Schiit Yggdrasil Impressions thread
Jul 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #8,821 of 12,309
@gdhal why do you keep insisting that the Yggy doesn't have a "burn in" time? For one, it's not s "burn in" time, it's a warm up time. The Analog Devices dac chips need time to operate at 100% capa- you know what why am I explaining this I don't believe that you don't know what I'm taking about. Secondly, Schiit burns in Yggdrasils for 3 days before shipping out so yeah there wouldn't really be a burn I'm time would there?

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #8,822 of 12,309
@D2Girls hey now! to answer your question, for one I don't see any mention of warm up on the chip data sheet http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5791.pdf

Right. I know there are resistors and so many other components.

Secondly, I never technically stated that electronic components do not have any burn in time (warm up, or whatever else you care to consider it). Rather, what I am saying is that the amount of time is negligible and inaudible.

Jul 17, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #8,823 of 12,309
In my case, I was/am able to discern the Yggdrasil *in a blind test* from the only other audiophile grade DAC I have (Oppo UDP205. I wouldn't settle for nothing less than being able to make that determination blindly. Very difficult indeed, although with the "right" music it can be done. Most people will admit to the fact that it is rather difficult to distinguish between good (and better than good) DACs. When I first obtained the Yggy and was in my "15 day return trial period", this was the time (many hours per day) I spent trying (and eventually succeeding) to find the justification for spending the 2.3K when I already have a DAC (Oppo UDP205) that by some accounts https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-...dp-205-uhd-blu-ray-player-owner-s-thread.html is the best digital they've heard.

Both blind and sighted volume matched are tough in short samples. You have to really focus on an instrument or passage you are very familiar with.

For me the real deciding factor was when I went back and forth between my old DAC and the Yggdrasil over 3 day periods. I would listen to each for 3 days straight using my favourite albums and did this multiple times. It became pretty obvious after a few cycles the Yggdrasil presented the music and instruments differently and I much preferred it. Of course this technique means nothing at ASR, they believe if you can't tell the difference in 10 second spirts blind there is no difference.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #8,824 of 12,309
"wanting to assure myself the purchase was/is as advertised and the unit is of exceptional value...."

So that's it eh?

Well after all the folks who have these units that like them and have compared them to other stuff they have and indicate that these units are very, very good...and the techie folks from here and other sites, reviewers stating that this unit meets of exceeds their published specs....and having this type of unit as well and being able to listen to it...and make a decision if it sounds good or not....you still are naïve enough to be upset from someone stating negative things about the unit you just spent $2300 on...

Is it you don't want to be duped or just want to make sure you made a great $2300 decision?

I do not have this device, I do have a Bifrost and when all this crap started and even the Bifrost was negatively impacted I took this with a grain of salt, but like you I was concerned but rather than jumping on the wagon and thinking a company like Schitt would send out "bad" stuff...and having listened to this dac as well as several others...I awoke to the is this really an issue, is this really an audible defect, it sounds so good so what is really happening here...

The negative comments about this and other dacs were so ugly, I kept going back and re-listening and was wondering why am I not hearing the glaring defects?? Why am I smiling so much when using this device and listening to great music...?? How can supposed bad measurements make a dac sound so good?? Why aren't "Pleathora" of other audio sites stating this device is deficient??

I wont even mention this persons name.

Why on earth would a company like Schitt send out crap??? Surely this is a going out of business sale model.

Maybe the people that dislike this dac for whatever reason should just go by someone else's, one that is not up-gradeable….etc...and just be happy in believing someone else's specs and measurements.....

Maybe this will make those people happy and go back and crawl into their audio cave of excellence!

Alex

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #8,826 of 12,309
I'm pretty sure Moffat has stated that a warm Yggy sounds better than a cold Yggy. I also recall that a demo unit arrived at a reviewers home with a note stating same, and the reviewer agreed.

FWIW, I don't perform any tests or calibrations until the unit under test and all the test equipment required have been on for at least half an hour.

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #8,827 of 12,309
Both blind and sighted volume matched are tough in short samples. You have to really focus on an instrument or passage you are very familiar with.

For me the real deciding factor was when I went back and forth between my old DAC and the Yggdrasil over 3 day periods. I would listen to each for 3 days straight using my favourite albums and did this multiple times. It became pretty obvious after a few cycles the Yggdrasil presented the music and instruments differently and I much preferred it. Of course this technique means nothing at ASR, they believe if you can't tell the difference in 10 second spirts blind there is no difference.

+1

My volume matching was spot on. I also conducted a similar "let's do without" the yggdrasil and see/hear what happens..... opted to retain/prefer the Yggy :)

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #8,828 of 12,309
"wanting to assure myself the purchase was/is as advertised and the unit is of exceptional value...."

So that's it eh?

