Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 23, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #10,156 of 12,304
Give a 100 hours before the magic starts to happen! Leave it powered up 24/7 for best performance!

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #10,159 of 12,304
Well, I just wqnted to say Hello. I have a Yggy A2 coming in this week so I'll be joining this thread some, to ask questions and provide info when I can.

My unit is coming with the USB Gen 5, but I have a Unison USB card on order. I see that even with the Unison USB, a lot of folks consider the AES input better. I may have to look into an AES source some day...

I've read a lot of the thread and I wanted to thank everyone who have posted tips, suggestions, and experiences. I've learned a lot already.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #10,161 of 12,304
@darmccombs

As a new owner. I used a ipod and just ran it for at least 72 hours even before a listen. The best is a week burn in. This is no joke. Im finally 7 days in and its the best dac i have every heard!!
Thanks for the tip. I will do a good burn in. I hear that we need to do that even having the unit unplugged for a while. But, I can't promise that I won't listen to it during burn. I'll be just too curious.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #10,162 of 12,304
@ darmccombs,

I was two, if you can resist , hold out for 72 hours. up to 48 hours was harsh and by 72 it started to show the magic. Thats when instrument separation started to come through and better bass.

enjoy, this dac is really letting me rediscover my music!!

m usicguy

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #10,163 of 12,304
Thanks for the tip. I will do a good burn in. I hear that we need to do that even having the unit unplugged for a while. But, I can't promise that I won't listen to it during burn. I'll be just too curious.
Sounds like you bought a used one? Should already be quite burned in already. Itll probably be quite good after 24 hours. Probably 95% of the way there. I have an aes connected transport for music and honestly dont hear a difference vs unison direct from pc. Ymmv.

If you havent done so already, read/follow the guide below to do your install.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...l-gen-5-unison-usb-upgrade-instructions.4842/

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #10,164 of 12,304
Sounds like you bought a used one? Should already be quite burned in already. Itll probably be quite good after 24 hours. Probably 95% of the way there. I have an aes connected transport for music and honestly dont hear a difference vs unison direct from pc. Ymmv.

If you havent done so already, read/follow the guide below to do your install.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...l-gen-5-unison-usb-upgrade-instructions.4842/
Thank You for link. Thats so nice of you to put it here.

I already have this downloaded to my iPad, and have read through it twice. 32 screws, 1 ribbon cable, and gently pull the old board up when removing, so the long pins don’t get bent. Can you tell that I’m excited to get this? :gs1000smile:

And, thank you for the feedback regarding AES and the Unison. That's good to know. I like the simplicity of using the Ipad I always have around.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #10,165 of 12,304
the consensus is the yggy doesn't get to full quality till it has been on for a month (not burned in for a month.. but on...)
look forward to the fear of it losing power :)
Totally worth it tho

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #10,166 of 12,304
I'm listening to my Yggdrasil A1 - Lynx soundcard AES - in my office right now and sounds great! I might send it in for A2 and Unison USB sometime this fall, but it still sounds great as an A1! I'd really love to hear if there's a difference between AES and the Unison USB.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #10,167 of 12,304
the consensus is the yggy doesn't get to full quality till it has been on for a month (not burned in for a month.. but on...)
look forward to the fear of it losing power :)
Totally worth it tho
Instant Poll: So how many of you Yggy owners have yours connected up to a battery-powered backup power supply?

I get a power blip every other week that's long enough to shut down my alarm clock and usually my PC.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #10,168 of 12,304
I'm listening to my Yggdrasil A1 - Lynx soundcard AES - in my office right now and sounds great! I might send it in for A2 and Unison USB sometime this fall, but it still sounds great as an A1! I'd really love to hear if there's a difference between AES and the Unison USB.
I felt like the Unison upgrade made a bigger difference in the sound than the A2 upgrade did. But that might not be the case if you're already running AES.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #10,169 of 12,304

I don't know about a consensus, but I'm with it coming good after about a week initially. There are to many factors that would influence at least my own perception over a month to be certain about anything that long.

I got a question from someone asking me if I thought they were crazy because they changed their USB source from a computer to a high-quality streamer using the Unison input and felt that the streamer was better. I tried it myself and there was a bit of an improvement -- in my case using a Raspberry Pi with DietPi and linear power supply going through a USB noise filter. Mind you, I do have TOTL headphones. I wonder if it would be noticeable through less than $3k+ level flagships and matching amp.

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #10,170 of 12,304
I felt like the Unison upgrade made a bigger difference in the sound than the A2 upgrade did. But that might not be the case if you're already running AES.
This is great to hear. I just got my Yggy on Friday, and I’ll get the Unison board on Monday. The Yggy is sounding pretty sweet already. Any SQ improvement from here is bonus. It would be nice if i dont have to upgrade my source to AES.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back