thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/ that never seemed to be disputed, rebutted, dismissed, etc. on this web site, super best friends, head-fi, or anywhere else I can find. So my question is, given the version 2 yggdrasil (B serial number), is there any power supply "problems", "issues", etc. Thank you all in advance for your kind consideration to my inquiry.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #10,430 of 12,237
I do believe Baldr addressed that specific issue a ways back and the 'B' upgrade dealt with it.

But those artifacts were supposedly -90dB and since it was ASR, I do question the veracity of the measured results.

Nor I have seen any other source of such data presented anywhere else to verify or refute those results.

JJ

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #10,431 of 12,237
I do believe Baldr addressed that specific issue a ways back and the 'B' upgrade dealt with it.

But those artifacts were supposedly -90dB and since it was ASR, I do question the veracity of the measured results.

Nor I have seen any other source of such data presented anywhere else to verify or refute those results.

JJ
Thank you, @johnjen . Would you happen to have a link to a web page where Baldr addressed the power supply issue? I do not recall any mention of the power supply with B release.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #10,432 of 12,237
Thank you, @johnjen . Would you happen to have a link to a web page where Baldr addressed the power supply issue?

JJ

This may be of interest for measurements, etc.

2017 Jan 1 - "Schiit Audio Yggdrasil D/A processor" - Stereophile - Herb Reichert
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-da-processor
"The random noise components lie at the level of my analyzer, and the only supply components that can be seen are at 120Hz, at –135dB in the left channel and –130dB in the right. This indicates excellent analog circuit design and circuit-board layout."

Sidebar 3: Measurements
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-da-processor-measurements

2018 Sep 18 - "The Analog 2 Upgrade" - Stereophile - Herb Reichert (Vol.41 No.9)
https://www.stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-yggdrasil-da-processor-analog-2-upgrade
(I don't see new measurements)
"The Analog 2 upgrade retained all of the original Yggdrasil's virtues, especially its force and drive, but with a new spiderweb delicacy, more lower-octave density, and, most important, a more complete transparency."

2018 Jun 7 - HeadFi - Jude - re: measurements
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-558#post-14289631
"The lowest step on the X-axis at which the plots in the above linearity error measurement remain within 1.00 dB of 0.0 is -122.000 dBFS (left) and -117.500 dBFS (right)."

"NOTE: Stereophile's audio measurements have been published and available for decades, their methods and results subject to peer review (they're public), and their methods occasionally helped along by other engineers in the industry. As such, their work has largely guided and informed our measurements of audio electronics, and will likely continue to. That said, I will endeavor to add interesting and novel measurements (well, novel outside of R&D labs), like examining out-of-band performance and behavior, the ability of DACs to tolerate jitter (jitter that we control to deliberately impair the signal), and more.

@amirm, you are a member of the trade (MOT), and we do not allow MOTs to criticize and/or attack other MOTs here. Again, it's clear to me that you have an agenda and strong bias, especially where Schiit Audio is concerned. The only reason I allowed your post (the one I'm quoting in this post) to remain is so that I could respond to it and maintain the context for my response.

Of course, you are welcome to do whatever you want on your website and forum, but (especially as you are a MOT) Head-Fi is not your dais to carry out your particular brand of bias. You seem to suggest that you let the measurements do all the talking, but I beg to differ. Sometimes your measurements fall silent in the shadow of your sensationalist narrative.

Again, the Schiit Audio Yggdrasil2 is a multi-bit DAC, and most of those who buy it are probably not buying it for the best measured performance, even though it does seem to me to measure well relative to other multi-bit DACs -- especially from its recommended balanced outputs. While plenty of other DACs are promoted by their makers as sporting 32-bit/768kHz DAC chips, Schiit Audio has always very openly described each of the Yggdrasil2's four AD5791 BRUZ DAC chips as 20-bit DACs. Your narrative suggests that you were perhaps the first to uncover the fact that multi-bit DACs generally do not measure as well as the delta-sigma types, as if it were a notion new to us all. It is not. Perhaps your next discovery is that tube amps don't measure as well as solid state ones? That turntables don't measure as well as digital sources?"

< EDIT >
I found these other links

2018-Feb Audio Science Review
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/measurements-and-review-of-schiit-yggdrasil-dac.2358/

2018-Feb-20
Schiit Yggdrasil V2 upgrade Technical Measurements Discussion

- in 'Source Measurements' started by atomicbob
http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/schiit-yggdrasil-v2-upgrade-technical-measurements.5820/

2018-Mar 1
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Digital-to-Analog Converter with Analog 2 Upgrade

Written by Erich Wetzel
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1139-schiit-audio-yggdrasil-digital-to-analog-converter-with-analog-2-upgrade

<EDIT #2 >
2018 Jun 17 - @gdhal
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread.766347/page-558#post-14289723

@jude

Interesting post of yours as rebuttal to amirm. Appreciate your allowing his post and various responses to continue within this thread. Please continue in that vain.