Well after all the folks who have these units that like them and have compared them to other stuff they have and indicate that these units are very, very good...and the techie folks from here and other sites, reviewers stating that this unit meets of exceeds their published specs....and having this type of unit as well and being able to listen to it...and make a decision if it sounds good or not....you still are naïve enough to be upset from someone stating negative things about the unit you just spent $2300 on...

Is it you don't want to be duped or just want to make sure you made a great $2300 decision?

I do not have this device, I do have a Bifrost and when all this crap started and even the Bifrost was negatively impacted I took this with a grain of salt, but like you I was concerned but rather than jumping on the wagon and thinking a company like Schitt would send out "bad" stuff...and having listened to this dac as well as several others...I awoke to the is this really an issue, is this really an audible defect, it sounds so good so what is really happening here...

The negative comments about this and other dacs were so ugly, I kept going back and re-listening and was wondering why am I not hearing the glaring defects?? Why am I smiling so much when using this device and listening to great music...?? How can supposed bad measurements make a dac sound so good?? Why aren't "Pleathora" of other audio sites stating this device is deficient??

I wont even mention this persons name.

Why on earth would a company like Schitt send out crap??? Surely this is a going out of business sale model.

Maybe the people that dislike this dac for whatever reason should just go by someone else's, one that is not up-gradeable….etc...and just be happy in believing someone else's specs and measurements.....

Maybe this will make those people happy and go back and crawl into their audio cave of excellence!

Alex

Hi Alex. You're comments are well received (by me). Please allow me to focus my reply on your particular question: Is it you don't want to be duped or just want to make sure you made a great $2300 decision?

My answer would be I'd like to ensure I made a great $2300 purchase. As defined by alternatives. BTW, without intentionally meaning to bring up Amir and his measurements, this aspect is perhaps his greatest point, for right or wrong. To some extent, it should or would be in everyone's best interest to understand if the same technical / measurement performance can be had for a fraction of the yggy cost. EDIT: ASR claims it can be :astonished:

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #8,829 of 12,309
I'm pretty sure Moffat has stated that a warm Yggy sounds better than a cold Yggy. I also recall that a demo unit arrived at a reviewers home with a note stating same, and the reviewer agreed.

FWIW, I don't perform any tests or calibrations until the unit under test and all the test equipment required have been on for at least half an hour.

Half hour is reasonable. I understand Moffat's/Schiit recommendation as to leaving the unit on.... temperature equilibrium and all that....the recommendation was dropped in version 2 of the manual....

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #8,830 of 12,309
Well we hit the nail on the head eh!!

Ok let me say this...I firmly believe there are "many" devices that cost less and cost more than this device that work very well, and would be hard to tell apart from each other in blind testing.

It is in our best interest in understanding that there are other options out there for less and more cost that provide a similar experience, but this can be said for most of the audio toys out there...OMG...speaker wire, speakers, headphones , yadda, yadda, yadda....

I have done a lot of blind AB testing with my stuff and other stuff and most of the time its...why did I just spend all that money for???

The answer is because I can and like many others just want to see what the latest and supposedly greatest stuff is all about...rather than reading opinions, getting and trying out stuff in my home, allows me to be the judge not someone on a site trying to make a name for themselves...

So with this in mind Schitt has a return policy....so if you think your $2300 purchase is not justified...then just return in and buy that $100 device and be happy!

Alex

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #8,831 of 12,309
@adydula I "liked" your post and have no disagreement what-so-ever. And, to your point, this is why I did my do diligence within the return policy window. Other than John Atkinson's measurement info, all other measurement data was known to me after I already purchased the unit. I can "live" with whatever happens to surface, for good or bad. Meantime, I'm enjoying the tunes: http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #8,833 of 12,309

WHAT?!? No Nightwish? For shame, for shame. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Well, now I'm off to "burn in" my zipcord...I mean, my speaker wires. (Where the hell is the "strike" font option on this silly software? Gah.)

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #8,834 of 12,309
So once I have a proper remote for the [Topping] DX7s, I can take it back to work and more closely compare the filter settings. I doubt that one of them suddenly fixes the sound stage differences, but I feel like I should at least give it a shot.

Just wanted to report back that none of the seven filters in the DX7s give me anything other than a flat, close sound stage with the Gustard H20 and Ether C Flow. I seem to have a preference for filter #4 (linear phase slow roll-off), so I'll stick with that one from now on. Should I suddenly find a song with which I get a sound stage depth remotely comparable to the Yggdrasil, I'll mention it. Don't hold your breath. :)

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #8,835 of 12,309
Here's my solution to anyone who's got a problem with with the half second delay between input changes on the Yggy: Buy two! Of course you'd need a preamp with two sets of balanced inputs.
Finally an excuse to buy four Yggdrasils and three Freyas! Be right back, gotta tell the wife!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back