Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 7, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #10,126 of 12,283
I'd like to know that too. I have an A2 that I had modified to also add the Unison USB. However I use an Audio Hydra Z as a bridge from my MAC Mini's USB to give me AES input for my Yggy. So I have not even tried my Unison USB port. All I know is I really like my current sound/set up. It will be interesting to hear what other Yggy users have to report!

Jul 7, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #10,127 of 12,283
I'd like to know that too. I have an A2 that I had modified to also add the Unison USB. However I use an Audio Hydra Z as a bridge from my MAC Mini's USB to give me AES input for my Yggy. So I have not even tried my Unison USB port. All I know is I really like my current sound/set up. It will be interesting to hear what other Yggy users have to report!
I mean... you sound like the perfect person to test and report to us the differences!

Jul 7, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #10,128 of 12,283
It depends the source. Here's my experience:

several sources* I tried USB 5 < Auralic Aries Femto AES < (Allo USBridge + Sbooster) LPS Unison <= (Pi2AES AES + Meanwell SMPS)

* lost count, but included (microRendu + ultracap PS), (Allo USBridge + Sbooster), and likely others

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #10,129 of 12,283
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #10,130 of 12,283
yggy is getting a workout this weekend test out my HP amp :)

20200711_165608488_iOS.jpg

Jul 11, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #10,131 of 12,283
why is it that my yggy doesn't switch up to 24 bits (2x) when playing 24 bit files with 48k sample rate or lower. Only when I use a 24 bit file with 96k sample rate or higher does it switch from 1x to 2x. It still sounds good and maybe not a problem but I still have been converting my 44.1k and 48k 24 bit files to 16 bit just to make sure the dac is recieving the correct signal.

A lot of the music I've received recently on bandcamp and nugs.net come in these 24 bit 48k or 44.1k formats. wondering if it's worth even fussing over in the first place as I probably wouldn't have noticed via listening, it's just now that I have seen the light not moving to 2x when I play these songs and I can't get it out of my head I may be missing something.
Also does the yggy even correctly convert 96k files since it only has 44k and 48k lights? what am I missing here?

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #10,132 of 12,283
Those x1, x2, x4 lights are multipliers of the base 44.1 and 48KB sample rates and not bit depth.

JJ

Jul 11, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #10,133 of 12,283
oh sweet thank you for clearing that up. I guess I had never considered it means what it reads and has nothing to do with bit depth.

So I have been using a loki to bump up the bass a bit and have been trying to figure out if it should come before or after the preamp(sys or freya+). Right now I am using it in between the preamp and amp and I think it sounds pretty good but switching it to in between the yggy and the sys it seems to change a bit but still sounds just as good. Which is the preferred configuration?

And when using the loki, will turning the nobs up (past the middle flat position) cause distortion? is it better to turn the nobs of the frequencies you want less of down? How does the loki amplify the analogue signal? and does it effect quality?

Jul 12, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #10,134 of 12,283
As a general rule a preamp can 'drive' the signal thru to the amp, including the external EQ, better than the dac can.

Realistically, just use what sounds best to you, as that's really all that matters.

As for Loki's added distortion etc.…
If the net result of twisting the knobs anywhich way is better than not, then go with that.
And if the how much of this vs that 'gets in the way' of enjoying the music then go to extremes and work backwards until it sounds better than flat…

I'd suggest you start flat and fuss with them a bit at a time and use as little as possible, then pick one knob then further dial it in, then go to the next etc. etc.
Or just play with the knobs to hear what is possible etc. Lots of choices…

JJ

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #10,136 of 12,283
I have a question, the Yggdrasil is a R2R laser trimmed IC right?

You gotta talk to Analog Devices support for that to see if the AD5791 is laser trimmed or not

Users who are viewing this thread

Back