I'm inclined to agree with you (your posts), your measured data, and interpretation of same.

That said, do you have something to offer in response to amirm claim that there is (paraphrasing) power supply (measurable) leakage in and around 60Hz?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #10,433 of 12,237
Thank you, @johnjen . Would you happen to have a link to a web page where Baldr addressed the power supply issue? I do not recall any mention of the power supply with B release.
Schiit posts their own measurements on their site.

https://www.schiit.com/public/uploa...dard Test Suite_ Yggdrasil Analog 2_Gen 5.pdf

The 120hz noise is at -115? Surely not an issue. Though if I’m being honest you don’t buy Yggy for it’s measurements. You buy it for its great sound, it’s 5 year warranty and it’s upgradability.

Apr 21, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #10,434 of 12,237
Do any other Yggy owners experience a loud pop/thud on the single-ended outputs when the Yggy switches sample rates? My Yggy (Analog v2 USB v5) has done this ever since I got it but it hasn't bothered me because it only happens on the single-ended outputs and I've always used the balanced outputs (the balanced outputs remain perfectly silent when switching sample rates). However, I have recently expanded my system to the point where I also need to use the single-ended outputs so it's becoming a bit of an issue, as I often forget to turn the volume down low before the next track starts, and so I'm concerned about the potential damage to my headphone and loudspeaker drivers from repeated exposure to this noise.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #10,435 of 12,237
Hi ToTo man,
I'll try it on SE when i get get some free time today. That said, might i suggest not using SE? :)
You can always use a XLR splitter. To me, the yggy sounds better via the XLR output. I've been using a splitter for a long time and haven't noticed a diff between split and non-split.
Maybe try a Y splitter and if you require a SE to connect to another device you you can add an adaptor at the end of one of the runs.
XLR to 2 XLR works great. XLR to 1 XLR and 1 XLR to RCA? hrmm.. is something funky happening? *shrug* - but even if it is, it might be better than using the SE output. :D

I used the moon audio XLR -> RCA on my gungnir and was happier with that can just using the native SE out.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #10,436 of 12,237
Hi ToTo man,
I'll try it on SE when i get get some free time today. That said, might i suggest not using SE? :)
You can always use a XLR splitter. To me, the yggy sounds better via the XLR output. I've been using a splitter for a long time and haven't noticed a diff between split and non-split.
Maybe try a Y splitter and if you require a SE to connect to another device you you can add an adaptor at the end of one of the runs.
XLR to 2 XLR works great. XLR to 1 XLR and 1 XLR to RCA? hrmm.. is something funky happening? *shrug* - but even if it is, it might be better than using the SE output. :D

I used the moon audio XLR -> RCA on my gungnir and was happier with that can just using the native SE out.
I hear ya, Zurv. Yggy's balanced output is noticeably better sounding to my ears, and I am currently making the most of it. Previously I split the balanced output into two balanced amps using an XLR-splitter cable, but now I use a Kramer VS-4X box that allows me to switch Yggy's balanced output between as many as four balanced amplifiers. I could in theory plug an XLR-to-RCA cable into one of the Kramer's outputs and send that to my SE amp, but I was previously advised that doing this would result in poorer sound than just using Yggy's SE output. I was advised to buy a transformer like the Jensen IsoMax but these are pricey and hard to come by in the UK. I was really just wondering if my Yggy is an anomaly or if the sample rate switching 'popping' noise is common on all Yggys?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #10,437 of 12,237
I had a similar issue recently with my BF2. The SE out had a pop in the right channel whenever the relay was engaged. Schiit was awesome enough to swap the output board for me. My hunch, tho, is that there was some static discharge that my headamp didn't quite discharge thru ground properly. The XLR still worked great, but SE was distorted in the right channel.

I've only ever used the SE out on my Yggy GS, and haven't experienced what you're describing. Only the "click" from the relay itself, not through the speakers. Sounds like it may need serviced. :€

May 3, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #10,438 of 12,237
I bought a yggy! My headphone amp only has RCA inputs and I’ve heard the yggy sounds better using XLR out, even with a XLR to RCA converter. Could anyone recommend a decent converter? How big is the improvement?

May 3, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #10,439 of 12,237
I bought a yggy! My headphone amp only has RCA inputs and I’ve heard the yggy sounds better using XLR out, even with a XLR to RCA converter. Could anyone recommend a decent converter? How big is the improvement?
Give rca a try. Honestly probably better to upgrade the amp what you running now?
Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 1.5 Feet - Black With E21Gold Plated Connectors | 16AWG Shielded Twisted Pair Oxygen-Free Copper Braid Conductors - Premier Series https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001UJCS8...abc_PNXYSPFD7QSTB3X4741V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

May 3, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #10,440 of 12,237

Users who are viewing this thread

Back